Harla Tribe, Ancestors of The Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
What is Harla?

Harla were a Hamitic pagan tribe that existed in the Horn of Africa. They would accept Islam through their port Zaila and the sahaba settled in Harla domain after Axum.

When did the Harla exist?

Harla existed probably in ancient antiquity until atleast, the 16th century Adal wars, defeat by a combined portugese, abyssinian army. Harla kingdom was situatede between Harar & Dire Dawa with chinese coins recently found dating back to 13th century

Who were the Harla?

Harari people (speak Harla language (partially assimilated by semites arabs & argobba

Zay people near lake zway (still speak a corrupted harari-harla & assimilated by gura tribes)

Silte people (speak a corrupted Harari-Harla) assimilated by gura tribe)

Reer hamar (reportedly speak a corrupt dialect resembling harla. Assimilated by various tribes persian, arab, somali)

Sheekhal somali clan (claim descent from Harar Arab Sheikh Aw Abadir) (assimilated by somali)

Abdirahman Jabarti, Darod Sub clans Harti, etc inhabiting puntland, ogaden & various other regions (assimilated by somali)

Other Somali clans such as Dir, Issaq, Issa etc all agree that Harla were in the area, they inhabited and intermarried with them.

Other Ethiopian and Eritrean tribes also have connections.

Where were the Harla?

Harla were found throughout the Horn of Africa. Harla territory stretched from Shewa to the edge of puntland including the southern portions such as Mogadishu. Arawelo known in texts as Badit daughter of maya's campaigns helped expand Harla territory to eritrea and ultimately destroy the Axum Empire, which was a pyrrhic victory. Leftover Axumite followers centuries later under the Emperor Amda Seyon were able to regroup and take back Axum and most of the Harla lands but they didn’t bother administrating the eastern and southern front directly, instead Abyssinians wanted tax paid to them.

Imam Mahfuz Emir of Harar and defacto leader of Adal kingdom refused to pay tribute and wanted to raid lost Harla lands in the west. Mahfuz killed Emperor Eskender and his successor Na'od but refused to rule the Habesha, instead remained at Zaila. Mahfuz's refusal could be because of the Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) ordering muslims to leave the Habesha alone as long as they don’t bother you.

Emperor Dawit 2 would take the throne and kill Mahfuz, throwing Adal into a civil war. Until Imam Ahmed married Mahfuz's daughter Del Wanbera, and began a conquest to reconquer Ethiopia on behalf of Harla with Somali clans, inorder to avenge Mahfuz's death. After nearly 20 years of occupation, Imam lost a crucial battle against the Portugese and his army booted out of Abyssinia. Emperror Gelawdewos attempted to capture eastern harla-somali lands but was killed near Harar.

Defeated Harla and Adal now faced the newly arrived pagan gala (oromo) tribes and severe drought which would diminish their numbers. The walls constructed in Harar, halted total extinction of the descendants of harla, the harari. The isolated islands of lake zway produced a similar result.

Harla terms

Zay means "coastline" in the Harla language which would be the etymology behind Zayla. The terminology behind Zay people would thus be people of the coast. Harar is also called Gay meaning town in Harla.

Mogadishu or Muq-dish means Humid-ground in Harla,

***if readers can obtain other info on Harla from elders, please share it here.

1560-wall.jpg

@Knowthyself @Canuck @Zak Jingo @Thegoodshepherd References available upon request

Apollo

VIP
Being a cultural relic group does not mean that they are the ancestors of the wider region. Epic logic fallacy.

Just like chimps aren't the ancestors of humans because they remained primitive.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Trying too hard to revise our history and make your tiny group relevant at our expense I see... Not gonna work foh :camby:

Reer xamar , sheikhaal and darood are not assimilated harla . 'The Futuh Al Habasha specifically mentions darood clans and harla as distinct groups.they bordered the Somali before the Oromo migrations . lastly, reer Xamar dialects have nothing to do with any languages spoken in Ethiopia . Dialects like brava are more close to Swahili .

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Reer xamar , sheikhaal and darood are not assimilated harla . 'The Futuh Al Habasha specifically mentions darood clans and harla as distinct groups.they bordered the Somali before the Oromo migrations . lastly, reer Xamar dialects have nothing to do with any languages spoken in Ethiopia . Dialects like brava are more close to Swahili .

Actually it was Sheekhal member who brought the Harla history to my attention. Perhaps at the writing of Futuh, the Darod had began to splinter away from Harla. Darod are linked with Harla see this source https://books.google.ca/books?id=HG...CUAQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=harala darod&f=false

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Actually it was Sheekhal member who brought the Harla history to my attention. Perhaps at the writing of Futuh, the Darod had began to splinter away from Harla. Darod are linked with Harla see this source https://books.google.ca/books?id=HGnyk8Pg9NgC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=harala+darod&source=bl&ots=sZDnHemlWz&sig=tFkynhA16ihRvLhse1xxllN8lG8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh9t7EppfPAhVM_IMKHTOBCUAQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=harala darod&f=false
Your source proves them to be their own group and they are linked with multiple Somali clans. Rather since evidence in the Futuh suggests them to be their own group, one can conclude Somalis tried to assimilate them. They say Metehara was their main town, we can conclude the Oromo expansion to have reduced their numbers. Personally I believe they are ancestors of Harari people.

Actually it was Sheekhal member who brought the Harla history to my attention. Perhaps at the writing of Futuh, the Darod had began to splinter away from Harla. Darod are linked with Harla see this source https://books.google.ca/books?id=HGnyk8Pg9NgC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=harala+darod&source=bl&ots=sZDnHemlWz&sig=tFkynhA16ihRvLhse1xxllN8lG8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh9t7EppfPAhVM_IMKHTOBCUAQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=harala darod&f=false

Well , both the the Somali And Harla were mentioned as separate groups during the war with the habash emperor seydoun.Seydoun celebrated his victory over the Somalis in a poem . the harla were also mentioned as a group who fought with him . This was before the futuh Al habash .

By the time of Futuh Al habasha , darood sub clans like the marexaan and Isaac sub clans like habar magadle are mentioned. The Somalis seemed to have formed their own Somali Islamic identity by this time and must have broken off from any other proto cultures a long time ago before that .

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Well , both the the Somali And Harla were mentioned as separate groups during the war with the habash emperor seydoun.Seydoun celebrated his victory over the Somalis in a poem . the harla were also mentioned as a group who fought with him . This was before the futuh Al habash .

By the time of Futuh Al habasha , darood sub clans like the marexaan and Isaac sub clans like habar magadle are mentioned. The Somalis seemed to have formed their own Somali Islamic identity by this time and must have broken off from any other proto cultures a long time ago before that .

Earliest mention of Somali in Ethiopian texts during Emperror Yishaq, they are called Simur and Hararis still call Somalis Tumur to this day. https://books.google.ca/books?id=GW...IHDAA#v=onepage&q=simur somali harari&f=false

Nabeel786

Southie pride
Sheikh Abadir, he wasn't sheekhal, but they claim. He was Marehan. Here Marehan abtirsi.

Abadir
Muuse
War'Wa Jecle
Radamiir
Amanreer
Isaaq
Galshiredle
Hodonbari
Balyeri
Awsame
Marehan
Sade
Darood

Sheikh abadir, he was father of boqor Daud whom assassinated by Horarsame.

@young pop .
My bAd. I was confusing yishaq with Seydoun .in any case , my point still stand : samales and harla were clearly two different groups by the Middle Ages . There is no evidence to suggest Somalis were Harla.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Your source proves them to be their own group and they are linked with multiple Somali clans. Rather since evidence in the Futuh suggests them to be their own group, one can conclude Somalis tried to assimilate them. They say Metehara was their main town, we can conclude the Oromo expansion to have reduced their numbers. Personally I believe they are ancestors of Harari people.

