Educational underperformance amongst young Somali guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
iunno but why all the girls here have signed up as males lol

dnt lie being a man is cool we can write our names in the snow with our piss.....
dats some cool shit right deyr
If that's possible maybe the reverse is also likely. Maybe you're a woman posing as a man. Abaayo stop acting like a thug with a jamaican partner.:ohhh:

Im not a drugdealer.. sxb haa igu so diciin .. laakin dhanlinta hadey shaqolan heyso , hade haa shaqeystan oo suuqa geeska kaa galan hay
raali iga ahaw. Lakiin hadee ba nacas gadhayaan , shaqo faaido leh ma ahan. Waa xaaran, wilisha ina xabsiyada noo galaan ma rabta nah. :kanyehmm:

iunno but why all the girls here have signed up as males lol

dnt lie being a man is cool we can write our names in the snow with our piss.....
dats some cool shit right deyr
Also why would you piss on the snow you backward barbarian. Don't you know of the toilet.

SumMo

very lowkey
I
Hi there, I’m new here and this is officially my first ever post on S. Spot. I wanted to discuss whether others agree that there is an issue with Somali boys in particular struggling in education.

I have two younger brothers, both have dropped out of college. One of them regularly gets into trouble with the law and the other spends 90% of his day sleeping and playing video games. I have tried advising them many times but they get snappy with me.

Part of me wants to blame my parents for not being proactive earlier in their upbringing – but how do you start that conversation with your parents…?

I suspect this is quite common in our community, please share your thought! Thanks.

This is sadly epedemic for us. Where I live majority of somali women, be it mothers, wives or single high-school graduates; are all enrolled in a higher-education. Meanwhile our boys/men, well.. few of them are making it in society tbh.

I have a theory that if somali girls and somali boys were raised in the exact same manner, we would have been able to bridge some of this gender gap. Most of the time, the parents will instill heavy discipline on the girls and hold high expectations for them. Meanwhile the boys have no curfew and are not expected to know basic living (such as: cooking/cleaning/self-care/accountability)..

I know of families where the mom wouldn’t let her daughters leave the house without supervision, meanwhile her sons would roam around the streets engaging in questionable activities. In some instances the daughters may even get punished if they don’t cater for their brothers; such as clean for them, cook for them, help them with their homework (even if he is older than them). As if it’s their job to take care of a grown man..:vo3yidw:

It baffles me how somali parents get surprised when their sons and daughter who are raised completely differently, end up becoming different beings in society. Like why is that surprising? One is fit to tackle whatever society throws her way, the other one has only been babied all his life and don’t have any comprehension of the word ‘discipline’.

I know of a family where one of their daughters is an engineer and a member of the local government, the other daughter is a nurse who competed in a national cooking contest.. meanwhile their son is in jail. Like, how?

Just the other day my dad confessed to me how he lowkey felt relieved over the fact that he only has ‘daughters’, because the odds of us ending up jail or uneducated are far slimmer.. It’s a sad reality wallahi.

Gender shouldn’t play such an important factor in how we turn out, but sadly this is what happens when we put heavy emphasis on the childs gender when raising them. In reality somali guys have the same ability to succeed as somali girls, they are just unaware of this as they haven’t been raised to unlock their full potential. Most of them have been raised in a similar fashion as a handicapped person, smh. How can they be expected to tackle adulthood with the little tools they are given? :snoop:

Last edited:
I remember this funny story my relative who went to carabta told me. She was invited to dinner by a family. When they were eating the daughter didn't eat with them although the sons of the family dined with the guests. After that when they finished eating the boys picked up the plates and were headed to the kitchen the daughter of the family who was in PRAYER came OUT of prayer and ran to pick the food up from then and then ran again and came back with a farxal (a bowl of water to wash hands) even though the kitchen was a few steps away. I laughed so much istaqfurullah, she came out of prayer see suxunta ka qaado.

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
Hi there, I’m new here and this is officially my first ever post on S. Spot. I wanted to discuss whether others agree that there is an issue with Somali boys in particular struggling in education.

I have two younger brothers, both have dropped out of college. One of them regularly gets into trouble with the law and the other spends 90% of his day sleeping and playing video games. I have tried advising them many times but they get snappy with me.

Part of me wants to blame my parents for not being proactive earlier in their upbringing – but how do you start that conversation with your parents…?

I suspect this is quite common in our community, please share your thought! Thanks.

Your parents shouldn't be scared to be more harsh on your brothers coz I know for sure no daughter would get away being like this. :kodaksmiley:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I

This is sadly epedemic for us. Where I live majority of somali women, be it mothers, wives or single high-school graduates; are all enrolled in a higher-education. Meanwhile our boys/men, well.. few of them are making it in society tbh.

I have a theory that if somali girls and somali boys were raised in the exact same manner, we would have been able to bridge some of this gender gap. Most of the time, the parents will instill heavy discipline on the girls and hold high expectations for them. Meanwhile the boys have no curfew and are not expected to know basic living (such as: cooking/cleaning/self-care/accountability)..

I know of families where the mom wouldn’t let her daughters leave the house without supervision, meanwhile her sons would roam around the streets engaging in questionable activities. In some instances the daughters may even get punished if they don’t cater for their brothers; such as clean for them, cook for them, help them with their homework (even if he is older than them). As if it’s their job to take care of a grown man..:vo3yidw:

It baffles me how somali parents get surprised when their sons and daughter who are raised completely differently, end up becoming different beings in society. Like why is that surprising? One is fit to tackle whatever society throws her way, the other one has only been babied all his life and don’t have any comprehension of the word ‘discipline’.

I know of a family where one of their daughters is an engineer and a member of the local government, the other daughter is a nurse who competed in a national cooking contest.. meanwhile their son is in jail. Like, how?

Just the other day my dad confessed to me how he lowkey felt relieved over the fact that he only has ‘daughters’, because the odds of us ending up jail or uneducated are far slimmer.. It’s a sad reality wallahi. :snoop:
Preach!
Boys should be raised with the same expectations. Most girls I know ( I don't know many so this is not accurate) are very accomplished whilst their brothers work a minimum wage job and the mother takes ayuutos to buy 25 yr old boys cars and trainers. My own family is sadly messed up with this preferential boys treatment and it has caused many problems and destroyed the ties in my family. I get an earful after I cook and my brothers refuse to eat, as if I'm starving them or something. I'm shouted at when they dress in rag even though I clean and iron the best clothing when they're going out but they chose not to wear it.Before I had older sisters to lean on but they've left home accomplished whilst my older brother is still considering about his 'future'.

Last edited:

wawenka

Guul Ama Geeri
I

Just the other day my dad confessed to me how he lowkey felt relieved over the fact that he only has ‘daughters’, because the odds of us ending up jail or uneducated are far slimmer.. It’s a sad reality wallahi.

Gender shouldn’t play such an important factor in how we turn out, but sadly this is what happens when we put heavy emphasis on the childs gender when raising them. In reality somali guys have the same ability to succeed as somali girls, they are just unaware of this as they haven’t been raised to unlock their full potential. Most of them have been raised in a similar fashion as a handicapped person. smh:snoop:
@SumMo wow !

wawenka

Guul Ama Geeri
I

Gender shouldn’t play such an important factor in how we turn out, but sadly this is what happens when we put heavy emphasis on the childs gender when raising them. In reality somali guys have the same ability to succeed as somali girls, they are just unaware of this as they haven’t been raised to unlock their full potential. Most of them have been raised in a similar fashion as a handicapped person. smh:snoop:
Monsterous observation! , but @SumMo if thoose outcomes are the disadvantages of our culture what are the advantages for our men ? It there is always to sides to a coin you can’t just tell me its one way. And by the way i fully agree with you we clearly have issues in our community as young Somali males

Pirate

Shep Tupacs brother
yh I know right, why has cinina changed to male. Abaayo it's unbecoming of a lady to excrete outside let alone piss in the snow. Also abaayo it's not very classy to speak ghetto language xxx
LOOOOOL TAHA :siilaanyolaugh:............I can't help it sorry:manny:

SumMo

very lowkey
I

Just the other day my dad confessed to me how he lowkey felt relieved over the fact that he only has ‘daughters’, because the odds of us ending up jail or uneducated are far slimmer.. It’s a sad reality wallahi. :snoop:
Monsterous observation! , but @SumMo if thoose outcomes are the disadvantages of our culture what are the advantages for our men ? It there is always to sides to a coin you can’t just tell me its one way. And by the way i fully agree with you we clearly have issues in our community as young Somali males

There are some advantages, but the disadvantage is far greater (which is why we need to dismantle this part of our dhaqan asap!) I don’t like to focus much on ‘good aspects’ of behaviours/tendencies that is overall toxic.

