Garre people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know a bit about the Garre people. I've read they are Dir, yet they have their own language and group with the Borona at times.

Are they ethnic Somalis?

Also, groups like the Bursuuq, do they class themselves as Oroma or Somali.

Is anyone here, Garre, Bursuuq, Akisho or Jarso? If so, would you say you have a staunchly Somali identity?

Is anyone here from a clan that can be classed as Oroma?

I find these tribes to be interesting, as they show us that the Somali identity isn't as clear cut or black and white as one may think.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Garre are Somali but used to be under Borana rule for a extended period of time which is why their language is heavily Oromo influenced.

They are very religious people from my experience.

munira

Somaliweyn haa nolaato
VIP
Just wanted to know a bit about the Garre people. I've read they are Dir, yet they have their own language and group with the Borona at times.

Are they ethnic Somalis?

Is anyone here, Garre, Bursuuq, Akisho or Jarso? If so, would you say you have a staunchly Somali identity?

I find these tribes to be interesting, as they show us that the Somali identity isn't as clear cut or black and white as one may think.

My mothers clan can be classified as oromo but my mother is a Somali patriot.

munira

Somaliweyn haa nolaato
VIP
Does your mother know how her clan became classed as Oromo?

Also why is it Dir Tribes that tend to have Oromo connections?

Yeah but she’s still Somali even if she has oromo in her.

And it’s because the dir of Somali galbeed live alongside oromos.

munira

Somaliweyn haa nolaato
VIP
No more "go back to Yemen" from you missy:mjlaugh:
@Reiko So DoS half oromo?:damn::russ:

Don’t call the jabarjinni on me and I’m not half oromo.

Let’s say my mothers clan is oromo, that would only make me a quarter because my mothers mother is fiqi Cumar.

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar

Are they ethnic Somalis?

Garre is split into two: tuf and quranyow. Tuf claim to descend from gardheere samaale which is the same ancestor of the Degodia clan in NFD and Gaaljecel. The quranyow descend from Dir. They live next to the Borana and most of them can speak Oromo, the Oromo try to claim them .

My mother’s half sisters are Garre , their father was born in Moyale and they identify as Somali, I’m not sure about the other clans .

Garre is split into two: tuf and quranyow. Tuf claim to descend from gardheere samaale which is the same ancestor of the Degodia clan in NFD and Gaaljecel. The quranyow descend from Dir. They live next to the Borana and most of them can speak Oromo, the Oromo try to claim them .

My mother’s half sisters are Garre , their father was born in Moyale and they identify as Somali, I’m not sure about the other clans .
wait isnt tuf and quranyow also in chad like the kedh gurrai ? you are related to the chadic peoples so how is that relate to Somalia?

:dead:

All this time Oromo person was telling me I wasn't a pure Somali...
And come to find our that she's actually a guest in Somalia.

@Daughter of samaale get out of my land!
the Garre are full blooded somalis fella. they just live alongside the oromo same way rahaweyn live alongside the bantu. they pretty much never intermarry. they speak af-soomaali but af garre also which is an oromo language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts