Etymology of the word "Wadaad"

I was reading a book called "The Other Abysinnians: The Northern Oromo and the Creation Of Modern Ethiopia" and came across this line

He highlights three main features of the Gondärine period that started and exacerbated the fall of central authority:
continued sectarian strife, independent territory acquisition by provincial nobles, and the rise in authority of the Ras
Bitwäddäd (“the most loved Ras”), all elements implicitly devoid of ethnicity.4 Th is process is mirrored in the Oromo societies that moved north or west with titles like Moti or king. In the highlands, many became Ras Bitwäddäd.

Reminded me of Wadaad, so I decided to see if the Harari language has this so I downloaded a Harari dictionary and this is what I found.

1660581994180.png

1660582014939.png

I'm not sure if this is a direct loanword from Harari or if it's an Ancient Ethio-Semitic loanword we got from a language or people that once in lived near us (like the Harla)

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

عِشْ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ
I was reading a book called "The Other Abysinnians: The Northern Oromo and the Creation Of Modern Ethiopia" and came across this line

Reminded me of Wadaad, so I decided to see if the Harari language has this so I downloaded a Harari dictionary and this is what I found.

View attachment 234003

View attachment 234004

I'm not sure if this is a direct loanword from Harari or if it's an Ancient Ethio-Semitic loanword we got from a language or people that once in lived near us (like the Harla)
There is also a word in classical arabic named "ودود" which could mean friend, companion or beloved. It has some ties to semetic languages aswell.

There is also a word in classical arabic named "ودود" which could mean friend, companion or beloved. It has some ties to semetic languages aswell.
Lol stop with this ugly Ayrab wannabesim, ''Waduud'' is from ''Wid'' and has nothing do with the word ''Wadaad'''. It's like saying did the Somali word ''Nabad'' which is pronounced as ''Nabat'' come from the ayrabic ''Nabat'' which means ''Trees'' Wadaad is very ancient Somali word, ayrabs were nothing at that time, we practised Waqism which still is practiced in some places, Waaq, Wadaad, Eebbe etc are all Somali native words, you absolutely cant trace them back as there are no written records but to try to connect it to ayrabic is the outmost disrespect for the cultural superiority of the Somalis over Ayrabs.

Lol stop with this ugly Ayrab wannabesim, ''Waduud'' is from ''Wid'' and has nothing do with the word ''Wadaad'''. It's like saying did the Somali word ''Nabad'' which is pronounced as ''Nabat'' come from the ayrabic ''Nabat'' which means ''Trees'' Wadaad is very ancient Somali word, ayrabs were nothing at that time, we practised Waqism which still is practiced in some places, Waaq, Wadaad, Eebbe etc are all Somali native words, you absolutely cant trace them back as there are no written records but to try to connect it to ayrabic is the outmost disrespect for the cultural superiority of the Somalis over Ayrabs.
It's always the western

:meleshame: :meleshame:

Wadaad is derived from the title of the priest profession in Somali jahiliyyah era (Waaqism). Which can explain why it means "wise one"/"mullah" nowaday

This is a real discussion and not meant for low iq takes like yours.Either contribute or gtfo with your written diarrhea

Yes but ours seems mostly Ethio-Semitic but Arabic which is central semitic might have a similar form because again it derive from a common Proto-Semitic cognate

Yes probably a tie to both Ethio-Semitic (which is South Semitic) and Arabic (Central Semitic) common.Might be a Proto-Semitic cognate
Semites never practiced Waaqism, they're Abrahamic and there is no mention of such a word in their texts, they documented everything. You gtfo, Cushites and Semites had nothing to do with each other in anyway till Islam showed up. Fucking ignorant rubbish ayrab wannabe, I cant tolerate c00ns like you! Amharos arent cushitic and never practised Waaqism, Even Ethiopian jewisnever heard of that word. You think Cushites cant get a name for a religion they invented? They came up with waaq, eebbe, arday, dugsi, etc but not one for their priests? Got a name for the student but not for the teacher?. Why its always the low iqs that are ayrab wannbes?

@bidenkulaha This nigga thinks we had a Jahahiliyya era just like Ayrabs!
:cosbyhmm:
He thinks Somalis used to burry their daughters alive or that they were paganists so he can call that era Jahiliyya?
The number of ignorant self hating c00ns on here..
:meleshame:

Desert culture (bedouin) based on ranching, tribal/tuulo solidarity, primitive fatalistic paganism? Does it hurt when I remind you the jahilliyah era of BARBARISM you deeply shill for isn't worth shit? Unlike the turks, persians, arabs, greeks, lebanese, italians we had no great ancient civilizations unless you will pull macrobia/punt from all the way up your ass. Classical Somalis were a people without guidance and conviction from Allah. Recognize this and stfu or begin letting Allah SWT back into your heart, Allah is the most merciful and forgiving bro :pachah1:

Seems we took many words from them (Ethio-Semites) including's titles like Ugaas but I did see some acknowledged Cushitic loanwords from Somali and the Oromos.
Yeah looks like there was a give and take relationship. Apparently the tile of Garad « tribal chief » (p.291) was a old Cushitic loanword into Harari, and on the other hand the title of Aw « father, proprietor » (p.277) is an Ethio-Semitic word.

Desert culture (bedouin) based on ranching, tribal/tuulo solidarity, primitive fatalistic paganism? Does it hurt when I remind you the jahilliyah era of BARBARISM you deeply shill for isn't worth shit? Unlike the turks, persians, arabs, greeks, lebanese, italians we had no great ancient civilizations unless you will pull macrobia/punt from all the way up your ass. Classical Somalis were a people without guidance and conviction from Allah. Recognize this and stfu or begin letting Allah SWT back into your heart, Allah is the most merciful and forgiving bro :pachah1:
Stop abusing and using Allah's name to promulgate your Ayrab wannabeism, you know some 30% of Somalis leave Islam each year because of this self hate you spreading? You think you doing good for Islam but it's the complete contrary. We in an era where the largest proportion of people are leaving Islam! You might end up in other places while you think you can go to heaven by loving ayrabs and bootlicking for them.

Yeah looks like there was a give and take relationship. Apparently the tile of Garad « tribal chief » (p.291) was a old Cushitic loanword into Harari, and on the other hand the title of Aw « father, proprietor » (p.277) is an Ethio-Semitic word.
Some Cushitic loanwords are hard to identify as Harari took many words from us East Lowland Cushites while also having a Sidamo substratum.Also I'm not entirely sure Hararis were the only Ethio-Semites that Somalis dealt with imo.

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
Who's "we" and what do you mean by still practised in some places? I hope you mean those oromos.

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
@bidenkulaha This nigga thinks we had a Jahahiliyya era just like Ayrabs!
:cosbyhmm:
He thinks Somalis used to burry their daughters alive or that they were paganists so he can call that era Jahiliyya?
The number of ignorant self hating c00ns on here..
:meleshame:
Somalis obviously had jahiliyah why do you think Jahiliyah only refers to arabs? The whole world was in jahiliyah before islam

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
I’m not sure if these words share the same etymological lineage, does anyone think any of these words are related to wadaad

Wadno means heart
Wadaag means share
Wado means way

Trending

Latest posts