I Fear That I Won't Be Able To Move Up At The Company That I Work For (Help Me)

While there are Blacks in management, the Filipinos make up the majority at the plant (owned by the Japanese). I am in a dilemma where I enjoy the job, but want to move up and make it my career (returning to school for it).

Advice?

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian πŸ‡©πŸ‡― | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
VIP
If you feel like the asian majority will stop you from climbing up the ladder,
Leave and go to a company that will let you reach your ambitions.
Even if you like the job why would you let others put their thumb on you?

Time to move. Do your research and plan to move if you cannot see yourself growing. We are in Ramadan ask Allah to give you something better.

can you get one of them to be a mentor for you or advise you on the best way to do that? They would be your best resource resource there since they did the same thing you’re trying to do.

While there are Blacks in management, the Filipinos make up the majority at the plant (owned by the Japanese). I am in a dilemma where I enjoy the job, but want to move up and make it my career (returning to school for it).

Advice?
Let me ask: How do you spend your time at work? From the moment you clock in till you get off. I do not mean the specifics, but chunks of time.

How long have you been working for the company? How long in your current position?
What are your qualifications?

Remember: running away from challenges is never an option.

Last edited:
Let me ask: How do you spend your time at work? From the moment you clock in till you get off. I do not mean the specifics, but chunks of time.

How long have you been working for the company? How long in your current position?
What are your qualifications?

Remember: running away from challenges is never an option.
Been there for a year and three months. I spend time working at one station, but in my old department I learned 14 different stations in my five months there. In this new department I was promised the same, but it never came into fruition. When I bring it up they say that they would accommodate my needs, but nothing is done. I make production with my partner by me being the workhorse.

Been there for a year and three months. I spend time working at one station, but in my old department I learned 14 different stations in my five months there. In this new department I was promised the same, but it never came into fruition. When I bring it up they say that they would accommodate my needs, but nothing is done. I make production with my partner by me being the workhorse.
I am a flushing machine operator and been doing it for a year a three months, but I was doing material handling and final inspection in between that in my old department. Now, it's just my partner and I confined to this one station for 10 hours.

I am a flushing machine operator and been doing it for a year a three months, but I was doing material handling and final inspection in between that in my old department. Now, it's just my partner and I confined to this one station for 10 hours.
Tell you what, let me PM you. I am mentoring a couple of young men pursuing HVAC tech. positions, and yours sounds rather similar to theirs.

I'm African-American I used to post on thecoli.
Ok interesting. The best advice is to use your current job to learn as much and gain as much experience as possible.
Do not put pressure on yourself on where you will go in the company. Learn as much as possible and gain as much transferrable skills. Then you'll be more valuable when you choose to go where ever you wish.

Focus on improving your skills.

Ok interesting. The best advice is to use your current job to learn as much and gain as much as possible
Do not put pressure on yourself on where you will go. Learn as much gain as much transferrable skills. Then youll be more valuable where ever you wish.

Focus on improving your skills.
Will do and thank you.

Trending