Discuss why is Colorism so prevalent in the Somali Community ?

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
800px-Reden%C3%A7%C3%A3o.jpg

Most Somali's show apparent ignorance about the practice of exclusion and discrimination based on the skin tone of a person although it is a deep-rooted problematic practice embraced by both the oppressor and the victim. Colorism a topic in which the Somali Community for decades has ignored and labelled as nothing more than Western phenomenon. If this was the case, why are many people back home literally killing themselves in order to lighten their skin. The user's of many products such as diana know the risk associated with bleaching products, but still willing take the risks. So why are they going to such lengths for something as natural as skin color. Unlike other nations Somalia is a Homogeneous nation , which further confuses me how did colorism find its roots in the Somali society; how deeply does it influence the mass consciousness; and what are the reasons behind the prejudice and bias toward dark skin?As mentioned in a previous post , the stigma assoicated with Darkskin is horrendous . You are automatically seen as less "beautiful" and more undesireable . People skip over you in marriage considerations just cause of your skin and they don't want dark children.

Yes I admit featurism is a thing in Somalia aswell ,but it doesn't compare to colorism as a whole. Even if you have the perfect nose , forehead or whatever other feature that people desire. It won't change the fact that your skintone isn't optimal. In the West we are lucky enough to avoid the immediate effects of colorism from our community but for many colorism in many forms. Many of the insults used to disrespect Somali clans are based on colorism. Better yet ,when I say the terms "Mooryan" , "Tuug" , "Xasiid" , what kind of person are you imaging ? If you say a light-skin person you're capping . This isn't the fault of anyone but the refusal to address the issue is morally wrong.

Another issue I see the misappropriation of Islamic Texts to justify discrimation , comments such as " You can see they lack nur on their face " when they see a dark skin person. I don't know the actual source for this hadith I'm assuming but I feel this is the biggest player in the issue.The belief lighter skin = More Nur are somehow connected to each other. When it's winter people are complimenting your lighter skin and in Summer they are telling you how you should stay inside more cause your getting too dark.How many times has a family member seen the arrest warrant photo of a darkskin person and immedtialy thinks they must have done it. The benefit of doubt is taken away from people of darker complexion.

The image above is called the " The Redemption of Ham" which shows a Black mother with her mixed race daugther alongside her White Husband and daugther. This is the dream for many somali parents having lighter children, it's linked with wealth, being pious and much more. The Image above views Darkskin as a curse that hence the need to have lighter children I feel like this is the case for many people in somalia too. There Darkskin is curse which is why BOTH male and females engage in colorism especially when looking for partner. I refute the claim that Colorism only came into existence in Somalia due to European colonialism. That is a copeout to take away blame from Somali culture which has idolized Lighter skin via terms of endearment such as " Cadey" and passive aggressive comments to those with darker skin.

Colorism has always existed in Somali society in many different forms yet the concept is so foreign it doesn't even have a word in Somali. The same can be seen with gay people there is no word for Homosexual in Somali "Khanis" is derogatory term yet it is a fact gay people live in Somalia too. Just because a issue isn't talked about or labelled what it actually is doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I won't lie I used to be perpetuer of colorism , saying terms such as dhuxl and yellow eyes when arguing with people even when they weren't darkskin. The same way racism and tribalism are learnt colorism is too , making people aware of it's existence and countering the effects is moral and religious obligation. Always remember PBUH last sermon,

“All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white – except by piety and good action."

This includes skintones people, so it's about time people stopped being ignorant on the issue and follow these words.

TLDR, I'm sad I think the English weather has finally token it's toll on me . Gonna Order some food

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP

Most Somali's show apparent ignorance about the practice of exclusion and discrimination based on the skin tone of a person although it is a deep-rooted problematic practice embraced by both the oppressor and the victim. Colorism a topic in which the Somali Community for decades has ignored and labelled as nothing more than Western phenomenon. If this was the case, why are many people back home literally killing themselves in order to lighten their skin. The user's of many products such as diana know the risk associated with bleaching products, but still willing take the risks. So why are they going to such lengths for something as natural as skin color. Unlike other nations Somalia is a Homogeneous nation , which further confuses me how did colorism find its roots in the Somali society; how deeply does it influence the mass consciousness; and what are the reasons behind the prejudice and bias toward dark skin?As mentioned in a previous post , the stigma assoicated with Darkskin is horrendous . You are automatically seen as less "beautiful" and more undesireable . People skip over you in marriage considerations just cause of your skin and they don't want dark children.

