Language thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here picked up a new language or looking to learn a new language? Soo gal pls.

What language are you looking to pick up?
How long have you been at it?
How are you progressing so far?
How are you studying? Books, YT, Rosetta Stone, duolingo, other media etc.

I endorse this thread!! I started studying Spanish last year and I ended up taking it as an extra A-level because I picked it up quickly so rn I'm just trying to make sure I don't forget it. I start Portuguese language classes next week so I'm excited about that too. I personally hate studying with a passion so I used to watch films, read books and I even ended up liking some weird Spanish rap battles. One of the rap battlers came to London and I met him it was really cringey but yeah, fun. Hopefully, I'll get my Portuguese to a fluent level by this summer and then I can (finally) start on Arabic I'A.

I endorse this thread!! I started studying Spanish last year and I ended up taking it as an extra A-level because I picked it up quickly so rn I'm just trying to make sure I don't forget it. I start Portuguese language classes next week so I'm excited about that too. I personally hate studying with a passion so I used to watch films, read books and I even ended up liking some weird Spanish rap battles. One of the rap battlers came to London and I met him it was really cringey but yeah, fun. Hopefully, I'll get my Portuguese to a fluent level by this summer and then I can (finally) start on Arabic I'A.

:salute:

I'm looking to learn Spanish right now. I've finally decided between Arabic and Spanish. I'm on amazon rn looking to pick up a few books. The book I bookmarked last week is gone and my prime ran out yesterday. 2017 Spanish learning Slickback would've given up and taken it as a sign from the universe, but not 2018 Slickback. :banderas:
We gon'do it big this year.

I hate studying too, but I've just accepted that I have to get to a level where I can start consuming latin media. Watch TV shows and understand like 70% then im gucci.

Are the Portuguese classes private or part of your school programme?

:dead: at you meeting Spanish battle rappers off the internet :deadosama::deadmanny:

Anyone here picked up a new language or looking to learn a new language? Soo gal pls.

What language are you looking to pick up?
How long have you been at it?
How are you progressing so far?
How are you studying? Books, YT, Rosetta Stone, duolingo, other media etc.

yes i am learning french!
i have been learning for a really long time, like almost 3 years.. but i am a lazy person that just falls out of it all the time. like i'll be very motivated one month but then i wont do anything the next two months:ivers:

so far i am doing pretty good, like i can partly understand a text-message good.

and i use books+youtube+memorise

i love learning new languages

Last edited:
:salute:

I'm looking to learn Spanish right now. I've finally decided between Arabic and Spanish. I'm on amazon rn looking to pick up a few books. The book I bookmarked last week is gone and my prime ran out yesterday. 2017 Spanish learning Slickback would've given up and taken it as a sign from the universe, but not 2018 Slickback. :banderas:
We gon'do it big this year.

I hate studying too, but I've just accepted that I have to get to a level where I can start consuming latin media. Watch TV shows and understand like 70% then im gucci.

Are the Portuguese classes private or part of your school programme?

:dead: at you meeting Spanish battle rappers off the internet :deadosama::deadmanny:

Good choice 2018 Slickback, Spanish is probably one of the easiest languages to learn and there are too too many resources available. The Portuguese classes are private and expensive so I'll deffo be attending. Which shows are you watching? Don't tell me you're on those telenovelas?

Good choice 2018 Slickback, Spanish is probably one of the easiest languages to learn and there are too too many resources available. The Portuguese classes are private and expensive so I'll deffo be attending. Which shows are you watching? Don't tell me you're on those telenovelas?

Nah, I'm talking about Narcos, Chapo and that new netflix show La casa de papel (meant to be pretty decent). Just general media too.

But hey, I'm open to anything amiga
Tsxl6CM.png

yes i am learning french!
i have been learning for a really long time, like almost 3 years.. but i am a lazy person that just falls out of it all the time. like i'll be very motivated one month but then i wont do anything the next two months:ivers:

so far i am doing pretty good, like i can partly understand a text-message good.

and i use books+youtube+memorise

i love learning new languages

I hate French. I did German, Dutch, Latin, Greek and English in school. French was the only subject I ever failed. Cuqdad ban ka qaaday

@cinina how's your Spanish right now though? Hard to put a metric on it, but at what level are you?

It's pretty decent, whenever I meet Spanish people from uni they legit think I'm from Spain because of all the slang I picked up from the rap battles (plus I do banging accent impressions). Also, don't watch Narcos it's dead like it makes me cringe because before it came out I watched the original series and that was authentically Colombian. I can recommend some shows for you if you like, I'm a bit of a romantic tho so you might not like it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nah, I'm talking about Narcos, Chapo and that new netflix show La casa de papel (meant to be pretty decent). Just general media too.

But hey, I'm open to anything amiga
Tsxl6CM.png

I hate French. I did German, Dutch, Latin, Greek and English in school. French was the only subject I ever failed. Cuqdad ban ka qaaday

In which country are you learning this many languages in school? :ohhh:

Latin and Greek?

I wish I was able learn those at school, would've been amazing.

ROMA INVICTA
VAE VICTIS

It was compulsory in my class, but I only went there for two years. All I remember from Latin is very basic vocab and absolutely nothing from Greek.

In which country are you learning this many languages in school? :ohhh:

Netherlands, but the school system is very different from the UK. It depends on which school you go to and which route you take, which in turn depends on the results from your primary school. They do like a year 6 SATS equivalent. Just harder and way more serious lol

It's pretty decent, whenever I meet Spanish people from uni they legit think I'm from Spain because of all the slang I picked up from the rap battles (plus I do banging accent impressions). Also, don't watch Narcos it's dead like it makes me cringe because before it came out I watched the original series and that was authentically Colombian. I can recommend some shows for you if you like, I'm a bit of a romantic tho so you might not like it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Yo wtf that's legit Spanish then. :wtf:

I watched Narcos season 1 when it came out. That low key inspired me!

Nigga was yelling 'Nosotros somos bandidos hijos de putas!!' for days in the kitchen while cooking

11 and a half months, I was watching Aguero vids on yt but there were no subs so I was like fk it I can do this. Which books are you going to get?

Gangster asf. Most likely the assimil super pack. Then maybe a grammar book. Idk, those cadaans on reddit always extra.

I'm gonna check for a few torrents and see which one is the easiest to follow lol

That's impressive wallahi. You got me motivated :friendhug:

Any particular reason you're going for Portuguese now?

Gangster asf. Most likely the assimil super pack. Then maybe a grammar book. Idk, those cadaans on reddit always extra.

I'm gonna check for a few torrents and see which one is the easiest to follow lol

That's impressive wallahi. You got me motivated :friendhug:

Any particular reason you're going for Portuguese now?

Cadaans are really slow like they can't pronounce shit so half the book will be about how to pronounce j/ge/gi sound. You won't need that just dive right in with the grammar shit, it's pretty straight forward when you think about it because the hardest part (reflexive verbs) are used in Somali too (sorta).

Yeah my flatmates are all from Brazil and I want to increase the banter level plus it's really similar to Spanish so it should be quite easy. Gd luck hunny and make sure you lose all your inhibitions and are always ready to look stupid (you invariably will). Oh and SPANISH SUBTITLES, then none at all. Imagine how impressed latina girls will be when you hit them with a Garcilaso de La Vega line :wowsweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.