Is there any truth to this myth of Oromos living in northern Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I see this repeated a lot by Somalis online and even back home. They say that Gaalkacyo was originally an Oromo city. Oromos are even claiming Bosaso and Hargeisa. It doesn't help when Somalis give them claim to Gaalkacyo with no evidence. I'm pretty sure that Gaalkacyo was born within the last few centuries, perhaps under Sultan Keenadiid.

Anyway, we know that the Oromo migrations originated from southern Ethiopia/northern Kenya, which is on the opposite side of the horn from northern Somalia. We also know that Somalis in Somalia proper have 0% Omotic blood, while those on the peripheries have around 5%. Omotic blood is acquired by taking Oromo concubines, which only happens when a group lives around them.

Everything that I know suggests that Oromos have never lived in northern Somalia but I would like some sources to confirm the truth.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
What you need to understand is northern Somalia was the ancestoral homeland for Somalis. Oromos never in their entire history ever existed in northern Somalia. Are you telling me Zeila and Berbera were originally Oromo?

Look at this medieval map. You'll see northern Somalis, Afars and Hararis sharing a kingdom called Adal Sultanate and Oromos were not seen on the map. They are very recent that came during the 16th century after the Oromo expansion.

1lJuoCYkRhazrEVUxSS91A.png

As for Gaalkacyo, it's believed to be named after the resistance against the Italians when Omar Samatar and his forces kicked the Italian forces out. That's why it's called "Gaal Kacyo".

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

@Factz @Crow

What do you guys think of this?

It's a fact and I know this source but @Crow talked about northern Somalia and according to Ethiopian sources. They never bordered Sidamo or Hadiye, let alone northern Somalis or Afars. They were new to the area.

Check this source. It tells you in the 16th century how northern Somalis and Afars were effected by the Oromo expansion.

e3FuA0M0RdqsLokrKirLzQ.png

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
I see this repeated a lot by Somalis online and even back home. They say that Gaalkacyo was originally an Oromo city. Oromos are even claiming Bosaso and Hargeisa. It doesn't help when Somalis give them claim to Gaalkacyo with no evidence. I'm pretty sure that Gaalkacyo was born within the last few centuries, perhaps under Sultan Keenadiid.

Anyway, we know that the Oromo migrations originated from southern Ethiopia/northern Kenya, which is on the opposite side of the horn from northern Somalia. We also know that Somalis in Somalia proper have 0% Omotic blood, while those on the peripheries have around 5%. Omotic blood is acquired by taking Oromo concubines, which only happens when a group lives around them.

Everything that I know suggests that Oromos have never lived in northern Somalia but I would like some sources to confirm the truth.

Oromos are from Southern Ethiopia originally. They never lived in the Somali part of the Horn until recently (modern migrations).

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Thank you @Factz @kobe. I knew it was Galla propaganda. A shame to see it being parroted by Somalis back home.
:farmajoyaab:

You gotta remember that myth was built up to justify the Arab daddy myth and make it more believable but foreigners are telling Somalis that you're native to your lands according to your bones and sources from the ancient & medieval travellers. They also tell you Oromos are the invaders that never lived anywhere in Somalia. They even show us a DNA test that we're not Arabs but Somali Cushites that pre-date them.
:trumpsmirk:

Imagine giving all these facts to your elders. Their response.

giphy-cry.gif

The myth was perpetrated by Somalis who wanted to claim Quraish ancestry so they attributed all non-Islamic sites to Oromo. I.M Lewis ran with these myths when he spoke to Somali elders and this myth made it to academia.

Oromos were the last Cushitic group to leave the Ethiopian highlands. Prior to their migrations, much of the Horn was settled by Somaloid speakers or other Cushitic groups.

The Hargeysa area was dominated by now low caste groups.

Gaal in old Somalia meant Geel (Camel).

Abgaal (father of the camels).
Gaaljecel (the clan that loved camels)
Hadhubgaal (camel milk container).
Dabagaale (squirrel).
Gaalkacayo probably means a place where camels departed from or were they were stationed.

#Streets gotta eat
#Suugo Science
# Beat bakhti mindset
#High performance culture
#Somali lives matter.

It's a fact and I know this source but @Crow talked about northern Somalia and according to Ethiopian sources. They never bordered Sidamo or Hadiye, let alone northern Somalis or Afars. They were new to the area.

Check this source. It tells you in the 16th century how northern Somalis and Afars were effected by the Oromo expansion.

e3FuA0M0RdqsLokrKirLzQ.png

I see you reading up on Aussa. :) Good for you.

