I got my 23andme DNA results 🤨

Well nilotes in kenya tanzania and you could say to a degree uganda are to a large degree mixed with cushites. I think our kalenjin friend here can tell us that they call rain in their language rooba. There are a number of vocabularies they inherited from the original cushitic inhabitants of these three countries. They probably intermixed with population similar to arbore who is a somaloid people. Bantus also intermixed with cushites.

Here is a list of the cushitic vocabulary found in the proto language of the southern nilotes.

5uRbJwe.png

By the way he said that some of his cousins got e-m293 which i always thought came from either arabia or north africa. I think there were degodia, Murule and gaaljecel who by the way all belong to the same clan that got e-m293. This haplogroup might actually be ancient and might very well have come down from northern sudan along side our e-v32.
Correct for the numbers. 10 is "Taman" and 100 is "boqol" in Kalenjin. Some other common words we have:

Iyoo = "mother"
Abule = "uncle"
Siiyet = "fingernail"
Ropta = "rain"

Also, these words are general, but 2 Kalenjins might say the same words (above) differently, since the Kalenjin are a collection of tribes, each sub-tribe has its own dialect of Kalenjin. The Kalenjins closer to lake Turkana (Pokot) speak differently from those who border Masai (Kipsigis) in Narok. Some dialects have diverged slightly over centuries.

Garaad diinle

 
Correct for the numbers. 10 is "Taman" and 100 is "boqol" in Kalenjin. Some other common words we have:

Iyoo = "mother"
Abule = "uncle"
Siiyet = "fingernail"
Ropta = "rain"

Also, these words are general, but 2 Kalenjins might say the same words (above) differently, since the Kalenjin are a collection of tribes, each sub-tribe has its own dialect of Kalenjin. The Kalenjins closer to lake Turkana (Pokot) speak differently from those who border Masai (Kipsigis) in Narok. Some dialects have diverged slightly over centuries.
Interesting. You're kalenjin yourself right, if so where are you from? I know kalenjin are found everywhere from kenya, tanzania and uganda. Kalenjin also live in ethiopia if you consider the dasenech a kalenjin tribe that's been linguistically shifted towards the lowland east cushitic branch of the east cushitic language.

Last edited:
Interesting. You're kalenjin yourself right, if so where are you from? I know kalenjin are found everywhere from kenya, tanzania and uganda. Kalenjin also live in ethiopia if you consider the dasenech a kalenjin tribe that's been linguistically shifted towards the lowland east cushitic branch of the east cushitic language.
I'm from the Kipsigis sub-tribe of Kalenjin, and my cousins with E-V32/E-M293 haplogroups are also Kipsigis. My ancestral homeland is in South Bomet county, where the highlands meet the plains of Narok (Maasai-land) and the hills of Kisii/Nyamira counties. Because we lived next to the Maasai & Kisii, we developed a bitter rivalry over the centuries: lots of cattle rustling and skirmishes, but also, lots of intermarriage and adoptions from war. That probably explains my Bantu and their Cushitic haplogroups. The place looks something like this:
1688848782939.png

Also, I did not realize the Dassanech were related to Kalenjins. But, our oral history + archeology points to us entering Kenya from the southwest Ethiopian highlands. So, it makes sense that we probably mixed with some Somali-like people there. And on top of that, some Kalenjins intermarry with the Samburu/Maasai who are mixed with Rendille (cousins of the Somali?). And lastly, there is one clan in Kalenjin called "Kap-iyorya" which was founded by a Somali woman and Kalenjin man. Overall, Kalenjins rarely take DNA tests. But, the handful of autosomal DNA results that I have seen average around 20-30% Cushitic and ~70-80% Nilotic + Bantu.
1688849464780.png

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
And lastly, there is one clan in Kalenjin called "Kap-iyorya" which was founded by a Somali woman and Kalenjin man.
Truly fascinating. By the way did you say Kap-iyorya? Honestly i initially read it as kabo-yare which means small shoe and it's a somali nickname kkk. Then again i might see connections where there are non so it probably doesn't mean much.

Also, I did not realize the Dassanech were related to Kalenjins. But, our oral history + archeology points to us entering Kenya from the southwest Ethiopian highlands. So, it makes sense that we probably mixed with some Somali-like people there.
I remember reading about some of their oral history that talked about their origin and even genetic tests points to their nilotic and niger congo heritage. This check very well with your oral story so i'd say they properly were either kalenjins or some other related group that intermixed with arbore another somaliod group and then had a linguistic shift afterwords.

Another question what do you think of the following vocabulary? Are they legit?

Besides Rendille mediated E-Y18629 lineages in Samburu-Maasai, I bet many Kalenjin have Somaloid specific E-Y18629 lineages. There's plenty Somaloid influence on their language.

uMbdfdr.jpg

The Daasanach, from the northern shores of lake Turkana, are considered the same people as Kalenjin but they're further along on the Nilotic-Somaloid continuum to the point their language is considered western Omo-tana.

Last edited:

HoodHawiye

polygamist
So... I got my results, any of the haplogroup experts feel free to help me break it down. It turns out my half brother (aabo's side) did the DNA test too way before so I know my paternal haplogroup too 😏

Maternal haplogroup: m1a5 (murusade FULL Sabti)

Paternal haplogroup: J-CTS5368 (Sexawle Karanle)

Now I'm confused, because I've never come across this Y haplogroup and it seems to link back to middle east. However I have NO middle eastern DNA. I'm 99.6% east african.

I am 13.9% Ethiopian because my paternal great grandma was full Ethiopian).

I found 463 relatives most being my 3rd cousins 🤔

@convincation @Shimbiris @Mckenzie @Jungle @Garaad Hirabu
why is every faraax i know from banaadir bidaar

Interesting results. I'm from the Kalenjin tribe of Kenya. On 23andme I have Kalenjin cousins with E-V32 & E-M293. I don't know their clans, so I can't tell who the patriarch is.
Update: The (2) E-M293 cousins are from the Talai clan which is a Kalenjin clan that was originally Maasai. Then I have 2 other cousins: 1 of them has E-V32, the other is unknown (waiting to connect). It looks like they both might be direct descendants of Somali men. The first one gets Somalia as a country match, which I have never seen before. The other cousin is Half Kalenjin on his maternal side, but it is possible his grandfather may be Somali-Bantu or mixed.

Cousin with E-V32:
1704368485267.png

1704368525167.png

2nd cousin (Haplogroup unknown) below:

1704368635467.png

Trending

Latest posts