I went to a gym for the first time in my life but wtf?! 😭

Your origins.

Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Garaad diinle

ξ€šξ€žξ€’ξ€œξ€  ξ€ ξ€Ÿξ€‘ξ€ξ€›
'biyo' walaal is of Sanskrt, and is said in Malayala as 'biye'. I am a bit pressed for time today, and shall revisit it another time Insha'Allah.
You're losing your credit as someone well versed in af somali. Here is a list of how to say water in some cushitic languages alongside a map of where they're found.

I'm confused because you say this but earlier said I have a lot of reer konfuur influence. My family has been in Galbeed since forever.

I meant that you used Somali terms that is typical for a southern dialect, hence you may have southern influence in your Somali.

With that said, my family have lived in the same region for many many generations. It could be regional differences as well. But there're no correct and wrong either :ohno:

JackieBurkhart

The years don't matter, the life in those years do
I meant that you used Somali terms that is typical for a southern dialect, hence you may have southern influence in your Somali.

With that said, my family have lived in the same region for many many generations. It could be a regional differences as well. But there're no correct and wrong either :ohno:

Uh Huh Yes GIF

No walaal, I am no authority in the field, for I just have a passing interest in languages, and do not even consider myself a neophyte, let alone a linguist. I am studying Mandarin at the moment, and am compiling Chinese words found in Somali. Moving along ...

Garaad diinle

It's a never-ending plague, but bold of you to compare with our own lugo baasto people. They'll always look the same :mjohreally:
wallahi this kkk i can't hold myself from laughing out loud kkk. How do come up with these brilliant remarks. This one takes the cake.

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

No walaal, I am no authority in the field, for I just have a passing interest in languages, and do not even consider myself a neophyte, let alone a linguist. I am studying Mandarin at the moment, and am compiling Chinese words found in Somali. Moving along ...
Alla bal ega! War heedhe what is this? Now somali has chinese loans too? What's next you're going to say lug is a loan from english word leg?

iu

Hamzza

VIP
Well in that case, I won't question you mudane Hamza :browtf:

I always thought that it was northern and benadiri/south-central dialects that af-maxaa tiri was divided into. There are obviously other Somalia dialects like af-May, af-Tunni etc. but the two former are the main accents.
According to linguists, The Northern subdialect of Maxaa Tiri is divided into two, Waqooyi proper(Dir) and Darood. This is obviously not 100% accurate as a Geri like yourself may sound more like Gadabuursi than Mareexaan or Majeerteen, but it's the best we have so far and the author has done massive research.
23.jpg

JackieBurkhart

The years don't matter, the life in those years do
According to linguists, The Northern subdialect of Maxaa Tiri is divided into two, Waqooyi proper(Dir) and Darood. This is obviously not 100% accurate as a Geri like yourself may sound more like Gadabuursi than Mareexaan or Majeerteen, but it's the best we have so far and the author has done massive research.
View attachment 278033

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

View attachment 278033

Thanks for the detailed map.

Though, the author could've done a better and more detailed one in northern DDS. I'm pretty certain that the northern section of af-Ogaadeen could be a separate category around the Faafan area.
Looking at the differences between @JackieBurkhart and me alone is self-evident, kkk :kodaksmiley:

Also, what's up with these maps? Whenever I see one with Soomaaliweyne, even the clan maps, it always excludes part of the triangular area in the north, if you look at the area between af-Ogaadeen and af-Cisse. It's inhabited by Somalis. :francis:

Hamzza

VIP
Thanks for the detailed map.

Though, the author could've done a better and more detailed one in northern DDS. I'm pretty certain that the northern section of af-Ogaadeen could be a separate category around the Faafan area.
Looking at the differences between @JackieBurkhart and me alone is self-evident, kkk :kodaksmiley:

Also, what's up with these maps? Whenever I see one with Soomaaliweyne, even the clan maps, it always excludes part of the triangular area in the north, if you look at the area between af-Ogaadeen and af-Cisse. It's inhabited by Somalis. :francis:
Yeah, there's more diversity in Galbeed than that and the Ogaden themselves could be divided into separate related dialects, with those in Faafan & Nogob being grouped with Jidwaaq, Geri and Gadabuursi. Unfortunately, the author has restricted himself to Somalia and was using Qiyaas when mapping DDS.

The Somali clans may form the majority in that triangle but the Oromo language predominates in the area. That's my understanding I could be wrong.

Trending