Ethiopian is claiming Somalis don’t have indigenous food rather we took it from different countries 😂

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Also the whole ''unukka leh'' food wars it's pretty lame. Peoples cultures are composed with multiple elements. A single a culture is a composite of trade, migration, influence and exchange cultures with other external cultures.

All cultures borrow and copy things. Hell, look at the Romans and Etruscans. It's genuinely hilarious how little they tried to add their own personal touch when copying the Greeks.

Pre-Greek Villanovan Culture of Italy:

o5jULXb.jpg

Greek Temple in Magna Graecia (Greater Greece / Southern Italy):

lxKmXjz.jpg

Etruscan Temple:

i6nVQMu.jpg

Roman Temple:

tI2wyHs.jpg

Even the Latin script and its predecessors in Italy are so barely differentiated from old Greek alphabets like Euboean that it's laughable:

uhkYnPB.jpg

All cultures borrow and copy things. Hell, look at the Romans and Etruscans. It's genuinely hilarious how little they tried to add their own personal touch when copying the Greeks.

o5jULXb.jpg

lxKmXjz.jpg

Etruscan Temple:

i6nVQMu.jpg

Roman Temple:

tI2wyHs.jpg

Even the Latin script and its predecessors in Italy are so barely differentiated from old Greek alphabets like Euboean that it's laughable:

uhkYnPB.jpg

Even French and British cultures is just a composite of different imput internally and externally.

Also what people ate in the past was far more rudimentary than the elaborate dishes they make today, it was really based on whatever was available in their immediate environment, cultural environments that lacked access to livestock/meat had to get creative and supplement their diet with different sources.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Also what people ate in the past where far more rudimentary than the elaborate dishes they make today, it was really based on whatever was available in their immediate environment, cultural environments that lacked access to livestock/meat had to get creative and supplement their diet with different sources.

Yeah, niggas are tripping if they think anyone but a noble was eating anything remotely elaborate outside of festive occasions. You ate what you got, mostly.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
The Judaism claims are very dubious. All they have to show for it, from even looking at Sada Mire's book, are stars of David which we know full-well Orthodox Ethiopian Christians in the Horn would also have a tendency to draw. Ethiopian Jews themselves are also quite fraudulent. There is however ample evidence of some Christian presence around the northwest of Somalia like Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed and Togdheer. There's even evidence, I believe, of churches and many finds of Christian burials/stele and Ge'ez bibles though the utter lack of any real Xabashi genetic imprint that is pronounced among northwest Somalis, even those near Harar who practiced agriculture, implies to me this was not left behind by a large migrant community that just got assimilated. So, in lieu of some sort of giant population collapse and massive exodus, which I doubt, it would seem at least some portion of northwest Somalis in the pre-Islamic era were Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.

You do see this in some strange customs like going to shrines in places like Galbeed and the northwest and using residue scraped off the saint's shrine to draw a cross on their foreheads (something I recall Sada Mire taking note of as well) and in some of the myths surrounding ancestral figures in that general area. But it was probably always a minority belief system as it doesn't remotely pervade across the Somali language the way Waaqism clearly does.

Islam clearly came to Somalis in a very syncretic manner via trade. The speed at which it caught on is hard to parse out now without more in-depth cross-referencing between archaeology, oral traditions and written records. But it is obvious it came to Somalis via trade with Yemen based on our madhab and the stories since time immemorial have always imparted tales of Arabian proselytizers coming on down and spreading Islam to Somalis peacefully. This fits the nature of Islamic practice historically among Somalis as well and why many native customs like sacred trees, trials by fire and folkstories like this survived until just a hundred years ago.

A lot of negotiating and letting the locals be in terms of their customs had to be established hence why women were walking around with their shoulders exposed even in many of the magaalo and why all these customs survived even with Wadaads consistently traveling the countryside and educating reer miyi on their culture. The syncretic nature of the conversion is so apparent that it even arises in the tribal founding myths:

Anyway, sorry for the delayed write up. Hope that was interesting.

I’m sorry for my impatience before. I didn’t think you needed a few days to answer this. Frankly I thought you were a walking encyclopedia book! Lol.

This was an engrossing read! Thank you!

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Good for you. I hope you find a Somali woman who's as passionate about Somali history as you are.

Odd and out of nowhere comment but, umm, thanks, walaal.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Hahahahhha I think I have ADHD. I get immersed in particular subjects and this is one of them.

History and the arts are my life’s passions. I can see how it looks like but I just love to learn or create and it comes off too enthusiastic and forward for people sometimes. :3

Last edited:

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Yeah, niggas are tripping if they think anyone but a noble was eating anything remotely elaborate outside of festive occasions. You ate what you got, mostly.

Also the whole ''unukka leh'' food wars it's pretty lame. Peoples cultures are composed with multiple elements. A single a culture is a composite of trade, migration, influence and exchange with other external cultures.

o5jULXb.jpg

lxKmXjz.jpg

Etruscan Temple:

i6nVQMu.jpg

Roman Temple:

tI2wyHs.jpg

uhkYnPB.jpg

Food and language are truly the only things that are global.

You won’t find a single cuisine or language that is untouched by another culture. It’s all a stream of influence all the way down.

When you see someone use it as a way to shame another culture, you can immediately dismiss anything they have to say because they aren’t arguing in good faith anyway.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I’m sorry for my impatience before. I didn’t think you needed a few days to answer this. Frankly I thought you were a walking encyclopedia book! Lol.

This was an engrossing read! Thank you!

No worries. Feel free to direct message if you ever have any more questions along the historical, linguistic and genetic lines.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Hahahahhha I think I have ADHD. I get immersed in particular subjects and this is one of them.

History and the arts are my life’s passions. I can see how it looks like but I just love to learn or create and it comes off too enthusiastic and forward for people sometimes. :3
Pretty sure Somalis tend to get more mental disorders than various different cancers, a significant increase in autism as well for those living further north.

Trending