Educational underperformance amongst young Somali guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there, I’m new here and this is officially my first ever post on S. Spot. I wanted to discuss whether others agree that there is an issue with Somali boys in particular struggling in education.

I have two younger brothers, both have dropped out of college. One of them regularly gets into trouble with the law and the other spends 90% of his day sleeping and playing video games. I have tried advising them many times but they get snappy with me.

Part of me wants to blame my parents for not being proactive earlier in their upbringing – but how do you start that conversation with your parents…?

I suspect this is quite common in our community, please share your thought! Thanks.

I am not a Somali but as an AA male I can tell you that the educational system is not designed for P.O.C.'s. Whatever western country you are in the purpose of that particular school system is to assimilate you into the norms of that society.

There are even levels of education. The elite sends their children to academies to groom them to be leaders. The upper class sends their children to magnet schools to groom them to be executives. The religious people sends their children to parochial schools to become clergy. The rest send their children to public schools so they will become the working class.

The best solution I can offer is to build your own institutions and educate your own. Only a people of a particular culture can teach their own IMO.

No this is not common , most likely you come from a family without a father figure or the father figure is often absent.This is not common with Somalis and is limited to a few families.

KREAM

"Can you bring equilibrium?"
No this is not common , most likely you come from a family without a father figure or the father figure is often absent.This is not common with Somalis and is limited to a few families.

Walaal is right. Support your family. Esp if a male figure isn't present give your little nephews, cousins, etc the male figure they need.

The blame solely lies with Somali parents. Your brothers should have been kicked out already. Does your dad pay their phone bills too?

SomaliSteel

No dictator can imprison a population forever.
If school is not for them they can enter the workforce and get a good job in the trades.

Pirate

Shep Tupacs brother
sum feminist calacal notice how she thinks she's a man
why do feminists want to be men so badly??

secondly stop projecting ur familys issues and generalizing all guy a lot of us here are in uni....

lastly women of all races do better in education then male counterpart so its not exclusive to ur two siblings of somalis... :camby:

It’s a western fenomema.

Somalis who come here recently performe well.

So it has to do with western society as a whole.

I think it’s the safety net and good living standard.

People know that if they f*ck up in education that atleast they won’t be poor.

They can live on government aid.

It’s like they don’t have to sleep on the street.

GeelJirito

Qram Qram Jaw
Hi there, I’m new here and this is officially my first ever post on S. Spot. I wanted to discuss whether others agree that there is an issue with Somali boys in particular struggling in education.

I have two younger brothers, both have dropped out of college. One of them regularly gets into trouble with the law and the other spends 90% of his day sleeping and playing video games. I have tried advising them many times but they get snappy with me.

Part of me wants to blame my parents for not being proactive earlier in their upbringing – but how do you start that conversation with your parents…?

I suspect this is quite common in our community, please share your thought! Thanks.

Why the f**k are they still at home, eating, sleeping, playing games. Your parents are to blame 100% they need to be kicked out to fend for themselves. Grown men still living at home while contributing nothing to the family. When one of my brothers started acting up my parents kicked him out, he was told this isn't a fully paid vacation where you get to eat, sleep, come and go as you please, he couldn't last few days in the real world. He is graduating from college this summer.

If your parents are the kind that turn blind eye to the boys and are only strict with girls then RIP to your brothers, one is already in and out of the jail and the lazy one will join him soon in the pen.

sorry If I am being harsh

KREAM

Why the f**k are they still at home, eating, sleeping, playing games. Your parents are to blame 100% they need to be kicked out to fend for themselves. Grown men still living at home while contributing nothing to the family. When one of my brothers started acting up my parents kicked him out, he was told this isn't a fully paid vacation where you get to eat, sleep, come and go as you please, he couldn't last few days in the real world. He is graduating from college this summer.

