Greening China's Loess Plateau & The Future of Somalia

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
It breaks my heart every time I see how badly deforested Somalia is. Projects like this needn’t cost millions, everyone can focus on re-greening their little plot of land using old fashioned simple methods.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
We need to stop the coal industry. Its damaging somali lands. And also lock the animals up. Its so annoying once it rains and everything goes green the donkeys and random sheep are out here eating it all and within a week it's all gone. Also pick the rubbish up. It's nasty. We can't go green if there's rubbish everywhere of some random 3 year old cans.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
We need to stop the coal industry. Its damaging somali lands. And also lock the animals up. Its so annoying once it rains and everything goes green the donkeys and random sheep are out here eating it all and within a week it's all gone. Also pick the rubbish up. It's nasty. We can't go green if there's rubbish everywhere of some random 3 year old cans.

No. That will eventually cause the land to degrade as well and isn't fair to those animals or best for their health either. Also, keeping them locked up will result in needing feed (usually grains) which will make us the global market's b*tch for said feed or force us to destroy large swathes of that same land you're talking about to create monocrop fields to feed livestock food they aren't evolved to eat and will make them less healthy and their meat and dairy of a lower quality for us. What Somalis need to learn is rotational grazing. Only let them graze a certain part of the plot and then move them before they overgraze it then only let them return to that plot once the grass has fully regrown. This is a system that will go on until the sun goes out and they'll even increase the amount of topsoil and overall vegetation we have exponentially which is sorely needed all over the world.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
Plastic is everywhere in Somalia even the livestock will eat them sometimes and choke.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
No. That will eventually cause the land to degrade as well and isn't fair to those animals or best for their health either. Also, keeping them locked up will result in needing feed (usually grains) which will make us the global market's b*tch for said feed or force us to destroy large swathes of that same land you're talking about to create monocrop fields to feed livestock food they aren't evolved to eat and will make them less healthy and their meat and dairy of a lower quality for us. What Somalis need to learn is rotational grazing. Only let them graze a certain part of the plot and then move them before they overgraze it then only let them return to that plot once the grass has fully regrown. This is a system that will go on until the sun goes out and they'll even increase the amount of topsoil and overall vegetation we have exponentially which is sorely needed all over the world.
yes I know. What I mean by locking up is not letting them graze without supervision. Places like Burtinle all the grass is eaten in a week. Once it rained my grandma would let all the goats leave and eat the greeens in burtinle. For a week or two she would not give them grains as food and just let them eat the greens. This is done by everyf family with goats or sheep to save money and this overgrazes Somalia

I remember reading somewhere that Ethiopia has managed to plant 5.5bn seedlings as part of the Great Green Wall initiative to stop desertification and the expansion of the Sahel.

Djibouti on the other hand, which part of the countries that are taking part of this initiative, has probably planted 0 trees.

We Somalis need to get serious about saving our environment or we will be absolutely fucked in the coming years with non-stop droughts and water shortages. We need to stop the charcoal trade. Create dams in dry rivers in order to catch rainwater for irrigation. Government programs where the people are forced to plant trees on their property, etc.

Of course, none of this can occur without functional governments...:snoop: