How common are these haplogroups?

Sheekhal gendershe are just as sheekhal as the rest of us…… they just don’t really like Marrying Somalis is all
This guy is clearly not Sheekhaal lol.His lineage seems to come from Caucuses mountains..perhaps his ancestor was some Ottoman Circassian.The rest of you are almost entirely E-M183, the quintessential Berber lineage and seems widespread despite the geographic location.I think there's even a Kenyan Borana E-M183 probably got it from the Qallu sheekhaal.

This guy is clearly not Sheekhaal lol.His lineage seems to come from Caucuses mountains..perhaps his ancestor was some Ottoman Circassian.The rest of you are almost entirely E-M183, the quintessential Berber lineage and seems widespread despite the geographic location.I think there's even a Kenyan Borana E-M183 probably got it from the Qallu sheekhaal.

i mean I’ve seen some r lineages and some j lineages and a lot of my relatives are em-123 so you never know lol

Sheekhal is an umbrella term for clans of diverse priestly lineages. It is not a clan lineage group in the strictest sense of the word. The Gendershe of Jazeera and Marka were technically part of the Cadcad grouping.

Sheekhal is an umbrella term for clans of diverse priestly lineages. It is not a clan lineage group in the strictest sense of the word. The Gendershe of Jazeera and Marka were technically part of the Cadcad grouping.
I have a theory that many of these foreign religious men used to propagate in the North untill the Adal state collapsed and settled cities were abandoned around the 16th century which they then decided to head South to the Banadir coast or deeper into Ethiopia.I think there was even a paper by those Spanish EU funded archeologists suggesting how trade almost collapsed in modern SL and that it's peaks was between the 10th & 16th century

I have a theory that many of these foreign religious men used to propagate in the North untill the Adal state collapsed and settled cities were abandoned around the 16th century which they then decided to head South to the Banadir coast or deeper into Ethiopia.I think there was even a paper by those Spanish EU funded archeologists suggesting how trade almost collapsed in modern SL and that it's peaks was between the 10th & 16th century
For those arriving in the North, Zeila was obviously their port of call as it was at one time the main port of Ifat and Adal. However, many would not have stayed as they were probably richer pickings to be found inland where more established urban centres existed among the Muslim Ethio-Semites. Considering how Aw Qudub are associated with Harar, it is not surprising that they, and probably many other Hararis will have 'exotic' paternal lineages. Same goes for the Afran Qallo Oromos who assimilated many pre-existing ethnic groups, and possibly some Somalis did the same too. I am still puzzled by the Haplogroup L found in the non-coastal Mieso Gugundhabe Hawiye. Harar connection maybe?

For those arriving in the North, Zeila was obviously their port of call as it was at one time the main port of Ifat and Adal. However, many would not have stayed as they were probably richer pickings to be found inland where more established urban centres existed among the Muslim Ethio-Semites. Considering how Aw Qudub are associated with Harar, it is not surprising that they, and probably many other Hararis will have 'exotic' paternal lineages. Same goes for the Afran Qallo Oromos who assimilated many pre-existing ethnic groups, and possibly some Somalis too. I am still puzzled by the Haplogroup L found in the non-coastal Mieso Gugundhabe Hawiye. Harar connection maybe?
Seen some cadcad L lineages and it's probably of Indian origin.I think those Hawiye you mentioned probably had some cadcad fellow assimilated and this clan traces back to him.

There were established urban centers in Western SL stretching from Aw-Barkhadle north of Hargeisa to Awdal region.I assume Fafaan next door which is as fertile as Western SL probably had many urban centers with some still existing today like Aw-Barre which is apparently is named after some Sheekhaal Sheikh and his tomb is still there.

Many of the towns were abandoned post 16th century and the theory is without state protection of caravans and urban centers that trade began to decline.We have evidence forts built by the Adalites in Qalcadda to protect caravans coming from the Somali coasts

Qalcadda lies about 60 km to the south of Berbera, very close to the Jerato Pass, one of the most important passes that communicated the coast with the interior of the Somaliland. It is located at a strategic position for the caravans that came from the coast and which could find water, shelter and pasture after the desert coastal plains.

The site was known by the members of the Department of Archaeology of Somaliland, but it hadn’t been studied until 2016 when the Incipit Archaeological project mapped it and conducted a test pit. Although brief, that visit placed Qalcadda as one key site to understand the organization of trade routes, the material evidences of state control and the interactions of Somaliland with Arabia and the Middle East, all key topics for the StateHorn project.

Although there are several villages and other settlements around Qalcadda, their small size and the isolation of the caravan station makes it unlikely that it was a private enterprise, as it often happened in the Middle East. Qalcadda thus probably represents one of the few material examples known so far of strategies used by the Sultanate of Adal to reassert its control upon the region, either directly or through proxies.

Seen some cadcad L lineages and it's probably of Indian origin.I think those Hawiye you mentioned probably had some cadcad fellow assimilated and this clan traces back to him.

There were established urban centers in Western SL stretching from Aw-Barkhadle north of Hargeisa to Awdal region.I assume Fafaan next door which is as fertile as Western SL probably had many urban centers with some still existing today like Aw-Barre which is apparently is named after some Sheekhaal Sheikh and his tomb is still there.

Many of the towns were abandoned post 16th century and the theory is without state protection of caravans and urban centers that trade began to decline.We have evidence forts built by the Adalites in Qalcadda to protect caravans coming from the Somali coasts
But the Gugundhabe and Karanle Hawiyes of the Historical Adal State did not originate in the South according to Hawiye History. They mostly still live where they did during the Futuh wars. The Babille section of the Afran Qallo are mainly Hawiye. They are as native as the other clans that still reside there so how did they acquire such a lineage? Harar?

I do not dispute there were towns but these were on the periphery when compared with the core of what I argue was an Ethio-Semitic dominated Sultanate centred on the more fertile Highland territory around Harar.

But the Gugundhabe and Karanle Hawiyes of the Historical Adal State did not originate in the South according to Hawiye History. They mostly still live where they did during the Futuh wars. The Babille section of the Afran Qallo are mainly Hawiye. They are as native as the other clans that still reside there so how did they acquire such a lineage? Harar?

I do not dispute there were towns but these were on the periphery when compared with the core of what I argue was an Ethio-Semitic dominated Sultanate centred on the more fertile Highland territory around Harar.
The literal capital was Saylac and the establishment of the state of Adal was when the sons of Sacad-deen returned from Yemen and landed east of Berbera.The state shifted toward Harar during the Imam's life time.The majority of the history of both Ifat and Adal had Western Somaliland & Fafaan as it's heartland.

The literal capital was Saylac and the establishment of the state of Adal was when the sons of Sacad-deen returned from Yemen and landed east of Berbera.The state shifted toward Harar during the Imam's life time.The majority of the history of both Ifat and Adal had Western Somaliland & Fafaan as it's heartland.
Zeila was it's entry/exit point but there is no evidence Zeila was the heartland of Adal either as it was a successor state to Ifat which traditionally extended to Shewa and the Awash river. Their point of disembarkation and fightback does not necessarily support a centrality argument.

I am open to persuasion bro, drop texts that demonstrate that Adal and Ifat were centred in Zeila or Somalia proper at their peak. By the way, Highland Faafan was included in the area coming under the authority of the Ethio-Semitic speaking inhabitants of Harar in my previous post.

Zeila was it's entry/exit point but there is no evidence Zeila was the heartland of Adal either as it was a successor state to Ifat which traditionally extended to Shewa and the Awash river. Their point of disembarkation and fightback does not necessarily support a centrality argument.

I am open to persuasion bro, drop texts that demonstrate that Adal and Ifat were centred in Zeila or Somalia proper at their peak. By the way, Highland Faafan was included in the area coming under the authority of the Ethio-Semitic speaking inhabitants of Harar in my previous post.
I will create a thread shortly about Adal & Ifat.Once I collect my sources I'll tag you and the rest of the anthro nerds on this forum

DHOONYACAB

Xagar Badhaadhe Bu'ale
I tested while back and results were 64% east african 35% north african(egypt) and i bleive tuny percent asian.anybody else get something similar?

Sheekhaals have very interesting set of haplogroups. You are not the first one with a foreign haplogroup, there's another sheekhaal sample that belong to haplogroup G which most likely came from Portugal.

Spannish Inquisition brought some of the Muslims in Iberia (today Portugal) to our southern coast.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
I am sheekhal aw qutub on my dad said and sheekhal qallu On my mom side
lf lm not mistaken qallu are the sheekhaal subclan that have assimilated into the afran qallo confederation in hararghe oromia. If so where in the region are your mums side from and do they identify as somali or oromo?

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP

All hawiyes originated from the harar region. Sheik hawiye himself is buried there the gugundhabe, karanle, xaskul still in the region were just the ones who never left.

To address your question, this anomalous HG could potentially be due to assimilation of the diverse populous who once lived in harar and scattered around the region ever since, considering how clans in the hararghe area havr become more “open” over time.

Are there any Sheekhaals with that lineage (e-m183) on yfull?

Okay so I took a dna test and I was wondering if these haplogroups are common amongst somali?

View attachment 218059View attachment 218060
Hello brother, I am aw Qudub too with e-m183, we are of the E-M81 sub Clade which is found in qurayshic Arabs of saudi most specifically the Banu Taym in which we sheekhaal hail from, the haplogroup is also common in many other Arab tribes and Ofcourse originates in North Africa 24 thousand years ago long before Arabs existed, you’re definitely Banu Taym Don’t worry

Trending