If your parents are the kind that turn blind eye to the boys and are only strict with girls then RIP to your brothers, one is already in and out of the jail and the lazy one will join him soon in the pen.

sorry If I am being harsh

You're not harsh speak the truth walaal.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I am not a Somali but as an AA male I can tell you that the educational system is not designed for P.O.C.'s. Whatever western country you are in the purpose of that particular school system is to assimilate you into the norms of that society.

There are even levels of education. The elite sends their children to academies to groom them to be leaders. The upper class sends their children to magnet schools to groom them to be executives. The religious people sends their children to parochial schools to become clergy. The rest send their children to public schools so they will become the working class.

The best solution I can offer is to build your own institutions and educate your own. Only a people of a particular culture can teach their own IMO.
Most of the Somali diaspora lives in welfare states with good public schools so racism is not the problem.

And FOBs seem to do better than those born and raised in the west.

The problem is a lack of ambition and purpose in life. This is caused by not knowing your identity and trying to fit into a society in which you do not belong.

Walaal is right. Support your family. Esp if a male figure isn't present give your little nephews, cousins, etc the male figure they need.

Kream

We’ve tried to help out the kids of an aunt that we sponsored, her kids (2 girls and a boy) never went to a proper school prior to coming to Australia and since they were young (11,10 and 8) we designed for them a makeshift foundational curriculum focused teaching them an intensive language and literacy skills to catch up with the other kids in their year-level. After few weeks, the aunt told us not to bother anymore with the two girls as they will be married, we tried to reason with her but to no avail. Weeks later, the boy dropped out citing that he’s top of his class when he could barely construct a sentence in writing. But the good news is, he wants to become president of “our” maamul goboleed. I encouraged him to learn how to speak English properly and keep away from crazy kids and one day, he might achieve his dream.

KREAM

Kream

We’ve tried to help out the kids of an aunt that we sponsored, her kids (2 girls and a boy) never went to a proper school prior to coming to Australia and since they were young (11,10 and 8) we designed for them a makeshift foundational curriculum focused teaching them an intensive language and literacy skills to catch up with other kids in their year-level. After few weeks, the aunt told us not to bother anymore with the two girls as they will be married, we tried to reason with her but to no avail. Weeks later, the boy dropped out citing that he’s top of his class when he could barely construct a sentence in writing. But the good news is he wants to become president of “our” maamul goboleed. I encouraged him to learn how to speak English properly and keep away from crazy kids and one day, he might achieve his dream.

Walaal all you can do is help your own. If they don't listen that's not on you.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
It comes down to IQ, since i'm an intelligent person, i'm significantly more likely to graduate from university and be competent in the job market. How many nerds are out there committing violent crimes or breaking the law? I'll tell ya, not many since they have more to gain from following the rules.

IQ is a powerful predictor of both educational attainment and lifetime success. My advise, if you are stupid, don't have any children, or they'll grow up to be underperforming menace to society since we know that intelligence is 50-70% genetic (mostly inherited from your parents).

Since we are living in a fast moving technological information age, the dumber xoolo will be left behind quickly, and since they don't have the mental capacity to do well, they will resort to crime and anti-social behaviour.

Only hardworking, intelligent, law-abiding somalis should be allowed to have children in prosperous cadaan countries.

Somali boys/guys don't need modern "education" they need empowerment. Education teaches you to be the worker, while empowerment teaches you to be individual, self sufficient and the boss.

If we raised our boys with the same vigor we did our girls, we wouldn't have this problem.

The girl in a Somali household is the maid, the honor student, prisoner and the secondary mother figure. That's a lot of responsibility for a young child but it bears fruit as girls advance in life.

The boy in a somali household is a prince without obligation, a feral animal from the age of 13 (for Somali household raising stops there), his sisters superior without ever earning it with the end result being a drop-out/criminal person in the household.

If the boy just manage to get a low paying job the parents will be overjoyed while the girl can only succeed if she gets a good university degree and a high-paying job. It is the bigotery of low standards.

I'm glad you raised the issue, I've seen it in my own family and life and at my work place in the prosecution office, where I've yet to see a Somali female accused for anything more than a traffic violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending