Is this an ideal solution for SL/FGS?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
According to international norms, a country will rarely ever get ictiraaf without their parent country's blessing. For example, South Sudan's independence came with Sudan's blessing and Catalonia will require Spain's blessing to become independent.

Therefore, without Somalia's blessing, it will difficult for SL to ever get independence, in the legal not practical sense. This will be harmful both entities as a rogue federal state harms Somalia's sovereignty (not as much as AS) and SL does not benefit from being a half-way country.

With that being said, if it were me I would propose this solution.

Referendums in each gobol of Somaliland, run by the UN. If a gobol gets more than 50% (a considerable majority) in favour of independence, they can leave. If they get less then they stay.

A necessary condition will be that diaspora Somalis are not allowed to participate or campaign for any side. As they can easily leave if a certain outcome does not work in the long-term, it is in everyone's best interest if they don't participate.

This will solve the SL issue and the SSC issue for good.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Wont work.

example: togdher as a state will probably vote over 50% independence howeber buuhodle district and it’s inhabitants want nothing to do with SL for the most part but are in togdher, majority will out rule them and they'll forcibly join SL. Similarly cainaabo and it’s citizens would mostly vote for SL and they will also be out done by the dhulo unionist majority. Sanag is even more complicated, will warsans from badhan district (administrated by Puntland) even take part? What if it’s exactly 50/50 which is more likey then you would think, etc. Honestly, no matter which way it goes this would just cause more conflict and isn’t a viable soloution in the long term. The people from the disputed regions have went through enough, the best the government can do is recognise them as a feral member state and then balance it out by recognising banadir as one, everyone wins

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Wont work.

example: togdher as a state will probably vote over 50% independence howeber buuhodle district and it’s inhabitants want nothing to do with SL for the most part but are in togdher, majority will out rule them and they'll forcibly join SL. Similarly cainaabo and it’s citizens would mostly vote for SL and they will also be out done by the dhulo unionist majority. Sanag is even more complicated, will warsans from badhan district (administrated by Puntland) even take part? What if it’s exactly 50/50 which is more likey then you would think, etc. Honestly, no matter which way it goes this would just cause more conflict and isn’t a viable soloution in the long term. The people from the disputed regions have went through enough, the best the government can do is recognise them as a feral member state and then balance it out by recognising banadir as one, everyone wins

For that reason, I was toying with two propositions.

1. The poll be done by district rather than per gobol. If 50% of buuhodle want to remain, let them remain. If 50% of caynaabo want to leave, let them leave. This will probably create islands of independence-wanting districts and will mean, borders will have to be redrawn. But its much better than the status quo.

2. 60% be the cutoff for independence in a gobol. That will mean a considerable majority want independence and if you're in the 40% then tough luck, you're a minority.

But the most likely scenario with my solution will probably be Maroodi Jeex (the Hargeisa, Berbera, Burco triangle) will want independence where the rest probably won't.

This will create a situation where the "British Somaliland" argument needs to be re-analysed. If the narrative behind SL is that they want colonial borders but many people within the borders don't want independence except those from certain regions, it gives SL an interesting problem.

Either Somaliland as a whole becomes an officially recognised country or Somaliland as a whole reunites with Somaliland. Nobody will ever be allowed to divide Somaliland along clan lines, the majority (50%+1) of only Somalilanders will decide the fate of SL

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Either Somaliland as a whole becomes an officially recognised country or Somaliland as a whole reunites with Somaliland. Nobody will ever be allowed to divide Somaliland along clan lines, the majority (50%+1) of only Somalilanders will decide the fate of SL

I do not think it will be fair for SL to become a nation and have regions that do not want to be independent.

Somalilanders and only those that are non-diaspora should decide its fate. Anyone that has spent more than 5 years in the West should not be involved whatsoever.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I think Somaliland is only beneficial if Somalia remains a mess. If Somalia improves, which is becoming more likely than it was 15 years ago, then there is no need for SL aside from qabyaalad.

However, aside from my beliefs, I want this issue sorted sooner rather than later. A referendum of the entire region will not work because there is a considerable group that do not want ictiraaf and are concentrated in areas.

Therefore, I think a region by region referendum works.

Somaliland cannot have its cake and eat it too. Ictiraaf will only come from Somalia and its harmful to both parties if we do not solve this quickly.

According to international norms, a country will rarely ever get ictiraaf without their parent country's blessing. For example, South Sudan's independence came with Sudan's blessing and Catalonia will require Spain's blessing to become independent.

Therefore, without Somalia's blessing, it will difficult for SL to ever get independence, in the legal not practical sense. This will be harmful both entities as a rogue federal state harms Somalia's sovereignty (not as much as AS) and SL does not benefit from being a half-way country.

With that being said, if it were me I would propose this solution.

Referendums in each gobol of Somaliland, run by the UN. If a gobol gets more than 50% (a considerable majority) in favour of independence, they can leave. If they get less then they stay.

A necessary condition will be that diaspora Somalis are not allowed to participate or campaign for any side. As they can easily leave if a certain outcome does not work in the long-term, it is in everyone's best interest if they don't participate.

This will solve the SL issue and the SSC issue for good.
I support leaving eastern sanaag and sool to Xamar if that means SL getting recognition

I support leaving eastern sanaag and sool to Xamar if that means SL getting recognition

No my friend every country in Africa has colonial made borders, we can't allow clan borders. If little Darod can accept the borders of Ethiopia then they have no excuse to not accept the borders and independence of Somaliland especially since unlike Ethiopia, everyone in Somaliland is the same ethnicity and more or less the same religion. Even our neighbour Somalia there's a lot of people who are not ethnic Somali for example Madow and Banadiri and Bravanese

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
No my friend every country in Africa has colonial made borders, we can't allow clan borders. If little Darod can accept the borders of Ethiopia then they have no excuse to not accept the borders and independence of Somaliland especially since unlike Ethiopia, everyone in Somaliland is the same ethnicity and more or less the same religion. Even our neighbour Somalia there's a lot of people who are not ethnic Somali for example Madow and Banadiri and Bravanese

My argument is not about qabiil.

It is very simple.

Somaliland cannot be independent when certain regions want to remain. If so, then they are hypocrites because they are keeping people in a union they do not want while accusing Somalia of the same.

^ No hypocrisy on my part, it's you that is comparing apples with oranges. Every region has always been part of Somaliland since SL came into existence in roughly 1884 as a result of Britain. On the other hand Somaliland and Somalia were always separated from one another except for 31 years - around seven decades before 1960 and now 30 years after 18th May 1991. Neither Somalia nor Somaliland existed before the Europeans began their Scramble for Africa in the late 19th century. Just accept both our countries are colonial products with the border drawn by cadaan

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
^ No hypocrisy on my part, it's you that is comparing apples with oranges. Every region has always been part of Somaliland since SL came into existence in roughly 1884 as a result of Britain. On the other hand Somaliland and Somalia were always separated from one another except for 31 years - around seven decades before 1960 and now 30 years after 18th May 1991. Neither Somalia nor Somaliland existed before the Europeans began their Scramble for Africa in the late 19th century. Just accept both our countries are colonial products with the border drawn by cadaan

So if Awdal and SSC choose to remain, will you keep them against their will?

That is the question.

Trending