Is Xawaash seasoning somali originally or is it Yemeni?

It’s Yemeni or at least it was them who introduced this spice blend to us. This isn’t surprising since modern Somali cuisine is heavily (maybe entirely?) influenced by outside cultures, even the word ‘Xawaash’ derives from an Arabic word (Hawaij).

negro Yemenis copied many thing from us including our Dirac.

they took coffee from us in the horn. Wallahi you need some dhig. Chances are they copied it from us since we were deep in the spice trade to the point that the Greeks thought cinnamon came from us.

You're still traumatized from the 90s Habar wars that you think random people are from clans they don't belong to. Hah. You remind me of those Vietnam vets that get PTSD triggers over the sight of non la hats or pho soup. I wonder what it is about me that is triggering you. Is it because I said some Isaaq old heads told me Sacad Muse joined the SNM battlefield after getting out of their Somalia gov't offices a few weeks before Barre was defeated? Or that Bixi is a war criminal who shelled his hooyos neighbourhood while her family was having quraac? Seek therapy my dude. I have no dog in this fight. My clan has zero connection with yours, political or otherwise. I am practically a foreigner to you. I might as well be Yoruba and you Yemeni (in your dreams but I'll entertain you). I am not a qabiiliste like you. I don't like the clan talk and it's beneath me.
I know you have real ties to the CG which is why you always reply when I mention your CG blood 💀
Stay triggered my sand dwelling friend who twerks his futo for DL far right cadaan men

We don't even use Saffron in our Spice mix like the Arabs. In fact, the Yemeni Spice Mix does not even use Cinnamon. We do! They use black pepper, cardamom, cumin, and turmeric and Saffron.

The Sweet & Savoury Spice Mix is a Somali thing.

Stop crediting our culture etc, to others that we have traded with for Centuries. Why assume that we never influenced other people? Why are we always presented as passive consumers and copycats?

Somali Ma Noola.

Our food doesn't even taste like Indian food or Yemeni food or any of the groups we're accused of copying. Somali food tends to be milder and has a sweet/savoury component. That's also why we're fond of eating ripe bananas with our rice or baasto. To balance out the savoury and for some to cool down the bisbaas.

We need Somali chefs, who study Somali history, to fight against the historical revisionism/ignorance.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Somalis and Yemenis pronounce xawaash the same.

I think both Somalis and Yemenis made it separately from their trade with India over two millenia ago.

Around the time of Jesus (AS) birth, Somalia was known as the cape of spices and a trading point for Indian/Asian traders to sell their spices to Mediterranean markets.

Cities such as Opone, Mosylon etc. became well known for selling Indian Cinnamon and introducing to Arab populations.

TLDR: I am saying that Somalis made the blend themselves through trade with other nations.

Yemen did the same also.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
My clan ties are in Dhagaxbuur
You are Og?
Down With Love Omg GIF

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Finally.

Look at what Somalis did to the Italian Baasto. Did the Yemenis teach us to season that bland mess too.

:gucciwhat:
Can we talk about how somali baasto is superior? I’ve ate at italian restaurants and their food is dry and bland, why are they so hyped? Niggas literally have to add alcohol to their food to put the customers into a utopia so they think they feeling good from the cunto
Spit Out Adam Sandler GIF by Saturday Night Live

Somalis and Yemenis have been traders for more than a millennia. Our food is a testaments of how much a trading hub certain parts of our nation was. Calling it ‘Yemeni’ is silly as both Yemenis and Somalis were in fact inspired by Indian cuisine through trading with them for spices.
Hence Hawash is very much Somali.

Yall give too much credit to Yemen when most spices come from India & got introduced to Yemenis same way it got introduced to Somalis = trough trades.
LOL, exactly. Yemen got their spices through trading with the Indians, as did we so I’m confused as to how Yemen is even in the equation. They were influenced by the Indians the same way we were and it is a fact that Indian traders used to come to Somalia.

LOL, exactly. Yemen got their spices through trading with the Indians, as did we so I’m confused as to how Yemen is even in the equation. They were influenced by the Indians the same way we were and it is a fact that Indian traders used to come to Somalia.
There's a hidden agenda from certain qabilist who don't want to give credit to their fellow Somalis & want to arab wash our history ,since they believe they arabs themselves lol.

Yemen is in the equation simply because the word Xawash itself is borrowed from the Yemeni Xawaij which is demonstrative of how they had a culinary cultural impact on us. This does not mean that Yemenis were the pioneers of the spices used in Xawash. Considering the historical contact we had with Yemenis, be it Somalis settling/trading in Yemen or Yemeni settlers in both North (Djibouti) and South Somalia, it is no surprise that they influenced our use of Xawaij. With the increased urbanisation of Somalis in the 20th century and the subsequent sophistication of our diet, we made Xawaij our own by refining it to suite our palate.

Human beings have borrowed from each other since time immemorial. Europeans were influenced by the Middle Easterners who in turn were influenced by the Indians etc. Even Indians and Arabs themselves were influenced by Europeans as exemplified by how tomatoes and potatoes became common in the New World thanks to European contact with Native Americans. Several curries, aloo paratha, aloo dishes are not less authentically Indian because potatoes and tomatoes were borrowed.

Some Somali diaspora born/raised nationalists, not you walaal, are bloody insecure and think an acknowledgement of an external cultural influence is Coonery. Proper Geeljire Somalis of old did not give en eff about the supposed 'civilisational' sophistication of others in regard to food, clothing etc. It is like folk want to create a historical and cultural narrative to inflate their fragile nationalistic ego.

Yemen is in the equation simply because the word Xawash itself is borrowed from the Yemeni Xawaij which is demonstrative of how they had a culinary cultural impact on us. This does not mean that Yemenis were the pioneers of the spices used in Xawash. Considering the historical contact we had with Yemenis, be it Somalis settling/trading in Yemen or Yemeni settlers in both North (Djibouti) and South Somalia, it is no surprise that they influenced our use of Xawaij. With the increased urbanisation of Somalis in the 20th century and the subsequent sophistication of our diet, we made Xawaij our own by refining it to suite our palate.

Human beings have borrowed from each other since time immemorial. Europeans were influenced by the Middle Easterners who in turn were influenced by the Indians etc. Even Indians and Arabs themselves were influenced by Europeans as exemplified by how tomatoes and potatoes became common in the New World thanks to European contact with Native Americans. Several curries, aloo paratha, aloo dishes are not less authentically Indian because potatoes and tomatoes were borrowed.

Some Somali diaspora born/raised nationalists, not you walaal, are bloody insecure and think an acknowledgement of an external cultural influence is Coonery. Proper Geeljire Somalis of old did not give en eff about the supposed 'civilisational' sophistication of others in regard to food, clothing etc. It is like folk want to create a historical and cultural narrative to inflate their fragile nationalistic ego.

Keep in mind that both Somali and Arabic are afro asiatic languages, there will be similarties. It doesn't mean we copied them or got the word from them.

Xawaij is different from Xawaash. We literally have no proof we copied it from them, we both have our own different words that sound similar. Where's the proof? Just because some online source says it? You need to start questioning things instead of just accepting what someone said.

For example, Lug in Somali means legs, Leg in English means leg. Did we get the word Lug from the English now? There can be SIMILARITIES in languages without assuming one copied the other.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Yemen is in the equation simply because the word Xawash itself is borrowed from the Yemeni Xawaij which is demonstrative of how they had a culinary cultural impact on us.
do you have any evidence to suggest that xawaash comes from hawaaj?

Keep in mind that both Somali and Arabic are afro asiatic languages, there will be similarties. It doesn't mean we copied them or got the word from them.

Xawaij is different from Xawaash. We literally have no proof we copied it from them, we both have our own different words that sound similar. Where's the proof? Just because some online source says it? You need to start questioning things instead of just accepting what someone said.

For example, Lug in Somali means legs, Leg in English means leg. Did we get the word Lug from the English now? There can be SIMILARITIES in languages without assuming one copied the other.
do you have any evidence to suggest that xawaash comes from hawaaj?

The Afroasiatic argument is bs walaal because Xawaij means mixture in Arabic hence its use in reference to the diverse spices contained in the Yemeni Xawaij whether it is for food or beverages. Arabic has separate words for spice. The AA commonalities between Arabic and Somali does not extend to relatively modern vocabulary such as Xawash/Xawaij? Do you know how old the AA split is?

What does Xawash mean in Somali? A mixture of spices used in seasoning food and beverages such as tea. You will not find a separate word for spice in the Somali language, Xawash is a catch-all term we borrowed from the Yemeni Xawaij in reference to the seasoning adopted for food and beverages as we did not possess an indigenous word of our own. Shit ain't a random coincidence!

There is no need for mental gymnastics as it is pretty evident that they influenced us just like how Somali Xalwad is a borrowing from the Middle Eastern Xalwa, and Baasto is from Italian Pasta. The cuisine of the traditionally pastoral Maxa Tidhi Somalis was never as rich as that of the Yemen due to the simple fact that Yemenis are mainly a settled, seafaring folk who had greater cultural exchange with places as far apart as India and Indonesia. Their culinary culture is obviously richer as a result of these influences and their more settled urban culture. Tell me what quintessentially Somali dish found in nomadic or semi/nomadic Maxa Tidhi Somali settlements historically used Xawash? The use of Xawash is a relatively modern Reer Magaal innovation due to Yemeni influence on our culinary culture. It ain't no different to Macaawis which originates in Indonesia but was introduced to us via Yemen.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
The Afroasiatic argument is bs walaal because Xawaij means mixture in Arabic hence its use in reference to the diverse spices contained in the Yemeni Xawaij whether it is for food or beverages. Arabic has separate words for spice. The AA commonalities between Arabic and Somali does not extend to relatively modern vocabulary such as Xawash/Xawaij? Do you know how old the AA split is?

What does Xawash mean in Somali? A mixture of spices used in seasoning food and beverages such as tea. You will not find a separate word for spice in the Somali language, Xawash is a catch-all term we borrowed from the Yemeni Xawaij in reference to the seasoning adopted for food and beverages as we did not possess an indigenous word of our own. Shit ain't a random coincidence!

There is no need for mental gymnastics as it is pretty evident that they influenced us just like how Somali Xalwad is a borrowing from the Middle Eastern Xalwa, and Baasto is from Italian Pasta. The cuisine of the traditionally pastoral Maxa Tidhi Somalis was never as rich as that of the Yemen due to the simple fact that Yemenis are mainly a settled, seafaring folk who had greater cultural exchange with places as far apart as India and Indonesia. Their culinary culture is obviously richer as a result of these influences and their more settled urban culture. Tell me what quintessentially Somali dish found in nomadic or semi/nomadic Maxa Tidhi Somali settlements historically used Xawash? The use of Xawash is a relatively modern Reer Magaal innovation due to Yemeni influence on our culinary culture. It ain't no different to Macaawis which originates in Indonesia but was introduced to us via Yemen.
just give us the etymological orgiin of the word hawajj. your just going on a long rant as to why it must be arabic when you have no evidence supporting that. it could be a somali word just as much as it could be an arabic word.

just give us the etymological orgiin of the word hawajj. your just going on a long rant as to why it must be arabic when you have no evidence supporting that. it could be a somali word just as much as it could be an arabic word.
Hawajj simply means 'mixture' in Arabic, I already made that plain.

Hawajj is a Somali word? Yacni they borrowed it from us. Nigga please. Considering how the linguistic borrowing has mainly been one way traffic, your assertion is utter bs.

What quintessentially Somali dish that has a long History in our Mii culture uses Hawash like how the Yemeni Mandi, Hannid etc. cuisine uses Hawajj?

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Hawajj simply means 'mixture' in Arabic, I already made that plain.

Hawajj is a Somali word? Yacni they borrowed it from us. Nigga please. Considering how the linguistic borrowing has mainly been one way traffic, your assertion is utter bs.

What quintessentially Somali dish that has a long History in our Mii culture uses Hawash like how the Yemeni Mandi, Hannid etc. cuisine uses Hawajj?
your post is reeking of insecurity. why are you acting like it isnt possible for them to take things from us.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Stop romanticizing Yemen. The majority of Yemen's population were ruralite, illiterate farmers who as recently as the 2010s barely knew Somalis existed. No cap. I know people who went to tuuloyin in northern Yemen as kids about a decade ago and they did not know what a Somali was. And a significant part of Yemen was always pastoral nomadic too, the place isn't as uniformly fertile as you think. Not to mention that all of the towns in Yemen were not even built by "normal" Yemenis as things like masonry, glasswork, blacksmithing, carpentry and jewelry work were the refuge of Yemeni Jews and essentially "low-caste", ostracized tribes like in Somalia.

Anyway, it was mainly the coastal town people who traded in all this and did what you are describing and it's not like Somalis didn't also have coastal towns on their side of the Gulf and engage in the same trade. The Gulf used to be called the Gulf of Berbera for a reason. You can argue that Arabs were more active than us at this but so what? You have this weird obsession with the pastoral part of Somali culture and practically like to revision that urbanism, seafaring and all this other stuff only started in the year 1800 or 1900 for Somalis and it is utterly ridiculous. Yes, pastoral nomads were always the majority like in Arabia. Have you seen most of places like Bari and Awdal? Of course that would be the case but it doesn't change that there have always been a minority contingent of Somalis practicing settling on the coast, fishing, seafaring, settled farming and agropastoralism wherever possible. I urge you to find me a single period prior to 2kya in our coast's history using historical accounts and archaeological evidence where this was evidently not the case. You won't succeed.

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if we were influenced by Yemenis in this case and it seems the case but your self-hatred really gets annoying to behold.

Last edited:
your post is reeking of insecurity. why are you acting like it isnt possible for them to take things from us.
On the contrary, it is Somalis like you that suffer from Kalsooni Laan! I am proud of my Geeljire roots like the Somali nomad who told a British officer he was not impressed at his nation's ability to make a plane because it would not be beyond the Geeljire if he applied himself. Why should I feel inferior about Cuunto of all things? Or anything Dunya related for that matter?

I don't give an eff if we borrowed a bloody spice mix from Yemenis cos tis the nature of man to borrow from his fellow man like how Yemenis have influences from India and Indonesia due to their extensive maritime trade. Heck, even the famous Damascus steel swords are acknowledged as being made from Indian Wootz steel. Hence, why should I feel inferior to Arabs when I know they have what they have because like the rest of mankind they have also been influenced by others.