That's an interesting quotation, but it's not a source. A source would be the book or paper it came from. Then if you had an accessible link I could find the context and maybe learn some more.

You're learning, but you're not there yet.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP

That's an interesting quotation, but it's not a source. A source would be the book or paper it came from. Then if you had an accessible link I could find the context and maybe learn some more.

Take your trolling elsewhere. I don't need you derailing my thread into World War 3
:camby:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

I am leaps and bounds ahead of you when it comes to Somali history so stop with the troll.

It says the capital was shifted to Aussa which doesn't mean anything. The Walashma Dynasty which was a Somali ruling dynasty stayed the same and when Walashma was gone that's when Adal Sultanate collapsed.

Northern Somalia is where most believe Somalis originated from, I wouldn’t think Oromo could have ever set foot in that region with how Somalis hate outsiders to encroach in their lands.

I am leaps and bounds ahead of you when it comes to Somali history so stop with the troll.

It says the capital was shifted to Aussa which doesn't mean anything. The Walashma Dynasty which was a Somali ruling dynasty stayed the same and when Walashma was gone that's when Adal Sultanate collapsed.

:icon mrgreen: It doesn't look like you've gotten to this Wiki yet. Adal was taken over almost immediately by the Afars after the administration moved to Aussa., which would have been 1577. The last Walashma ruler was killed in 1559. Now, let's get back on topic.

You still need a link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adal_Sultanate

The last Walashma ruler was "Sulṭān Barakat ʿUmarDīn 1555–1559 Son of ʿUmarDīn Maḥamed, last of the Walashma Sultans, assisted Amīr Nūr Mujahid in his attempt to retake Dawaro. He was killed defending Harar from Emperor Gelawdewos, ending the dynasty."

Sultanate of Adal
1415–1577

Flag

Approximate extension of the Adal Sultanate.
Capital Zeila (original capital, asEmirate under Ifat Sultanate from 1415–1420)[1]
Dakkar (new capital, as Sultanate from 1420–1520)[1]
Harar (1520–1577)[1]Aussa (1577-1577[2]
Common languages Arabic, Somali, Harari, and Afar
Government Kingdom
Sultan, Imam, Emir

Preceded by Succeeded by
Blank.png
Ifat Sultanate

Sultanate of Harar

Take your trolling elsewhere. I don't need you derailing my thread into World War 3
:camby:

My apologies.

You were asking for sources. The most thorough discussion of the topic I have seen is still that of Herbert S. Lewis. It's a bit dated at 1966, but has a lot of great maps and historical data.

https://www.academia.edu/248346/The_Origins_of_the_Galla_and_Somali

upload_2018-8-13_17-52-56.png

I cannot put it in context, but I was once told that Gaalkacayo was Reewiin for "the camels assembled".

Strangely, Lewis says the Oromo precedence stories have a Somali origin.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
:icon mrgreen: It doesn't look like you've gotten to this Wiki yet. Adal was taken over almost immediately by the Afars after the administration moved to Aussa., which would have been 1577. The last Walashma ruler was killed in 1559. Now, let's get back on topic.

You still need a link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adal_Sultanate

The last Walashma ruler was "Sulṭān Barakat ʿUmarDīn 1555–1559 Son of ʿUmarDīn Maḥamed, last of the Walashma Sultans, assisted Amīr Nūr Mujahid in his attempt to retake Dawaro. He was killed defending Harar from Emperor Gelawdewos, ending the dynasty."

Sultanate of Adal
1415–1577

Flag

Approximate extension of the Adal Sultanate.
Capital Zeila (original capital, asEmirate under Ifat Sultanate from 1415–1420)[1]
Dakkar (new capital, as Sultanate from 1420–1520)[1]
Harar (1520–1577)[1]Aussa (1577-1577[2]
Common languages Arabic, Somali, Harari, and Afar
Government Kingdom
Sultan, Imam, Emir

Preceded by Succeeded by
Blank.png
Ifat Sultanate

Sultanate of Harar

I dare you to name me a dynasty that ruled Adal Sultanate apart from Walashma dynasty with authentic sources and if you can't then shut up.

When Walashma fell so did Adal, get that through your thick skull. :camby:

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Oromo were squatting in the north and assimilated hararis/afar/somalis etc during the adal civil war, nobody would confront them until Somalis started organizing themselves and pushed them out. Many Oromo converted to Islam and were not seen as an enemy to the adal state. This is why their migration wasnt viewed as something that needed to be stopped. The Habasha threat was greater. Adal, when it was Harari only, also faced a Somali/afar migration, therefore oromo did not do anything that wasnt new, everyone migrants at some point in their history. Oromo are only made fun of because they were the last to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending