GPD China vs Africa (1980 vs 2016) What can Somalia learn from China

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Its because the governments are corrupt. If somalia had stability and no corruption today these people would be working in factories or offices

We are ruled by sociopaths who don't much care about the shacab as long as they're getting their bread. The kinds of houses "Somali elites" own both in Somalia and in places like the neighboring Khaleej would shock you. At least Khaleejis have the decency to let their people share in some of that bread while they do their despotism. African leaders are content with most of their people living in shanty towns while they sip fine wine and eat the finest grass-fed beef cooked by a gaal chef.

:wow:

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
How about we exploit our own resources and fund a national rebuilding of historical buildings, boosting local businesses by free lacag with federal involvement to ensure the business succeeds, construct major universities to educate the population. Fund the enormous projects for connecting the country by railways and roads. With cooperation with ankara build an military and intelligence industry. Bring our airports and ports to international standar.

All we need is peace

If that worked Sudan would be heaven right now. They're a very educated lot over there in Khartoum. Like really and yet...

:wow:

No amount of smarts can fix a lack of jobs and an economy. You'll just suffer brain-drain as the educated youth are frustrated and will go wherever they can find work. In fact, this is already in part happening in Somalia. I went back there a while back on business to several cities and the number of young men and women I met who had degrees and were either not working or doing something like working as a waiter and telling me they wanted to go abroad like to Europe to find work "worthy" of them was disheartening.
China doesn’t just send their kids to get education internationally but also incentivize them to come back. The educated Somalis back home have few things working against them, one they getting educated in their 3rd world inferior system and two the govt does not incentivize them nor are there policies in place to promote the creation of new industries or companies. Educated people and supportive govt and policies built industries. You cant just do one without the other. Also by sending their students to international schools, they end up getting experiences, knowledge, insights or motivation they wouldn’t have gotten back in China. I went to college with large Chinese international students, 90 something percent return home with offers already in hand.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
China doesn’t just send their kids to get education internationally but also incentivize them to come back. The educated Somalis back home have few things working against them, one they getting educated in their 3rd world inferior system and two the govt does not incentivize them nor are there policies in place to promote the creation of new industries or companies. Educated people and supportive govt and policies built industries. You cant just do one with the other. Also by sending their students to international schools in most western countries, they end up getting experiences and knowledge they wouldn’t have gotten back in China. I went to college with large Chinese international students, 90 something percent return home.

How does that argue against anything I said, though? Even if they were Somalis who were well-off and got educated in neighboring countries like the gulf states where the standard of education is comparable to the west with many western Unis or whatnot (such people do exist) there again just isn't any functioning government or infrastructure or economy for them and they just end up wanting to leave or sitting around twiddling their thumbs. If education was the solution, a lot of 3rd world countries would be "developed" by now.

Last edited:
.....No amount of smarts can fix a lack of jobs and an economy. You'll just suffer brain-drain as the educated youth are frustrated and will go wherever they can find work. In fact, this is already in part happening in Somalia. I went back there a while back on business to several cities and the number of young men and women I met who had degrees and were either not working or doing something like working as a waiter and telling me they wanted to go abroad like to Europe to find work "worthy" of them was disheartening.
.....The educated Somalis back home have few things working against them, one they getting educated in their 3rd world inferior system and two the govt does not incentivize them nor are there policies in place to promote the creation of new industries or companies. Educated people and supportive govt and policies built industries. You cant just do one without the other. Also by sending their students to international schools, they end up getting experiences, knowledge, insights or motivation they wouldn’t have gotten back in China. I went to college with large Chinese international students, 90 something percent return home with offers already in hand.

how does that not address your argument?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
how does that not address your argument?

Okay... You started off by replying to my original post by saying that the Chinese educate their young. I then pointed out that no amount of education matters if your country lacks the infrastructure and opportunities for that education. You then replied by saying that I guess both that and education are needed which I don't necessarily disagree with but how does that disprove what I said when I said that even if the population is well educated it doesn't matter if your country lacks opportunities?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I don't understand it either. Like you said most foreigners who go there do not plan to stay there forever, people want to make quick no income-tax cash and leave. What will happen once the oil/energy money cannot subsidise the no income-tax system? Expats are already leaving the country and jobs are on the decline. Saudi is trying to diversify with the NEOM city they are building but its too little too late.

China doesn’t just send their kids to get education internationally but also incentivize them to come back. The educated Somalis back home have few things working against them, one they getting educated in their 3rd world inferior system and two the govt does not incentivize them nor are there policies in place to promote the creation of new industries or companies. Educated people and supportive govt and policies built industries. You cant just do one without the other. Also by sending their students to international schools, they end up getting experiences, knowledge, insights or motivation they wouldn’t have gotten back in China. I went to college with large Chinese international students, 90 something percent return home with offers already in hand.

Also, the Somalis who are sent abroad are not the brightest. They are sent abroad by the Somali gov because of their connections and family name [qabil] there is no meritocracy.
China had a merit based system and only the brightest would be sent abroad

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I don't understand it either. Like you said most foreigners who go there do not plan to stay there forever, people want to make quick no income-tax cash and leave. What will happen once the oil/energy money cannot subsidise the no income-tax system? Expats are already leaving the country and jobs are on the decline. Saudi is trying to diversify with the NEOM city they are building but its too little too late.

Gulfers should have invested in things like desert greening projects, the education of their people and building more of their own industries rather than all this glitz, glamor and tourism nonsense and betting on becoming international trade hubs and buying up stuff in foreign countries. But I don't blame them. These guys were jahils who got herded along by the gaalo when their country was developing, they didn't know any better and just jumped into the modern capitalist wet-dream with little foresight.

Gulfers should have invested in things like desert greening projects, the education of their people and building more of their own industries rather than all this glitz, glamor and tourism nonsense and betting on becoming international trade hubs and buying up stuff in foreign countries. But I don't blame them. These guys were jahils who got herded along by the gaalo when their country was developing, they didn't know any better and just jumped into the modern capitalist wet-dream with little foresight.

They are a hedonistic bunch who have squandered their wealth and have only superficial sky-scrappers to show for it. KSA thinks tourism will save their economy they have a very conquered mindset and think catering to cadan people is the only way up. They have no faith in their people and dont want to develop their population properly because it will put their rulership at risk.

Last edited:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
They are a hedonistic bunch who have squandered their wealth and have only superficial sky-scrappers to show for it. KSA thinks tourism will save their economy they have a very conquered mindset and think catering to cadan people is the only way up. They have no faith in their people and dont want to develop their population properly because it will put their rulership at risk.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Okay... You started off by replying to my original post by saying that the Chinese educate their young. I then pointed out that no amount of education matters if your country lacks the infrastructure and opportunities for that education. You then replied by saying that I guess both that and education are needed which I don't necessarily disagree with but how does that disprove what I said when I said that even if the population is well educated it doesn't matter if your country lacks opportunities?
Lol because I wasn’t trying to disprove you. You can’t argue against observable facts. I was just building on your argument. You pointed out some of the consequences of china’s astronomical growth and I pointed out couple things they did right to get to where they are today. I’m not pro or against China, just stating my views and observations here.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Lol because I wasn’t trying to disprove you. You can’t argue against observable facts. I was just building on your argument. You pointed out some of the consequences of china’s astronomical growth and I pointed out couple things they did right to get to where they are today. I’m not pro or against China, just stating my views and observations here.

Oh, I see. My bad, abaayo. Tired night. Carry on.

:superman:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
tbf that’s how some western nations also became rich

It's coming for Africa 100%. It's inevitable at this point, me thinks. Eventually manufacturing will become unattractive across Asia as their labor costs rise due to becoming developed then it'll be Africans being the world's factory and developing at the alarming rate places like China have been for decades now.

Reborn
It's coming for Africa 100%. It's inevitable at this point, me thinks. Eventually manufacturing will become unattractive across Asia as their labor costs rise due to becoming developed then it'll be Africans being the world's factory and developing at the alarming rate places like China have been for decades now.

A lot of manufacturing/labor-intensive jobs are being automated as we speak.

Trending

Latest posts