However an advantage is that many somali guys learn how to become street-smart, because most of them (sadly) end up in the streets.. They may learn useful tools/skills; such as how to engage in social interactions, how to find different avenues in life, how to provide financially.

As much as it’s important to accumulate some street knowledge, it still isn’t enough (especially on its own) to make you a proper adult in this world. I think somali boys should be able to have this freedom to learn street knowledge, but it should be done within the context and the framework of legality and with some adult supervision (to guide them succesfully).

Instead of just letting them roam around the street and potentially setting them up for failure, maybe we should open up more youth facilities?

We should engage our sons in fun and adventurous after-school programs that isn’t just dugsi. This will allow them to express their male creativity without any limitation. Unfortunately the school system is also rigged against our boys (another factor to take into consideration). Studies have been preformed that shows how the school system is designed to uplift, encourage and bring-forth creative thinking that best suits the female mind. Guys who express interest in action and anything adventours are often belittled. They are told by the teachers (who are mainly women) that the best way to achieve your academic success is through a more feminine perspective. This kills the drive many of these boys have. This especially affects our boys who are also ‘black’, considering how also have other stigmas to overcome.

So if the schools aren’t doing much to uplift them, there should be a place where they can vent their interest (other than sports), and it won’t be dismissed. If not they will lose interest in pretty much anything academic.

So it’s not just the structure of the somali household holding them back. It’s also life outside the house. (Even tho they both interconnect in some ways). Most somali guys have neither of these laid out for them, therefor more likely to not do well in the greater society. :(

Last edited:

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
I remember this funny story my relative who went to carabta told me. She was invited to dinner by a family. When they were eating the daughter didn't eat with them although the sons of the family dined with the guests. After that when they finished eating the boys picked up the plates and were headed to the kitchen the daughter of the family who was in PRAYER came OUT of prayer and ran to pick the food up from then and then ran again and came back with a farxal (a bowl of water to wash hands) even though the kitchen was a few steps away. I laughed so much istaqfurullah, she came out of prayer see suxunta ka qaado.

I can't :snoop:

I hate this culture of the woman cooking for hours then expected to wait till the men are finished and clean after them , THEN eating afterwards. In Somalia my female cousins told me they sometimes have to eat left overs and cook for themselves again :ohlord:uff wtf

There are some advantages, but the disadvantage is far greater (which is why we need to dismantle this part of our dhaqan asap!) I don’t like to focus much on ‘good aspects’ of behaviours/tendencies that is overall toxic.

However an advantage is that many somali guys learn how to become street-smart, because most of them (sadly) end up in the streets.. They may learn useful tools/skills; such as how to engage in social interactions, how to find different avenues in life, how to provide financially.

As much as it’s important to accumulate some street knowledge, it still isn’t enough (especially on its own) to make you a proper adult in this world. I think somali boys should be able to have this freedom to learn street knowledge, but it should be done within the context and the framework of legality and with some adult supervision (to guide them succesfully).

Instead of just letting them roam around the street and potentially setting them up for failure, maybe we should open up more youth facilities?

We should engage our sons in fun and adventurous after-school programs that isn’t just dugsi. This will allow them to express their male creativity without any limitation. Unfortunately the school system is also rigged against our boys (another factor to take into consideration). Studies have been preformed that shows how the school system is designed to uplift, encourage and bring-forth creative thinking that best suits the female mind. Guys who express interest in action and anything adventours are often belittled. They are told by the teachers (who are mainly women) that the best way to achieve your academic success is through a more feminine perspective. This kills the drive many of these boys have. This especially affects our boys who are also ‘black’, considering how also have other stigmas to overcome.

So if the schools aren’t doing much to uplift them, there should be a place where they can vent their interest (other than sports), and it won’t be dismissed. If not they will lose interest in pretty much anything academic.

So it’s not just the structure of the somali household holding them back. It’s also life outside the house. (Even tho they both interconnect in some ways). Most somali guys have neither of these laid out for them, therefor more likely to not do well in the greater society. :(
Wow amazing, very insightful. You've said everything, nothing more is to be added. The solution is to make activities for them as you said. Mashallah sis you are very articulate.

I can't :snoop:

I hate this culture of the woman cooking for hours then expected to wait till the men are finished and clean after them , THEN eating afterwards. In Somalia my female cousins told me they sometimes have to eat left overs and cook for themselves again :ohlord:uff wtf
When my extended family gather together ,my aunties say ''naagta lafeeha cunta'' the women eats the bones kkk. And they all eat last. When I say last I mean they eat a couple of hours after evreryone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending