Etymology of the word "Wadaad"

Seems we took many words from them (Ethio-Semites) including's titles like Ugaas but I did see some acknowledged Cushitic loanwords from Somali and the Oromos.
Thoughts on “boqor” and the Nubian “qore”? Any real links there, especially when considering the Somali specific E-V32 subclade?

Some Cushitic loanwords are hard to identify as Harari took many words from us East Lowland Cushites while also having a Sidamo substratum.Also I'm not entirely sure Hararis were the only Ethio-Semites that Somalis dealt with imo.
We must’ve dealt with Aksumites in great number considering their conscription of 15,000 Barbaroi before their invasion of Himyar (us and Afar, I’m guessing). This would explain the Christian burial sites in Somaliland too, no?

Also one must consider the logistics of trade for the Somali city states and how the ancient world worked. With Aksum all but controlling the Red Sea, how do we think we traded with folk further north? They would’ve definitely been a medium, and it’s even likely some cities had to pay tribute to them. Food for thought.

We must’ve dealt with Aksumites in great number considering their conscription of 15,000 Barbaroi before their invasion of Himyar (us and Afar, I’m guessing). This would explain the Christian burial sites in Somaliland too, no?

Also one must consider the logistics of trade for the Somali city states and how the ancient world worked. With Aksum all but controlling the Red Sea, how do we think we traded with folk further north? They would’ve definitely been a medium, and it’s even likely some cities had to pay tribute to them. Food for thought.
Any sources for this 15k Barbaroi participating in the invasion of Himyar?I do believe cities in Somaliland were tributary states to Axum.I don't believe there was any direct imperial control of SL regions

Any sources for this 15k Barbaroi participating in the invasion of Himyar?I do believe cities in Somaliland were tributary states to Axum.I don't believe there was any direct imperial control of SL regions
I even think of some of the names of cities in Somaliland and see a clear Semitic influence, and likely Ethio-Semitic. Every “Ras xyz”, and by extension “Laas xyz” is pretty suspect.

Attachments

• 1ADC4260-2BFB-4543-A412-7445120DA8E4.jpeg
    1ADC4260-2BFB-4543-A412-7445120DA8E4.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 1134E8B3-79F2-4A83-A387-E9682B06C101.jpeg
    1134E8B3-79F2-4A83-A387-E9682B06C101.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 94

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
We need first to acknowledge that Cushitic and semitic language came from the same source. All Afro-Asiatic languages have few cognits that retained their ancient form in some degree but have different meaning to each language.

For example the Arabic Zbale means: Trash and Zbaal: trash collector, while in Akkadian Zabälu means: To carry, to deliver.

Wadu could be one of those, were in semtic Wad it means amity or friendly, and in somali wado a line or path, and from that it became wadaad, meaning the one who knows the right path in other words priest.

Arabic has a similar meaning for Wadaad, and it is Imam : An example, A wide path/route, Leader, the who knows what is good.

And that is the most resembling word for wadaad.

So it doesn't necessarily mean that Cushitic speakers took that word from semitic speakers but both had it from the beginning. Since both of them use or have different meaning for the same word. And that absolutly is the same thing for " 'ug-aad "

Last edited:
We need first to acknowledge that Cushitic and semitic language came from the same source. All Afro-Asiatic languages have few cognits that retained their ancient form in some degree but have different meaning to each language.

For example the Arabic Zbale means: Trash and Zbaal: trash collector, while in Akkadian Zabälu means: To carry, to deliver.

Wadu could be one of those, were in semtic Wad it means amity or friendly, and in somali wado a line or path, and from that it became wadaad, meaning the one who knows the right path in other words priest.

Arabic has a similar meaning for Wadaad, and it is Imam : An example, A wide path/route, Leader, the who knows what is good.

And that is the most resembling word for wadaad.

So it doesn't necessarily mean that Cushitic speakers took that word from semitic speakers but both had it from the beginning. Since both of them use or have different meaning for the same word. And that absolutly is the same thing for " 'ug-aad "
That's a whole lot of nothing you wrote right there big man.Unless you can prove to me that there is a proto-East Lowland Cushitic cognate for the word Wadaad then it is likely an Ethio-Semitic loanword.Plus ofcourse Semitic languages will have Proto-Semitic cognates considering PS itself is far younger than proto-cushitic which is old and extremely hard to reconstruct

Wadaada (verb. to love) and it's derivative verb (tawadaada) is found in too many various Ethio-Semitic languages and is used as a verb which isn't the case in the Somali language (most foreign words adopted in Somali and most languages in general tend to be nouns)The evidence is too damning, but I will wait if you find any Proto-East Cushitic Lowland cognates for Wadaad

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
That's a whole lot of nothing you wrote right there big man.Unless you can prove to me that there is a proto-East Lowland Cushitic cognate for the word Wadaad then it is likely an Ethio-Semitic loanword.Plus ofcourse Semitic languages will have Proto-Semitic cognates considering PS itself is far younger than proto-cushitic which is old and extremely hard to reconstruct

Wadaada (verb. to love) and it's derivative verb (tawadaada) is found in too many various Ethio-Semitic languages and is used as a verb which isn't the case in the Somali language (most foreign words adopted in Somali and most languages in general tend to be nouns)The evidence is too damning, but I will wait if you find any Proto-East Cushitic Lowland cognates for Wadaad
So the word path or route in somali is not Wado?

And you wanna tell us that " Wad " can't be used in somali as a verb and used in imperative mood?

If it really came from Etho-Semitic then why used in completely different way and for different meaning: Path than the original meaning ( love )

Somali root for words are imperative mood, and for waddo, it came from the root wad: To carry on, to continue, to go on with.

All these meaning for the root of wad that non of them have any meaning for ( love ) or words related to prove that wad and its derivatives are of somali origin

So the word path or route in somali is not Wado?

And you wanna tell us that " Wad " can't be used in somali as a verb and used in imperative mood?

If it really came from Etho-Semitic then why used in completely different way and for different meaning: Path than the original meaning ( love )

Somali root for words are imperative mood, and for waddo, it came from the root wad: To carry on, to continue, to go on with.

All these meaning for the root of wad that non of them have any meaning for ( love ) or words related to prove that wad and its derivatives are of somali origin
Wadaad (w-d-d) follows the typical Semitic triconsonantal roots, found in various Ethiopian Semitic languages and has cognates with other Semitic languages and can't be found in Lowland East languages like Oromo or Konso.Take off your extremist nationalist lenses and use common sense for a very brief moment walaal.

This is from a Ge'ez (ancient Aksumite dictionary): SEMITIC: Ar. wadda 'love', SAr (Sabaic). s/l-wdd 'consent agree', m-It'd 'friend (or ruler)', Heb. ydd in Yidid 'beloved', Syr (Syriac. y'added 'love', Ug, ydd 'belov~d; . H olm a 152, n.2 identifies it with Arabic. waada'make firm, stabili ze', EnlloPlc; Amharic. wiiddiidii 'love', Argobba. waddaada , Har wadaada, Gur. wadaada; Tna. tawadaada 'agree with one another, join together (intr), concur', Amh, tawaddadaa 'be joined, fitted together'.

Also the term Wad (w-d) which is different from W-d-d is also of Ethio-Semitic origin:

Wad'a (y.dii') go out, go forth, come out, come forth, depart, exceed, emerge, leave,

bah gob2.png

The only way you can win this argument is by bringing forth evidence of proto-east lowland Cushitic reconstructed word with the same meaning and pronunciation.We both know you can't Mr.Italiano De Sud Somaliana nationalist :mjlaugh:

I even think of some of the names of cities in Somaliland and see a clear Semitic influence, and likely Ethio-Semitic. Every “Ras xyz”, and by extension “Laas xyz” is pretty suspect.
Those coasts in Somalia called Ras are named by Arabs tbh, but I would love to know how you got to the conclusion that the world Laas is of Ethio-Semitic origin

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Wadaad (w-d-d) follows the typical Semitic triconsonantal roots, found in various Ethiopian Semitic languages and has cognates with other Semitic languages and can't be found in Lowland East languages like Oromo or Konso.Take off your extremist nationalist lenses and use common sense for a very brief moment walaal.

This is from a Ge'ez (ancient Aksumite dictionary): SEMITIC: Ar. wadda 'love', SAr (Sabaic). s/l-wdd 'consent agree', m-It'd 'friend (or ruler)', Heb. ydd in Yidid 'beloved', Syr (Syriac. y'added 'love', Ug, ydd 'belov~d; . H olm a 152, n.2 identifies it with Arabic. waada'make firm, stabili ze', EnlloPlc; Amharic. wiiddiidii 'love', Argobba. waddaada , Har wadaada, Gur. wadaada; Tna. tawadaada 'agree with one another, join together (intr), concur', Amh, tawaddadaa 'be joined, fitted together'.

Also the term Wad (w-d) which is different from W-d-d is also of Ethio-Semitic origin:

Wad'a (y.dii') go out, go forth, come out, come forth, depart, exceed, emerge, leave,

View attachment 234195

The only way you can win this argument is by bringing forth evidence of proto-east lowland Cushitic reconstructed word with the same meaning and pronunciation.We both know you can't Mr.Italiano De Sud Somaliana nationalist :mjlaugh:
Not nationalits or whatsoever, I’m just rationalist. I know that afroasiatics share cognates but when two languages have similar sounding words with completely different meaning like Xaar and حار then we don’t assume one took it from another. If you can bring cognates that was Wdd in it with the meaning to go or continue them we can assume it is a loan word in Somali from Semitic languages

Last edited:
Not nationalits or whatsoever, I’m just rationalist. I know that afroasiatics share cognates but when two languages have similar sounding words with completely different meaning like Xaar and حار then we don’t assume one took it from another. If you can bring cognates that was Wdd in it with the meaning to go or continue them we can assume it is a loan word in Somali from Semitic languages
You know very little of Afro-Asaitic if you are thinking there are many loanwords between us and the Semites.proto-Cushitic existed before Berber-Semitic even broke up, and Proto-East Cushitic probably existed around the same time as proto-Semitic.

The word is clearly of PS origin...either bring evidence of it's Cushitic origin or just hold the L Mr.Gelato Italiano

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
You know very little of Afro-Asaitic if you are thinking there are many loanwords between us and the Semites.proto-Cushitic existed before Berber-Semitic even broke up, and Proto-East Cushitic probably existed around the same time as proto-Semitic.

The word is clearly of PS origin...either bring evidence of it's Cushitic origin or just hold the L Mr.Gelato Italiano
Why it is an L? If it is a loan word then it gotta be so ancient that its meaning changed. No L whatsoever I’m taking words from other languages

Xaar:حار
Has Semitic cognates but is not found in any other Cushitic language which means it is a loan word
Somalis took Xaar from Arabs
:lolbron:

Arivederci

Why it is an L? If it is a loan word then it gotta be so ancient that its meaning changed. No L whatsoever I’m taking words from other languages

Xaar:حار
Has Semitic cognates but is not found in any other Cushitic language which means it is a loan word
Somalis took Xaar from Arabs
:lolbron:

Arivederci
Well if you speak Arabic you would know 7aar just means hot but who knows.I might just download an Oromo dictionary to find out and let you know :silanyolaugh:

lol some niggas desperate for Arab/Semitic link. Next they be telling us Dumar and Rag is Arabic because it’s similar to rajl and imra’a

lol some niggas desperate for Arab/Semitic link. Next they be telling us Dumar and Rag is Arabic because it’s similar to rajl and imra’a
Dumar imra'a are not even close lol plus I can't speak for anyone but I'm just someone looking for the truth.Wadaad being of Ethio-Semitic origin shocked and wanted to share.Incel nationalists like yourself are weirdos tho

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
Wadaad may be ethio-semitic and the comparison @Al-Ma'mun makes sense but there'd no evidence of if its actually ethiosemitic or not.

But to get back at the Xaar/حار 'hot' part somali does have a similar cognate which is huur 'heat', we probably just dropped the X/ح or they turned H/ه into X/ح.

AbdiFreedom

#Pierre4PM/End Mass Immigration to 🇨🇦 #DefundUN
Staff Member
Harari are 1/3 to 1/2 Somali in DNA tests from what I have heard. They are a fake ethnic group but rather mutts.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Wadaad may be ethio-semitic and the comparison @Al-Ma'mun makes sense but there'd no evidence of if its actually ethiosemitic or not.

But to get back at the Xaar/حار 'hot' part somali does have a similar cognate which is huur 'heat', we probably just dropped the X/ح or they turned H/ه into X/ح.
Xaar is most likely an ethio Semitic loanword in Somali.
It’s Xara in tigrinya and Ara in Amharic

Trending