Ilhan Omar supporters claim misogyny behind her failed DFL endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.

McD30

Bored to death
Hudda Ibrahim, a St. Cloud Tech and Community College faculty member and editor-in-chief at Somalicurrent.com, watched a live stream of last weekend's proceedings. It didn't surprise in the least. After all, Ibrahim says, Omar isn't just going up against other candidates. She's also contending with a tradition of misogyny that burrows centuries.

"[Noor] cannot to lose to a young Somali woman," Ibrahim says. "Even though there are a lot of men who don't demonize women — a woman candidate [like Omar] — men demonizing women is embedded in Somali culture. Somali culture is patriarchal. So when a woman is running for an office, our male-dominated society will try to undermine the woman. This is a problem in my culture and this, I believe, is what happened here. They see women only in the kitchen."

http://www.citypages.com/news/did-misogyny-sabotage-ilham-omars-bid-for-a-dfl-endorsement-8193904

McD30

Bored to death
I think there's another explanation to why Noor didn't pull out.

Abdi Warsame is a city council official. Phyllis Kahn is a Minnesota state rep. Mohamud Noor is not in office.

Phyllis Kahn is 79 which probably means she hasn't got many more terms left. I think Abdi Warsame intends to succeed her as a state representative and Noor in return for Phyllis Kahn's support will get both their endorsement as city councillor. Ilhan Omar's endorsement and subsequent election win would ruin all of this.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
This is why Ilhan doesn't have the Somali vote. Her and her supporters are prepared to shit on Somalis and Somali culture just to win. She is a SJW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending