Ethiopian is claiming Somalis don’t have indigenous food rather we took it from different countries πŸ˜‚

You have such a disdain for Somalis , why are you own Somalispot and not oromospot ?

Is telling the truth ''disdain'' or you are a professional victim? Or a deliberate distorter of facts?
Somali food has been moderately influenced by others, is that a lie? No. Sensible people see that.

Of course he's shedding skin he is oromo they eat raw meat and contract worms and diseases .

So he is never in the right mind since the worms have borrowed in his brain .

Tragic

Eating raw meat isn't really an Oromo thing, a tiny minority may do it though.
Good try though with your lies. Try again maybe? Something original and creative, perhaps?

Shimbiris

Ψ¨Ω‰ΩŽΨ± ΨΊΩ‰ΩŽΩ„ Ψ₯ي؀ ΨΉΨ’Ω†Ψ€ Ω„Ψ€
VIP
Btw, what do you think about that archaeological report showing signs of Christianity and Judaism present in Somali inhabited regions? Have you come across it?

The Judaism claims are very dubious. All they have to show for it, from even looking at Sada Mire's book, are stars of David which we know full-well Orthodox Ethiopian Christians in the Horn would also have a tendency to draw. Ethiopian Jews themselves are also quite fraudulent. There is however ample evidence of some Christian presence around the northwest of Somalia like Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed and Togdheer. There's even evidence, I believe, of churches and many finds of Christian burials/stele and Ge'ez bibles though the utter lack of any real Xabashi genetic imprint that is pronounced among northwest Somalis, even those near Harar who practiced agriculture, implies to me this was not left behind by a large migrant community that just got assimilated. So, in lieu of some sort of giant population collapse and massive exodus, which I doubt, it would seem at least some portion of northwest Somalis in the pre-Islamic era were Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.

You do see this in some strange customs like going to shrines in places like Galbeed and the northwest and using residue scraped off the saint's shrine to draw a cross on their foreheads (something I recall Sada Mire taking note of as well) and in some of the myths surrounding ancestral figures in that general area. But it was probably always a minority belief system as it doesn't remotely pervade across the Somali language the way Waaqism clearly does.

Do you have any more information that can provide us with more insight? The only conclusion I can make from this is our ancestors tolerated differences in religions and the spread of Islam must have been rather slow. Would you agree?

Islam clearly came to Somalis in a very syncretic manner via trade. The speed at which it caught on is hard to parse out now without more in-depth cross-referencing between archaeology, oral traditions and written records. But it is obvious it came to Somalis via trade with Yemen based on our madhab and the stories since time immemorial have always imparted tales of Arabian proselytizers coming on down and spreading Islam to Somalis peacefully. This fits the nature of Islamic practice historically among Somalis as well and why many native customs like sacred trees, trials by fire and folkstories like this survived until just a hundred years ago.

Disgusting. I would sooner she become an atheist. Becoming Christian?! Our mortal bloody enemies for centuries?! Complete betrayal.
:pacspit:

Not much different from the majority of Somalis for the last millennium. What many of you ignore here is that Islam came to Somalia through trade which means it was adopted in a very syncretic manner with much of the pre-Islamic culture and customs intact. Just a hundred years ago most Somalis still believed in sacred trees, trials by fire, were telling folktales like this, practicing the same burial rituals and material culture they did during the pre-Islamic era and believing on some level in figures like "Nidar" and "Huur":

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Our ancestors were drowning in shirk.
:mjkkk:

One really interesting tradition that now seems completely gone is the trial by fire tradition he mentions:

Funnily enough, this appears in the time of the Futux al-Xabasha 300 years earlier as well as something practiced by the Imam Axmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi. An Ethiopian scholar used this to theorize that he was an Canfar, at least maternally, but I think this scholar should have read the Futux more closely because he would discover that there were no Canfars involved.

They are only mentioned as a far away people to the north and the only groups fighting for the Imam are Somalis and the mysterious "Harla" who may have very well been some unique Somaloid group like the Raxanweyn. The "Malassai" he thinks are Canfars are actually just a mix of elite fighters, Somalis included, from across his army who make up the center of his army. Nevertheless, him displaying this custom does seem to imply a Cushitic, likely Somali, origin.

Around the same period as Burton a Majeerteen ruler all the way in the northeast also displayed this tradition:

Completely foreign to Somalis today but for 500 years at least it seems to have been a regular part of our dhaqan. Some of our brothers on this thread just seem shaken by how contrary some things from 100-200 years ago are to our current culture and seem to adopt some excess skepticism or even denial. A lot changes in a couple of centuries, especially after modernization, gaal influence, a horrific civil war and salafis running around proselytizing. But, as you say, in some ways Geeljires still Geeljire.

:pachah1:

A lot of negotiating and letting the locals be in terms of their customs had to be established hence why women were walking around with their shoulders exposed even in many of the magaalo and why all these customs survived even with Wadaads consistently traveling the countryside and educating reer miyi on their culture. The syncretic nature of the conversion is so apparent that it even arises in the tribal founding myths:

Some of the stories are very interesting when you observe them closely. The story of Sheikh Darood is one. Despite him being recounted as a Sheikh of the deen his story is undeniably a Waaqist one. It goes that he appeared atop a tree and then spoke to the local people, asking them to bring him a local daughter to marry so that he may descend and guide them. They did so and he was brought the Dir clan chieftain's daughter. This is blatantly a Waaqist story that appears among Oromos and Afars where saints are said to appear atop a sacred tree and ask to wed a local woman so that they might descend and guide the locals as one of their own and the religion itself generally has an obsession with certain trees and their sacredness like the sycamore.

It's also interesting how the story illustrates that Somali ties are most strong on the maternal side. I've noticed over the years that the mtDNA HGs that pop up across regions are pretty much identical and that Somalis have an alarming degree of IBD sharing across wide distances where even I will pop up with relatives in Jabuuti of all places despite mostly being from the northeast and that most people can recount that this or that ayeeyo was of a different subclan or clan. We have always been rather "exogamous" on the maternal side and kept our bonds as a people through the maternal line.

Anyway, sorry for the delayed write up. Hope that was interesting.

JackieBurkhart

The years don't matter, the life in those years do
The Judaism claims are very dubious. All they have to show for it, from even looking at Sada Mire's book, are stars of David which we know full-well Orthodox Ethiopian Christians in the Horn would also have a tendency to draw. Ethiopian Jews themselves are also quite fraudulent. There is however ample evidence of some Christian presence around the northwest of Somalia like Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed and Togdheer. There's even evidence, I believe, of churches and many finds of Christian burials/stele and Ge'ez bibles though the utter lack of any real Xabashi genetic imprint that is pronounced among northwest Somalis, even those near Harar who practiced agriculture, implies to me this was not left behind by a large migrant community that just got assimilated. So, in lieu of some sort of giant population collapse and massive exodus, which I doubt, it would seem at least some portion of northwest Somalis in the pre-Islamic era were Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.

You do see this in some strange customs like going to shrines in places like Galbeed and the northwest and using residue scraped off the saint's shrine to draw a cross on their foreheads (something I recall Sada Mire taking note of as well) and in some of the myths surrounding ancestral figures in that general area. But it was probably always a minority belief system as it doesn't remotely pervade across the Somali language the way Waaqism clearly does.

Islam clearly came to Somalis in a very syncretic manner via trade. The speed at which it caught on is hard to parse out now without more in-depth cross-referencing between archaeology, oral traditions and written records. But it is obvious it came to Somalis via trade with Yemen based on our madhab and the stories since time immemorial have always imparted tales of Arabian proselytizers coming on down and spreading Islam to Somalis peacefully. This fits the nature of Islamic practice historically among Somalis as well and why many native customs like sacred trees, trials by fire and folkstories like this survived until just a hundred years ago.

A lot of negotiating and letting the locals be in terms of their customs had to be established hence why women were walking around with their shoulders exposed even in many of the magaalo and why all these customs survived even with Wadaads consistently traveling the countryside and educating reer miyi on their culture. The syncretic nature of the conversion is so apparent that it even arises in the tribal founding myths:

Anyway, sorry for the delayed write up. Hope that was interesting.

Good for you. I hope you find a Somali woman who's as passionate about Somali history as you are.

Shimbiris

VIP
Good for you. I hope you find a Somali woman who's as passionate about Somali history as you are.

Odd and out of nowhere comment but, umm, thanks, walaal.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Based

VIP
That person is right. Our food is boiled hilib and caano geel. Our cuisine is mostly foreign but of course i will get qashined because people here are too emotional and don’t want to face the facts that our ancestors didn’t particularly care for variety and taste.

Hamzza

VIP
That person is right. Our food is boiled hilib and caano geel. Our cuisine is mostly foreign but of course i will get qashined because people here are too emotional and don’t want to face the facts that our ancestors didn’t particularly care for variety and taste.
Oodkac, Canjeelo... our food is magnificent don't be a hater

Firstly, maxaad Oromoda ugu goobanaysaan? And secondly, traditional Somali cuisine, like much of Africa - including all Ethiopics - is a bland, not special or artistic food. Just meat and dhir.
It's incredibly sad seeing so many butthurt Waqooyi oo ku faanaya wax aysan mudneen. Runta haddii laga hadlo, annaga ma nihin dad mudan iney is mahdiyaan. Also, to the guy who posted academic stuff, what's the best resource/textbook to learn about ancient Somali history?

Even some of the city/village dweller stuff is plainly native like cambuulo, canjeero and so forth. They all developed from the agricultural package our ancient ancestors got from the Ethiopian Highlands well over a thousand years ago by the looks of it:

Somalis might get all nationalistic on me but lets be real, we are pretty much just an extension of Ethiopian/Horner culture. The elements of our cuisine that developed from theirs or developed from crops we got from the highlands are pretty much part of our native regional culture.

The Chinese who visited Northern Somali region. Noted this about the peoples diet in year 1100's

The country produces many camels and sheep , and the ordinary food of the people consists of camels ' flesh , milk and with baked cakes.
Chau Ju-kua: His Work on the Chinese and Arab Trade in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries,

I suppose ''Baked Cakes'' is in reference to Canjeero.

Last edited:

Shimbiris

VIP
The Chinese who visit Northern Somali region. Noted this about the peoples diet in year 1100's

The country produces many camels and sheep , and the ordinary food of the people consists of camels ' flesh , milk and with baked cakes.
Chau Ju-kua: His Work on the Chinese and Arab Trade in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries,

I suppose ''Baked Cakes'' is in reference to Canjeero.

I interpreted it that way as well. The blood thing is pretty cool. It's an old Cushitic practice the Greeks, if I recall, even noted among Cushites in Sudan and Egypt but, funnily enough, it was somewhat common for pastoral nomadic people to develop this habit in general. Mongols were also noted to practice blood drinking:

In times of desperation, they would also slit a minor vein in their horse's neck and drain some blood into a cup. This they would drink either "plain" or mixed with milk or water. This habit of blood-drinking (which applied to camels as well as horses) shocked the Mongols' enemies.

Wasn't necessarily in times of desperation either. Was common practice on long journeys, from what I remember reading. Funny how they too came across the same practice as Cushites and our Nilotic descendants (Maasais) by mixing it with milk. Very clever way of giving oneself an electrolyte kick.

Also the whole ''unukka leh'' food wars it's pretty lame. Peoples cultures are composed with multiple elements. A single a culture is a composite of trade, migration, influence and exchange with other external cultures.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts