How old was the Cushitic admixture event?

Somalis also have components similar to niloties but this is not used as prove that nilotes inhabited hoa rather it's understood to be something acquired in northern sudan. What's more @World stated that the hunter gatherars of somalia are distinct from the inhabitants of ethiopian highland. I wonder do you have a study about hunter gathers in the hoa or somalia that are similar to nilotes? Do you also know of any study that discuses the presence of nilotes like people in the hoa or somalia?
Honestly, I don't have much regarding the whole hunter-gatherer stuff at all, this is still fairly new information to me. I've only really known about Proto-Nilotes taking up the SSA component in Somalis. I'm all ears though if you wouldn't mind explaining, I'm eager to know more about this.

Some personal questions I have of my own that I'd really appreciate if you could help me answer.

-How much of the SSA component in Somalis is accounted for by Ethiopian HG (if any) or is all the HG in Somalis from Somali HGs?

-Is there any specific proof for Sudan being the location for which this Nilotic-like component was received? And if so, any specific dates and evidence that support these dates?

-Could a Nilotic-like component not have been received from further south of Somalia for instance the great lakes or is Sudan the only identified source as of now?

-What differentiates the Ethiopian HGs from Somali HGs? Anything worth mentioning about their Genome such as Eurasian Admixture from specific ancestries?

-Are there any sources about Somali HGs you can link me to?

Garaad diinle

 
Honestly, I don't have much regarding the whole hunter-gatherer stuff at all, this is still fairly new information to me. I've only really known about Proto-Nilotes taking up the SSA component in Somalis. I'm all ears though if you wouldn't mind explaining, I'm eager to know more about this.

Some personal questions I have of my own that I'd really appreciate if you could help me answer.

-How much of the SSA component in Somalis is accounted for by Ethiopian HG (if any) or is all the HG in Somalis from Somali HGs?

-Is there any specific proof for Sudan being the location for which this Nilotic-like component was received? And if so, any specific dates and evidence that support these dates?

-Could a Nilotic-like component not have been received from further south of Somalia for instance the great lakes or is Sudan the only identified source as of now?

-What differentiates the Ethiopian HGs from Somali HGs? Anything worth mentioning about their Genome such as Eurasian Admixture from specific ancestries?

I'm an amature myself here to learn you've seen how i referred to another user in my post. Much of what i know is from discussion in the culture and history section so there is plenty for you to sift though. By there are other hunter gatherers in the horn such as hazda and sandawe with click languages. There were probably other similar hunter gathers similar to them native to somalia that got absorbed by the somalis.

Last edited:

World

VIP

Proto-Nilotic takes up all the SSA component in Cushitic people, however Somalis and Horners aren’t 100 % Cushitic.

Somalis are 90 % Cushitic and 10 % Somali Hunter Gatherer. Whilst Habeshas are 65 % Cushitic and the rest Yemeni/Ethiopian Hunter Gatherer. For Oromos, their African component is as high as half Ethiopian hunter gatherer.

Proto-Nilotic takes up all the SSA component in Cushitic people, however Somalis and Horners aren’t 100 % Cushitic.

Somalis are 90 % Cushitic and 10 % Somali Hunter Gatherer. Whilst Habeshas are 65 % Cushitic and the rest Yemeni/Ethiopian Hunter Gatherer. For Oromos, their African component is as high as half Ethiopian hunter gatherer.
I really appreciate the response, this clears some stuff up, I always made the assumption that Genetic-wise "Cushitic" just referred to the entire package of SSA and significant Eurasian admixture in combination amongst Afro-Asiatic Horners. If you have any sources that I can look into to read into this further I'd be happy to do a little more digging.

Regarding their Cushitic DNA, is there any specific determined proportion of SSA : West Eurasian that we know of that falls under the Cushitic component, or is it pretty arbitrary along those lines and "Cushitic" moreso exists to differentiate between the other populations that make up Horner ancestry. Also for personal research, what would be a good proxy for Cushitic ancestry? A proxy would definitely need to have been used to give you the values you mentioned above.

Oh and if you do know the answer or have any slight idea, are there any notable Genetic differences worthy of mention among Somali HG and Ethiopian HG or is it mainly just regional differences?

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I guess that would be the idea but I don’t think that las geel has been properly dated I’ve heard some way 10,000 years while others say 5000, either way they were clearly a pastoral people, which would coincide with admixed population rather than a pure Nilotic population.
So the las geel paintings were made by our nilotic ancestors?
No nilotes never step foot in Somalia. There is a proto-somali population that lived in Somalia, we have approximately 5% of their dna now.

World

VIP
I really appreciate the response, this clears some stuff up, I always made the assumption that Genetic-wise "Cushitic" just referred to the entire package of SSA and significant Eurasian admixture in combination amongst Afro-Asiatic Horners. If you have any sources that I can look into to read into this further I'd be happy to do a little more digging.

Regarding their Cushitic DNA, is there any specific determined proportion of SSA : West Eurasian that we know of that falls under the Cushitic component, or is it pretty arbitrary along those lines and "Cushitic" moreso exists to differentiate between the other populations that make up Horner ancestry. Also for personal research, what would be a good proxy for Cushitic ancestry? A proxy would definitely need to have been used to give you the values you mentioned above.

Oh and if you do know the answer or have any slight idea, are there any notable Genetic differences worthy of mention among Somali HG and Ethiopian HG or is it mainly just regional differences?
It is not just Ethiopian or Somali, but also the South Cushitic’s from 3000 years ago in Kenya/Tanzania were modelled as 40 % Dinka-related ancestry + 40 % Chalcolithic Israeli-related ancestry + 20 % Mota-related ancestry.

First admixture date: between 5000-6000 years ago in northeastern Africa(South Egypt/Sudan), and this admixed group mixed with local Mota-related foragers roughly 4000 years ago in Kenya/Tanzania.

6A48462F-E6C0-4457-B716-913769E425AD.png

ENP-related are proto Cushitic from South Egypt/North Sudan.

It is not just Ethiopian or Somali, but also the South Cushitic’s from 3000 years ago in Kenya/Tanzania were modelled as 40 % Dinka-related ancestry + 40 % Chalcolithic Israeli-related ancestry + 20 % Mota-related ancestry.

First admixture date: between 5000-6000 years ago in northeastern Africa(South Egypt/Sudan), and this admixed group mixed with local Mota-related foragers roughly 4000 years ago in Kenya/Tanzania.

View attachment 251318
ENP-related are proto Cushitic from South Egypt/North Sudan.
So from what I'm getting "Mota" forms the genetic cluster of the Horner hunter-gatherers and this has varying extents of input in different Cushtic populations and also Proto-Cushitic populations.

I've also read somewhere (unfortunately forgot where), that the migration of the first admixed people, the predecessors of what came to be the Proto-Cushtic people, made quite a relatively quick migration from Sudan out across the horn and into Kenya and Tanzania, and I think there was a mention how these migrations were suggested to be rapid waves of migrations based on the fact that there appeared to be no genetic input from any populations that would have been in contact with the admixed group during the migrations aside from when they settled in their chosen lands and Genetic change was observed which is seen in the HG admixture in the Proto-Cushitic.

Trending