Is somali culture in danger of arabism/islamism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
arabic is officially a second language in somalia, our clothing has a lot of arabic influences if not out right theft from arabs (qamiis), our alphabets are latin but only because we haven't created one of our own.
Well the qamiis was originally Persian. So the Arabs stole it from them and we stole it from the Arabs.

All cultures take things from others and make it their own. It's human nature.

Hafez

VIP
izar is a macawiis? what is rida?
What the Somalis nomads convered their torso with. I've been to Xamar recently and most of the people (who attended schools and in the workplace) wore Western-styled clothing. What's your opinion on this? Don't you think this is Westernizing the Somali culture?

Hafez

VIP
Well the qamiis was originally Persian. So the Arabs stole it from them and we stole it from the Arabs.

Sxb, clothing is nothing to lose sleep over. Even the Jews wore khamees ffs.
:pachah1:

it isn't a different version though...the ones somalis wear is exactly like the khaleeji one

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
arabic is officially a second language in somalia, our clothing has a lot of arabic influences if not out right theft from arabs (qamiis), our alphabets are latin but only because we haven't created one of our own.

There are more billboards written in English throughout Somalia rather Arabic so Arabic being second official language in somalia is just political policy tool, since Arab nations are among the biggest donors to Somalia. Our clothing does not have a lot of Arabic influences, qamis is religious symbol shared by billion Muslims again only worn in some cases.

We did create our own alphabet is called Osmanya.

So your whole argument is based on two pieces of clothing?

What the Somalis nomads convered their torso with. I've been to Xamar recently and most of the people (who attended schools and in the workplace) wore Western-styled clothing. What's your opinion on this? Don't you think this is Westernizing the Somali culture?
you've been to xamar recently? how was it?

ah didn't know their names, thanks of the info. I'm speaking more about what we would call CULTURAL clothing not regular clothing. pretty much the entire world wears "western clothes".

Hafez

VIP
you've been to xamar recently? how was it?

ah didn't know their names, thanks of the info. I'm speaking more about what we would call CULTURAL clothing not regular clothing. pretty much the entire world wears "western clothes".
It was nice, they've made a lot of progress alxamdulilah. One thing I like about it is that it's near the equator, so the times rarely (if ever) change, you can have a consistent schedule. It gets dark after six all year round and the sun rises at a relatively consistent time too.

The khamees wasn't sported as "cultural clothing" at all. Some of the men wore it here and there (usually for friday prayers) but that was it.

One thing I don't like is that we don't have our own script, we had a choice from three of our own, but we chose the Latin one. _._

we had osmanya and tribalism and hatred ruined that :(. i hope it comes back
It coming back would ruin our already not good enough literacy rate. It, alongside the Arabic script and the Latin script in one developing country won't work. Thats why Barre and Ataturk switched from the Arabic scripture to the Latin one. It's easier.

It coming back would ruin our already not good enough literacy rate. It, alongside the Arabic script and the Latin script in one developing country won't work. Thats why Barre and Ataturk switched from the Arabic scripture to the Latin one. It's easier.
not trying to be rude, but somali looks ugly written in Latin... I don't think it would be that bad switching back since each letter is compatible with a symbol. The problem is there are 3 options, and each made by a different qabil which will make the situation worse choosing only 1.

people won't just wake up tmrw and start writing in osmanaya. if we started today we would introduce it to schools so young kids can learn it, and then in a few generations most people would know it.

people won't just wake up tmrw and start writing in osmanaya. if we started today we would introduce it to schools so young kids can learn it, and then in a few generations most people would know it.
It won't happen nor can it possibly happen the way you envision it. Switching scripts twice without enough progress inbetween is stupid. The educational system will fail the kids and they'll become overwhelmed. The Latin script is what we needed and it's what we have.

we had osmanya and tribalism and hatred ruined that :(. i hope it comes back
Me trying to understand Osmanya.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts