Identity and sense of belonging

Many Somalis just go on one side and never rebound or embrace the other sides good values. Some of my friends are extremely conservative practicing muslims and others have embraced the Canadian way of life fully. You will see typical Somalis who align themselves with the Saudi culture fully and others who become white washed and can't be differentiated from a typical cadaan youth. Most people forget a third group exist and that includes me. We take from three sides ( Somali culture, deen & western values) and try our best to mix and match. A little of haram and halal mixed together and topped off with Somali culture makes a more balanced result.

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Tbh I do pretty Canadian things. I watch hockey, I speak perfect Canadian English, I know our history and I just voted last election. I dress normally you won't see me in a thobe and I respect people for who they are.

You wouldn't know I was Muslim unless I told you. I'm a typical suburban Canadian.
c00.png

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Many Somalis just go on one side and never rebound or embrace the other sides good values. Some of my friends are extremely conservative practicing muslims and others have embraced the Canadian way of life fully. You will see typical Somalis who align themselves with the Saudi culture fully and others who become white washed and can't be differentiated from a typical cadaan youth. Most people forget a third group exist and that includes me. We take from three sides ( Somali culture, deen & western values) and try our best to mix and match. A little of haram and halal mixed together and topped off with Somali culture makes a more balanced result.

The thing is, you can't do a little bit of haram and think you're still secure in your knowledge that you're a muslim. There is a certain way of being a muslim and anyone who deviates from that should not be identify themselves with it. Cognitive dissonance is a real thing.

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Tbh I don't really see how it's obvious to people. Here people think Paki=Muslim. They're aware of what Somalis are but have no idea what religion. So if I come up to you with a flannel shirt and sweatpants speaking just like you, you wouldn't think anything of it.

Tbh I don't really see how it's obvious to people. Here people think Paki=Muslim. They're aware of what Somalis are but have no idea what religion. So if I come up to you with a flannel shirt and sweatpants speaking just like you, you wouldn't think anything of it.
It's easier for men since it's visual most of the time
But somalis are overwhemligly muslim leaning so if they identify you as such then they will be right in assuming your religion with high accuracy

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
It's easier for men since it's visual most of the time
But somalis are overwhemligly muslim leaning so if they identify you as such then they will be right in assuming your religion with high accuracy
My mom wears a hijab and never wears pants. My Dad dresses just as white as I do but he loves jeans and despises sweatpants for some reason. At home he always wears a macawiis without exception.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
I remember when I first joined I was using the Somali equivalent of laughter "kkkkkkk" . They called me FOB for using it or using Somali words through my sentences. Masakiin weeye they are proud fragile Somalis but hate their tongue.

I fuse my culture with the Western culture to create a better blend of it. I live Western, but I still adhere to Islamic values. Take only the aspect of my culture that is not against Islam the rest I leave.

My mom wears a hijab and never wears pants. My Dad dresses just as white as I do but he loves jeans and despises sweatpants for some reason. At home he always wears a macawiis without exception.
The west/white world is trying to pull a fast one by claiming any modern clothing as theirs
Open your third eye sxb
Even the iconic playboy bunny outfit was made by a shawty

Trending