Darod clan do not claim descent from Irir Saamale directly. Even Darod genealogy shows they intermarried with Dir to be Somali. This is why Somali governments perceived Hararis as Somalis, especially Siad Barre who was claiming, he has Harari ancestors. Harla's main town was between harar and dire dawa, still called harla today. Its also not surprising that the Dir clan happen to be in that area. We can say they are ancestors to Hararis and some Somali clans that do not descend from Irir Samale directly.

What is Harla?

Harla were a Hamitic pagan tribe that existed in the Horn of Africa. They would accept Islam through their port Zaila and the sahaba settled in Harla domain after Axum.

When did the Harla exist?

Harla existed probably in ancient antiquity until atleast, the 16th century Adal wars, defeat by a combined portugese, abyssinian army. Harla kingdom was situatede between Harar & Dire Dawa with chinese coins recently found dating back to 13th century

Who were the Harla?

Harari people (speak Harla language (partially assimilated by semites arabs & argobba

Zay people near lake zway (still speak a corrupted harari-harla & assimilated by gura tribes)

Silte people (speak a corrupted Harari-Harla) assimilated by gura tribe)

Reer hamar (reportedly speak a corrupt dialect resembling harla. Assimilated by various tribes persian, arab, somali)

Sheekhal somali clan (claim descent from Harar Arab Sheikh Aw Abadir) (assimilated by somali)

Abdirahman Jabarti, Darod Sub clans Harti, etc inhabiting puntland, ogaden & various other regions (assimilated by somali)

Other Somali clans such as Dir, Issaq, Issa etc all agree that Harla were in the area, they inhabited and intermarried with them.

Other Ethiopian and Eritrean tribes also have connections.

Where were the Harla?

Harla were found throughout the Horn of Africa. Harla territory stretched from Shewa to the edge of puntland including the southern portions such as Mogadishu. Arawelo known in texts as Badit daughter of maya's campaigns helped expand Harla territory to eritrea and ultimately destroy the Axum Empire, which was a pyrrhic victory. Leftover Axumite followers centuries later under the Emperor Amda Seyon were able to regroup and take back Axum and most of the Harla lands but they didn’t bother administrating the eastern and southern front directly, instead Abyssinians wanted tax paid to them.

Imam Mahfuz Emir of Harar and defacto leader of Adal kingdom refused to pay tribute and wanted to raid lost Harla lands in the west. Mahfuz killed Emperor Eskender and his successor Na'od but refused to rule the Habesha, instead remained at Zaila. Mahfuz's refusal could be because of the Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) ordering muslims to leave the Habesha alone as long as they don’t bother you.

Emperor Dawit 2 would take the throne and kill Mahfuz, throwing Adal into a civil war. Until Imam Ahmed married Mahfuz's daughter Del Wanbera, and began a conquest to reconquer Ethiopia on behalf of Harla with Somali clans, inorder to avenge Mahfuz's death. After nearly 20 years of occupation, Imam lost a crucial battle against the Portugese and his army booted out of Abyssinia. Emperror Gelawdewos attempted to capture eastern harla-somali HAHAHAHAHAHA lands but was killed near Harar.

Defeated Harla and Adal now faced the newly arrived pagan gala (oromo) tribes and severe drought which would diminish their numbers. The walls constructed in Harar, halted total extinction of the descendants of harla, the harari. The isolated islands of lake zway produced a similar result.

Harla terms

Zay means "coastline" in the Harla language which would be (NO IT WOULDN'T, WHERE'S THE PROOF) the etymology behind Zayla. The terminology behind Zay people would thus be people of the coast. Harar is also called Gay meaning town in Harla.

Mogadishu or Muq-dish means Humid-ground in Harla, (Stop lying dude.)

