For the people here in IT, did anyone of you pursue cloud certifications?

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
damn bro this is motivation. Thanks again for all the answers. Im currently doing my solutions architect and studying for that now. Im taking the course from adrian

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
Where do I start and what is AWS
AWS is an amazon company that provides cloud infrastructure people get certificates so they are able to work for companies that use that infrastructure in their business. The basic one is called AWS cloud practitioner that's where you start.

Dont have any certs but ive used google cloud and aws
nice, I’ve been thinking of going into data engineering since I have decent python/analytical skills. I’m a uni dropout and I want to start working instead of learning full time again, currently waiting for this course to open: https://uk.generation.org/london/data-engineering/

I have a few questions, what’s the career progression like for an entry level data engineer ? Also to what extent will not having a technical degree hinder me in this field? I know for data science it’s near impossible.

Last edited:
nice, I’ve been thinking of going into data engineering since I have decent python/analytical skills. I’m a uni dropout and I want to start working instead of learning full time again, currently waiting for this course to open: https://uk.generation.org/london/data-engineering/

I have a few questions, what’s the career progression like for an entry level data engineer ? Also to what extent will not having a technical degree hinder me in this field? I know for data science it’s near impossible.

This is complete BS, you don't need degree for anything in IT or go to a bootcamp, sign up to either Udemy or Pluralsight and buy the course or sign up for subscription so you have access to all and learn the material at your own pace.

The only bummer with data science is that you need to be good at maths otherwise it's a fool errand, so if you hate it or are not interested in learning it to a good degree, then yes it's not possible.

But that's were the future lies (Data science, AI, ML), it's a very easy transition from being a data analyst to data science and lucrative too, I assume since you do analytics you must be proficient in maths.

In the IT industry it's all about portfolio/experience not your degree, if you can prove this you will land the job easily.

Even if your obsessed about degree you have free coursera courses in Data Science from MIT and other prestigious university and you can obtain a certification from them with a small fee.

This is what a top data scientist colleague of mine provided me in terms what track to follow (I inquired for my friend), he told me it will take you 2 months if you spend a minimum of 6 hours on it every day(provided your maths at least university standard otherwise it will take a bit longer)

Machine Learning (Standford)

Data science Specialization (John Hopkins)

Both these courses share a lot of overlap so it's like completing one, you then proceed with the final one below.

Deep Learning

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP

I went into data science from data engineering just because I liked ml more. I haven't met any data engineers without any degrees but I've met people with non stem degrees in data engineer. I don't think it's as easy to break into it as software engineering which just requires a bootcamp but definitely possible

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
This is complete BS, you don't need degree for anything in IT or go to a bootcamp, sign up to either Udemy or Pluralsight and buy the course or sign up for subscription so you have access to all and learn the material at your own pace.

The only bummer with data science is that you need to be good at maths otherwise it's a fool errand, so if you hate it or are not interested in learning it to a good degree, then yes it's not possible.

But that's were the future lies (Data science, AI, ML), it's a very easy transition from being a data analyst to data science and lucrative too, I assume since you do analytics you must be proficient in maths.

In the IT industry it's all about portfolio/experience not your degree, if you can prove this you will land the job easily.

Even if your obsessed about degree you have free coursera courses in Data Science from MIT and other prestigious university and you can obtain a certification from them with a small fee.

This is what a top data scientist colleague of mine provided me in terms what track to follow (I inquired for my friend), he told me it will take you 2 months if you spend a minimum of 6 hours on it every day(provided your maths at least university standard otherwise it will take a bit longer)

Machine Learning (Standford)

Data science Specialization (John Hopkins)

Both these courses share a lot of overlap so it's like completing one, you then proceed with the final one below.

Deep Learning

I will have to strongly disagree. This field has high barrier to entry. Literally 70-80% of jobs ask for masters or PhD and every data scientist/ml person I met has a minimum of masters.

I went into data science from data engineering just because I liked ml more. I haven't met any data engineers without any degrees but I've met people with non stem degrees in data engineer. I don't think it's as easy to break into it as software engineering which just requires a bootcamp but definitely possible
Thought I would come back to this post after a couple years to say that its definitely doable to get into data engineering going through the bootcamp route without a degree. I've been working as a data engineer for just over a year now at a startup. I'm content with my career progression/rate of learning and hope to make the move to a mid role soon. How would you compare working in data science vs data engineering?

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
wow this is a time machine type post. Crazy how much I progressed since.

We just keep grinding and getting better everyday

:pray:

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
Which IT field have you decided to pursue?
I worked as help desk for a grocery chain then got a job as a data consultant/engineer for a consulting firm.

I finished my contract and right now I'm studying for a cert so I can get a better role.

Trending

Latest posts