Yes I admit featurism is a thing in Somalia aswell ,but it doesn't compare to colorism as a whole. Even if you have the perfect nose , forehead or whatever other feature that people desire. It won't change the fact that your skintone isn't optimal. In the West we are lucky enough to avoid the immediate effects of colorism from our community but for many colorism in many forms. Many of the insults used to disrespect Somali clans are based on colorism. Better yet ,when I say the terms "Mooryan" , "Tuug" , "Xasiid" , what kind of person are you imaging ? If you say a light-skin person you're capping . This isn't the fault of anyone but the refusal to address the issue is morally wrong.

Another issue I see the misappropriation of Islamic Texts to justify discrimation , comments such as " You can see they lack nur on their face " when they see a dark skin person. I don't know the actual source for this hadith I'm assuming but I feel this is the biggest player in the issue.The belief lighter skin = More Nur are somehow connected to each other. When it's winter people are complimenting your lighter skin and in Summer they are telling you how you should stay inside more cause your getting too dark.How many times has a family member seen the arrest warrant photo of a darkskin person and immedtialy thinks they must have done it. The benefit of doubt is taken away from people of darker complexion.

The image above is called the " The Redemption of Ham" which shows a Black mother with her mixed race daugther alongside her White Husband and daugther. This is the dream for many somali parents having lighter children, it's linked with wealth, being pious and much more. The Image above views Darkskin as a curse that hence the need to have lighter children I feel like this is the case for many people in somalia too. There Darkskin is curse which is why BOTH male and females engage in colorism especially when looking for partner. I refute the claim that Colorism only came into existence in Somalia due to European colonialism. That is a copeout to take away blame from Somali culture which has idolized Lighter skin via terms of endearment such as " Cadey" and passive aggressive comments to those with darker skin.

Colorism has always existed in Somali society in many different forms yet the concept is so foreign it doesn't even have a word in Somali. The same can be seen with gay people there is no word for Homosexual in Somali "Khanis" is derogatory term yet it is a fact gay people live in Somalia too. Just because a issue isn't talked about or labelled what it actually is doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I won't lie I used to be perpetuer of colorism , saying terms such as dhuxl and yellow eyes when arguing with people even when they weren't darkskin. The same way racism and tribalism are learnt colorism is too , making people aware of it's existence and countering the effects is moral and religious obligation. Always remember PBUH last sermon,

“All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white – except by piety and good action."

This includes skintones people, so it's about time people stopped being ignorant on the issue and follow these words.

TLDR, I'm sad I think the English weather has finally token it's toll on me . Gonna Order some food
I summarized it in 3 images
:mjlol::drakelaugh::sitdown:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I read most of it but people wont be bothered to read a post so long thay @DR OSMAN would feel embarrassed about.

Realize I organized them by skin tone like the photo you put

As long as I have all the tanks, bm21, and technicals. U can have the colorism. I will rape u in the end anyways. U don't understand Somali culture, isn't about colorism. We all got light skined clans-woman, it's about 'power' nothing else. U have obviously given up the power race, maybe you trying to get me to give up, nice try I know your trick is to make me like you and minority. Because u saw your arms and weapons and clan numbers and now you play the game of colorism, you won't fool somalis. We will inspect beeshada to see if it's strong first before anyone takes your opinion.

I know automatically when someone is smaller clan, they don't talk about their 'weaponry' and soldiers. You ain't eating shit in Somalia without soldiers, you will be treated like un-armed clans and discriminated. Your beautiful light skin women would be 'forced' to marry dark dark men and they will cause they WANT POWER?

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
As long as I have all the tanks, bm21, and technicals. U can have the colorism. I will rape u in the end anyways. U don't understand Somali culture, isn't about colorism. We all got light skined clans-woman, it's about 'power' nothing else. U have obviously given up the power race, maybe you trying to get me to give up, nice try I know your trick is to make me like you and minority. Because u saw your arms and weapons and clan numbers and now you play the game of colorism, you won't fool somalis. We will inspect beeshada to see if it's strong first before anyone takes your opinion.

I know automatically when someone is smaller clan, they don't talk about their 'weaponry' and soldiers. You ain't eating shit in Somalia without soldiers, you will be treated like un-armed clans and discriminated. Your beautiful light skin women would be 'forced' to marry dark dark men and they will cause they WANT POWER?
Its not my thread you're raping the wrong dude. @KingSolo is the one you're looking for.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid

@The Good I won't forgive you for tagging this nutcase into my thread.

@DR OSMAN You want to know my qabiil and what difference will that make? Are you even Muslim talking about rape and a reminder I'm a Man so you're a homosexual aswell. Didn't take you for the type, but I don't judge do your thing but keep it on grinder not Sspot. I don't advocate for violence I hope for peace but aslong as people like you exist I see it will be a long journey.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Its not my thread you're raping the wrong dude. @KingSolo is the one you're looking for.

Guys I never created this culture in Somalia. It's just how it is. They don't treat clans who are un-armed well, it doesn't matter how beautiful they are. Even they are beautiful, they will assume 'don't marry' them and play with them without marriage, the way they see it is, their clan has no power to stop you to 'fondle' her away.

Wallahi it roots back to power, without power, your men and women are not respected in somalia. U saw that rape case in galkayo with asha girl, her clan is un-armed that's why. That's what they do to beautiful women who are light skinned. They see them as having no clan defending them. It's all rooted in power nothing else. Same thing will happen to any clan who has no 'army'.

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Guys I never created this culture in Somalia. It's just how it is. They don't treat clans who are un-armed well, it doesn't matter how beautiful they are. Even they are beautiful, they will assume they 'don't marry' them and play with them without marriage, the way they see it is, their clan has no power to stop you to 'fondle' her away. Wallahi it roots back to power, without power, your men and women are not respected in somalia.
I have nothing to do with the original post's idea. Im trying to tell you that
:bell:

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Guys I never created this culture in Somalia. It's just how it is. They don't treat clans who are un-armed well, it doesn't matter how beautiful they are. Even they are beautiful, they will assume 'don't marry' them and play with them without marriage, the way they see it is, their clan has no power to stop you to 'fondle' her away.

Wallahi it roots back to power, without power, your men and women are not respected in somalia. U saw that rape case in galkayo with asha girl, her clan is un-armed that's why. That's what they do to beautiful women who are light skinned. They see them as having no clan defending them. It's all rooted in power nothing else. Same thing will happen to any clan who has no 'army'.

You didn't "start" this culture but you won't be the one to help end it is what you are saying right? That's pathetic and you've missed my point entirely I Bet you haven't read my thread yet threated to rape me with swiftness. Please see your local Imam and get quran saar ASAP cause no sound minded person would say the things you write without thinking

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement

Don't think Somalis are colorist. My mother is super light skin while I have a average skin tone, nobody comments on it, nobody really gives a crap. No compliments to my mother over her skin tone and no statements thrown my way over mines.:manny:

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Don't think Somalis are colorist. My mother is super light skin while I have a average skin tone, nobody comments on it, nobody really gives a crap. No compliments to my mother over her skin tone and no statements thrown my way over mines.:manny:

Fair enough it doesn't personally happen to you, but that isn't always the case for others. Noone you know engages in the things I stated above? If so mashallah you have very sane family and friends.

Noone insults people purely for the skintone? I'm really struggling to believe that, only cause even on this site alone you see people using darkskin as some sort of insult. Plus colorism doesn't require someone to compliment lighter skin tones it does that by discriminating against darker skin tones.

If colorism isn't that much of an issue why do people bleach there skin ? If it's cause of beauty standards do you have any reasons why such standards would exist in the first place? I've given you my reasons I'd be interested to hear yours.

Last edited:

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Fair enough it doesn't personally happen to you, but that isn't always the case for others. Noone you know engages in the things I stated above? If so mashallah you have very sane family and friends.

Noone insults people purely for the skintone? I'm really struggling to believe that, only cause even on this site alone you see people using darkskin as some sort of insult. Plus colorism doesn't require someone to compliment lighter skin tones it doesn't that by discriminating against darker skin tones.

If colorism isn't that much of an issue why do people bleach there skin ? If it's cause of beauty standards do you have any reasons why such standards would exist in the first place? I've given you my reasons I'd be interested to hear yours.
It's the new trend for people to like light skins. I really don't understand how anyone can get turned on by a skin complexion waa fucking weird af. Ask these light skin loving guys why they love their light princesses cause I'm on the same boat as you.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
We are less colorist than most races no need to go so hard on us :manny:
were probably the least colorist

Using Relative Privation doesn't change the fact it exists. All I want is people to be aware of it and make conscious decision to not engage in it. I just want the best for our people nothing more, plus it's haram so even more reason to remind people. I know we have wide variety of other problems that we need to deal but hey one can dream right?

Odkac WRLD

جندي صومال
VIP
I do know for a fact the standard for beauty for most faraaxs (myself included) is lighter skin. I try to fight it but can’t help it, it’s almost as if it was hard wired into me

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
I do know for a fact the standard for beauty for most faraaxs (myself included) is lighter skin. I try to fight it but can’t help it, it’s almost as if it was hard wired into me

I Feel you bro , once I noticed I seemed to have bias for lighter skin I tried to find rational reason for it but there wasn't. I try my best to not engage in this filth anymore though