***if readers can obtain other info on Harla from elders, please share it here.

View attachment 6938
@Knowthyself @Canuck @Zak Jingo @Thegoodshepherd References available upon request
We all know that you are an ehtiopian revisionist. You think any self-respecting Somali would take history lesson from you? After your people keep insisting Ahmed Gurey was habashi-Oromo? HAHAHAHAHA

1. Gold coins came from Zeyla, via the SOMALI built maritime silk road.

2. The Somali's, as the AL-Kannana (CANAANITES,) built every major city on the horn after we left Arabia Felix.

Stop changing history with a suddenly new people called Harla.

Zay comes from the ZAY people KULAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's clear, that Ethiopians are now resorting to fabricating history, and downright erasing Hawiye and Oromo from the Horn.

Oromos were in east africa before you........

Dude, I can't take you seriously.

Desperate being a habashi huh, I guess you gotta keep yourself occupied while your country burns.

We'r done.

Desperate Habashi, willing to do and say anything to disinheret Somalis, whatever their qabil. We see through you due to something called the internet, and so does the rest of the world.

You're only here on this forum, to deflect Somalis from realising, that you're country is the biggest aid receivers in the history of mankind, and will crash within a few months when the US raises its interest rates, which will devaluate the international dollar + CUT the US aid to Ethiopia due to bond market crashes.

Tell me, how will you service your international debt and obligations post-christmas?

https://financialtribune.com/articles/world-economy/39044/ethiopia-risks-economic-collapse
The Addis Ababa and London universities don was presenting his paper on foreign direct investment in Ethiopia and credit financing.
“What will happen if they stopped such financing tomorrow? What if, for instance, the Chinese government tomorrow says sell for me Ethio Telecom or sell to me Ethiopian Airlines or give me some share or buy my airplanes, or I will stop such credit financing? The country will collapse, I guarantee you,” he said.

And after the ethiopian economic crash, this will happen...

http://howafrica.com/coming-war-egypt-ethiopia-nile/
"But experts claim Cairo is deadly serious about defending its
historic water allotment, and if Ethiopia proceeds with construction of what is set to become Africa’s largest hydroelectric dam, a military strike cannot be discounted.

Egypt fears the new dam, slated to begin operation in 2017, that it will reduce the downstream flow of the Nile, which 85 million Egyptians rely on for almost all of their water needs. Officials in the Ministry of Irrigation claim Egypt will lose 20 to 30 percent of its share of Nile water and nearly a third of the electricity generated by its Aswan High Dam."

Good luck, dude

Last edited:
I'm not sure what modern Chinese politico-economics and the water in the river Nile have to do with historical facts and revisionism.

http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Harari_language

"Harari is the language of the Harari people of Ethiopia. According to the 1998 Ethiopian census, it is spoken by 21,283 people. Most of its speakers are multilingual in Amharic and/or Eastern Oromo. Harari is closely related to the Eastern Gurage languages Zay and Silt'e, all of whom are linked to the now extinct Semitic Harla language.[3][4] Locals or natives of Harar refer to it as Gē ritmā "language of the City" ( is the word for how Harari speakers refer to Harar, whose name is an exonym).[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harla_people

"Field research by Enrico Cerulli identified a modern group called the "Harla" living amongst the Somali in the region between the cities of Harar and Jijiga. Encyclopaedia Aethiopica suggests that this population "may be a remnant group of the old [Harla], that integrated into the Somali genealogical system, but kept a partially separate identity by developing a language of their own." Cerulli published some data on this Harla community's language, called af Harlaad, which resembled the Somali languages spoken by the Yibir and Madhiban low-caste groups.[3]"

The Harla were Semitic, which fits in especially well with the Yibir and the Fallasha period at Auxum. These folks were not Samaale, not even Cushites.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
The Harla people are the original inhabitants of Harar. But the vast majority of the Hararis today are not the descendants of the Harla people, they've got mythical Arab forefathers and some say they're related to the Sheikash in K5.

Status
Not open for further replies.