Is Somali Our First Language Debate

The Somali language and other African languages were in large part preserved by Muslim scholars. Giving an exegesis or explanations of the Quran required one to meticulously find a substitute word in Somali.

The scholars also found solutions to teach Arabic Quranic vowels using unique local chanting systems.

others wrote in Somali using the Arabic script.

Prominent Somalis like Sayid Muhammad were writing risalahs in the Arabic language while at the same time pioneering epic Somali poems relating to
Famous events and battles.

This kind of literal and cultural psychosis displayed in the debate whereby Arabic has to triumph over Somali and the latter has to be relegated to an inferior status is a symptom of state and societal collapse. It is also a failure within some elements of the Salafi Dawah which has come to represent a type of Arab nationalism.

These types of guys don’t write books, nor research new ideas, or even having an iota understanding of Islamic Somali history. For them-history starts in late 17th century in Saudi Arabia. Their entire deen consists of literally blind following a few Saudi scholars opinions. You never hear or see any of the those guys give lectures about Adal or the Somali scholars contributions in the Islamic world.They don’t grasp that the local conditions of how Islam was practiced, the madhabs of those People, and how the languages in which Islam spread amongst those people-were all important elements in fostering an Islamic identity. This is why in time languages like Somali, Fulani and Soninke came to be associated largely with Islamic people and practices in Africa.

It’s going to be scary when the Likes of Sheikh Mustafe are gone. You’re gonna have a lot of young daees with no understanding in the nuances between Islamic practices and intersections of language/local history and Islam.

This type of extreme fanaticism eventually leads to the types of situations we see in the Sahel, namely discrimination and even murder of non-Arabic speaking black Muslims. I don’t think Somalis will ever reach that stage due to strength of our language. The reason why I mention is to show that people who often attack
Local African languages normally suffer from an inferiority complex towards and suffer from self hatred towards black African languages. They hide behind religion to slander and belittle local languages.

Nin123

Somali supremacist
VIP
The 2 somali guys that want our language to be arab are so retarded

This two brothers want to confuse the whole Somali nation. It didn’t succeed in Somalia for as long as we were Muslim and I don’t think it will change.

There is nothing wrong with the adoption of the Arab language, you don't become Arab if you speak it. It's a a language that co-existed with the Somali language for centuries and Somalia was still known as ''Bar Al-Ajam'' i.e The Land of Non-Arabs . As foreign observers in the 1800s put it

Burton tells us that the Somali tribes, in Somaliland , call their land Barr el Ajam , " land of non - Arab peoples''

You also see this in poorly translated old maps of Somalia with it being called Ajan which is actually Ajam .i.e Non-Arabs.

Despite being able to speak the Arabic language Somalis throughout their history saw themselves as non-arabs and seperate but related people. Being able to speak it was in no way a contradiction nor did it prevent people from speaking their native Somali tongue.

Somali language was in large parts preserved and remained dominant spoken language due to the rural- urban divide. Spoke about this before:

I think this Rural V Urban divide limited the Arabic influences and loanwords in Somali, the language maintained far more it's integrity. Also back in the day it used to be sometimes common for Urban ones to send their kids out to be amongst rural relatives for a short period to learn purer more eloquent form of Somali speech and they still do this some extant nowadays as well dropping their kids into Miyi.

Even if your first language was Arabic, what i noticed that some nationalities don't fully see themselves as Arabs as in the case of Sudanese and North Africans. For some language place a big role in identity, whereas for others their citizenry or ancestry place a bigger role in their identification, it differs.

Last edited:
what kind of question is this? Most somalis born in somaliweyne speak and learn somali first and that’s how it’s been for the past few thousand years

Not true. Bring me a proof of your claims. Your average somali person in Somalia can speak only somali fluently. They can't speak either arabic or english fluently in 2024 let alone in 20th century when 90% of somalis had no academic education and were living in rural areas.

People in rural areas were familiar with Arabic and could even read and write in the 20th century. There was even rural learning centers as well.

But what differentiates the Urban and Rural especially separated from urban coastal people is that it was never adopted as a form of communication. Which is the biggest purpose in language transmission, to facilitate in communication.

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Not true. Bring me a proof of your claims. Your average somali person in Somalia can speak only somali fluently. They can't speak either arabic or english fluently in 2024 let alone in 20th century when 90% of somalis had no academic education and were living in rural areas.

You should re-read what I said.

I was only talking about Somalis with academic education from that period.

After you have re-read what I said, then rephrase your argument and then I’ll respond to it.

People in rural areas were familiar with Arabic and could even read and write in the 20th century. There was even rural learning centers as well.

But what differentiates the Urban and Rural especially separated from urban coastal people is that it was never adopted as a form of communication. Which is the biggest purpose in language transmission, to facilitate in communication.
writing and reading quran is not same as knowing normal arabic. Do you guys live in alternate reality or what ? Sometimes i think im the only somali person with common sense. Yaab

writing and reading quran is not same as knowing normal arabic. Do you guys live in alternate reality or what ? Sometimes i think im the only somali person with common sense. Yaab

They didn't just learn writing and reading the quran. There was an indigenous system of teaching Arabic known as ''Laqbo'' that developed over centuries in Somalia. This was done in both the rural and urban areas. Students pretty much became bilingual.

H96QKU3.png

You can read more about how widely spread Arabic, learning , literacy was in the rural areas in the 19th century in this piece : Tradition to Text: Writing Local Somali History in Mid 19th century

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
They didn't just learn writing and reading the quran. There was an indigenous system of teaching Arabic known as ''Laqbo'' that developed over centuries in Somalia. This was done in both the rural and urban areas. Students pretty much became bilingual.

H96QKU3.png

You can read more about how widely spread Arabic, learning , literacy was in the rural areas in the 19th century in this piece : Tradition to Text: Writing Local Somali History in Mid 19th century

The Somali prime minister Abdirazak Haji Hussein was a product of this education.

He grew up in rural Galkacyo and didn’t receive a formal education but was fluent in Arabic due to his Islamic education from dugsi.

H96QKU3.png

You are talking about 5% of the population at most. I'm talking about the average somali person. The average somali person in somalia is not bilingual in 2024. How could they be bilingual 100 or 200 years ago.

You are talking about 5% of the population at most. I'm talking about the average somali person. The average somali person in somalia is not bilingual in 2024. How could they be bilingual 100 or 200 years ago.

It was not 5%, it was a big portion of people back in the day up until the civil war. Most Somalis were either fluent in arabic or at least understood it. Even in the poorest isolated areas the Quranic/Arabic teachers would travel far and wide through out the interior teaching with wooden tablets and the same with the established rural dugsis many would go through.

The only thing i am not sure about is how substantial the decrease has been after the civil war due to breakdown of the educational system, displacement and instability in Somalia. It does feel that way in 2024 less people know Arabic and there is more emphasis on direct quranic memorization and not so much arabic language learning.

Both my parents who grew up in Somalia before the civil war and are fluent in Arabic and they never went through a formal education in it, just a regular dugsi when they were younger.

The Somali prime minister Abdirazak Haji Hussein was a product of this education.

He grew up in rural Galkacyo and didn’t receive a formal education but was fluent in Arabic due to his Islamic education from dugsi.

This goes well with something that others have pointed out in a different thread :

The heavyweight Somali politicians of the past spoke excellent Somali, Arabic and English. Now days you see Somali politicians talking like this: “arinta debate laga keenay waxa principleska motionka marka ”🤣
Even Siyaad Barre, military brute that he was, was surprisingly eloquent, despite the accent, when he spoke during interviews:

We've devolved as a culture.

Last edited: