How do I upload my Big Y results to YFull?

Apollo

VIP
No I’m the Djibouti one, and yeah I’m Habr Awal

Hehe, I have noticed some Somalilanders have issues with the Somalia flag on yfull for understandable reasons, but do keep in mind that the Blue Somalia flag was originally designed as the flag for all ethnic Somalis, but politics and war ruined that idea.

There are also some K5 Somalis on yfull who are picking the Blue Somalia flag because they hate the Ethiopian one, haha (I know who they are, but won't name them, cough cough on the J1 page).

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Hehe, I have noticed some Somalilanders have issues with the Somalia flag on yfull for understandable reasons, but do keep in mind that the Blue Somalia flag was originally designed as the flag for all ethnic Somalis, but politics and war ruined that idea.

There are also some K5 Somalis on yfull who are picking the Blue Somalia flag because they hate the Ethiopian one, haha (I know who they are, but won't name them, cough cough on the J1 page).
Yeah I heard about that. But still, I’ve never considered the blue flag to be representative of what I am, before just like after learning about the history of the Somali republic. If anything the Djiboutian flag will always be the most fit for me. I was already advised to put the blue flag with WaqooyiGalbeed as region, and I did put it for quite a bit before changing it again.

The purpose of using modern country flags is because you must let others know where your most recent ancestry is from.

For example, there are Eastern European flags on the J1 page. Most often those are from Ashkenazi Jews. Sometimes you can also tell because they ad yid next to it which stands for language Yiddish.
I noticed. To be honest, they should really just put Israel instead because, no one is going to know that's a jew.

Apollo

VIP
I noticed. To be honest, they should really just put Israel instead because, no one is going to know that's a jew.

I think the best thing to do would be to pick the country and sub-province of where your oldest confirmed ancestor is from. European Jews can add Yiddish on their yfull profile to let people know the sample isn't Goy European.

However, if one is an ethnic minority and one doesn't speak a minority language that is be able to picked on yfull (African Americans and Afro-Arabs, especially Afro-Arabs) and know your ancestors came from somewhere else, you shouldn't pick a flag which confuses people about the origins of a lineage.

Many Afro-Arab Saudis/Kuwaitis/Emiratis etc ruin African haplogroups on yfull with their flags, lol. Some African lineages on yfull are majority Gulf Arab flags because they are rich and are testing more.

However, I have noticed more Egyptian and Sudanese samples coming onto yfull, many of them live in GCC countries. Perhaps this could fix the imbalance.

An African flag (including North African ones) = 10x times more valuable when it comes to ancestry information than Gulf Arab flags ones (because GCC countries had and have more cosmopolitanism).

I think the best thing to do would be to pick the country and sub-province of where your oldest confirmed ancestor is from. European Jews can add Yiddish on their yfull profile to let people know the sample isn't Goy European.
I guess it’s just preferences.

Last edited:

Trending