Girl checks her white parents for racism

I'm very aware of those dynamics, I tend to go above and beyond at work to stand out. I hope you're able to persevere if you're ever put in that situation. Victim mentality is very counterproductive and leads to low self-esteem and low self-worth.

I do what I have to do, because we all have to put bread on the table. But acknowledging reality and wanting things to change is not victim mentality.

Depending on your company's work culture, going 'above and beyond' isn't going to change shit. What happens is they use up all your labour and Jimmy or Becky get the promotion, which is what has happened to a couple of people. And despite working your ass off, you're paid the least.

:mjlol:

I think the solution isn't to 'work above and beyond' to line the pockets of these cadaan companies but for us Somalis to be a lot more business minded and for us to create our own opportunities. Investing in our communities and really push for Somali owned ventures, like the Indians.

Certain sectors such as teaching and medicine seem fine and people don't go through a lot of passive work place racism as they rely heavily on minorities, especially in the UK.

They do until they get to University.

The thing is, employers primarily like to employ cadaans so having a Muslim sounding name or Traditional Nigerian sounding name goes against you. Also, work place racism is an issue as you can get passed for someone who is cadaan when it comes to promotions, even when they don't have the skills or hard work you have. So black people, South Asian Muslims, along with Somalis can become stagnant when it comes to certain companies.

A hard working Somali friend of mine who works for a very succesful company has been through this. She has found out she gets paid the least despite her being a senior compared to some cadaan newbies and is constantly passed when it comes to promotions.

Many of you are young, or not in certain professional positions. But it can be tough dealing with passive aggressive work place racism and constantly being overlooked.

At the end of the day, this isn't our country and it really is times like this that I get super pissed that we have managed to destroy our one because reality is people are always going to put there people first.
Situations like that just convince me more to return to Somalia.

They do until they get to University.

The thing is, employers primarily like to employ cadaans so having a Muslim sounding name or Traditional Nigerian sounding name goes against you. Also, work place racism is an issue as you can get passed for someone who is cadaan when it comes to promotions, even when they don't have the skills or hard work you have. So black people, South Asian Muslims, along with Somalis can become stagnant when it comes to certain companies.

A hard working Somali friend of mine who works for a very succesful company has been through this. She has found out she gets paid the least despite her being a senior compared to some cadaan newbies and is constantly passed when it comes to promotions.

Many of you are young, or not in certain professional positions. But it can be tough dealing with passive aggressive work place racism and constantly being overlooked.

At the end of the day, this isn't our country and it really is times like this that I get super pissed that we have managed to destroy our one because reality is people are always going to put there people first.
Well that's an extreme case but I am exhausted of you blaming this on us who weren't even born in or during pre-civil war Somalia. And even those who were are not to blame. Siad Barre is. Perhaps a few others in a much less significant way. That's it. But there are even better countries to work in like the ones I mentioned before.

Situations like that just convince me more to return to Somalia.

We have some really bright and educated boys and girls, but we are not united like the Jews and Indians, so we don't support each other as we should. Also, these groups in the beginning were dirt poor, in fact Jews used to live in the ghettos of East London with high crime rates in the 1800s. But what set them apart was their business focus and strong community loyalty.

These groups are not succesful because they 'work hard' for cadaans, no they work hard for their community by creating their own businesses employing and using the skills of their own people. They provide each other with jobs and their local community are loyal to their businesses meaning they would rather buy from a fellow Indian than line the pockets of another group. Until Somalis, madows ect adopt that mentality we will forever be in a position of weakness.

Well that's an extreme case but I am exhausted of you blaming this on us who weren't even born in or during pre-civil war Somalia. And even those who were are not to blame. Siad Barre is. Perhaps a few others in a much less significant way. That's it. But there are even better countries to work in like the ones I mentioned before.
Chill, you haven't even finished high school yet. Your views are limited in scope.

Erm with all due respect what are you talking about? I'm genuinely confused?

Who have I blamed? Are you responding to another post or...?

Bro, either way our country is in turmoil. And that wasn't the message of my post.

Also, I never knew you were this young. High school age? With all due respect, i'm in my mid 20s, so I'm nearly 10 yrs your senior and I'm in the professional sector with a few years of experience with friends and peers in the same group as I. You do not have the right to tell me what is rare and isn't when I am ten times more experienced than you when it comes to this matter.
Calm it, you don't need to try to intimidate me with your experience. Mashallah though, good for you. But you can have expertise in matters at an early age, and btw 17 isn't that young. But just by using common sense alone one can deduce this to be more extreme than is usual. People have unconscious biases bu most aren't outright racists. I know people who work for companies, I actually would ask about promotions and salary (of they were comfortable disclosing).

Calm it, you don't need to try to intimidate me with your experience. Mashallah though, good for you. But you can have expertise in matters at an early age, and btw 17 isn't that young. But just by using common sense alone one can deduce this to be more extreme than is usual. People have unconscious biases bu most aren't outright racists. I know people who work for companies, I actually would ask about promotions and salary (of they were comfortable disclosing).

I never said they were outright racists, that wasn't what my post was about. Also what expertise do you have if you haven't been to uni yet and have never worked in a professional setting? That was my point, I had no intention of intimidating you, but you are talking about something you have never experienced.

But okay cool,

You definitely know more than me.

I never said they were outright racists, that wasn't what my post was about.

But okay cool,

You definitely know more than me.
Listen, I'm not the one who tries to belittle everyone they disagree with and have a patronizing attitude. I never claimed to know more than you do, I was only defending myself. Why are you so aggressive?

Listen, I'm not the one who tries to belittle everyone they disagree with and have a patronizing attitude. I never claimed to know more than you do, I was only defending myself. Why are you so aggressive?

No YOU @ me and said that what I was talking about is an extreme case in a way to suggest that you knew more about the situation, trying to dismiss my points, despite never working in a professional setting.

I didn't qoute you first. I was having a conversation with @Marcus.

No YOU @ me and said that what I was talking about is an extreme case in a way to suggest that you knew more about the situation, trying to dismiss my points, despite never working in a professional setting.

In didn't qoute you first. I was having a conversation with @Marcus.
Listen, I replied saying that it wasn't our fault the country's the way it is right now. And that it were an unusual case. Not in the least did I suggest I knew more about *your friend's situation. Calm down. You sound like an angry black woman.

Listen, I replied saying that it wasn't our fault the country's the way it is right now. And that it were an unusual case. Not in the least did I suggest I knew more about *your friend's situation. Calm down. You sound like an angry black woman.

You have no experience in the work place, so you have no idea what an unusual case is and isn't.

You really can't start messaging people nonsense and then gaslight their responses as being an 'angry black woman'.

I responded according to the way you deserve to be responded to. If you don't like certain types of responses then don't @ me with nonsense.

You have no experience in the work place, so you have no idea what an unusual case is and isn't.

You really can't start messaging people nonsense and then gaslight their responses as being an 'angry black woman'.

I responded according to the way you deserve to be responded to. If you don't certain types of responses then don't @ me with nonsense.
What nonsense? I don't actually care it's just something I wanted to highlight. You don't need workplace experience to know such cases of discrimination are rare and extreme. Don't try me.

What nonsense? I don't actually care it's just something I wanted to highlight. You don't need workplace experience to know such cases of discrimination are rare and extreme. Don't try me.

People's real life experiences, along with UK statistics disagree with you.

But its okay, you're always right.

You know the irony is you're the one who thinks they're actually always right despite everyone else disagreeing with you. But it's okay, you're always right.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No one was disagreeing with me in this regard, I was having a friendly convo with Marcus and Jimmer.

I don't care if you think the UK is relevant or not. My posts were not addressed to you.

So what do you want from me?

Trending