Diet for gaining muscle

Mozart

You need people like me
Doucette is a PED using joker who pretends he was natty back when he looked like this:

6coxxlU.jpg

My cat's anus. CICO (Calories In, Calories Out) works if you're a bodybuilder prepping for shows and okay with coming and going hunger and weight fluctuations all year round. And also if you're someone who doesn't know anything about micronutrients and biochemistry and doesn't care about the various deficiencies they definitely will have eating the ways he advises; not to mention the accumulated toxins, accelerated aging and so forth. Don't take your advice from a nigga who claims popcorn is healthy and has shortened his life-span with PEDs because he's insecure that he's 5'6:

Bismillah.
I’ve counted calories for nearly 4 years and made great progress in the gym. I also use time restricted eating so maybe a 4-5 hour window. Time restricted eating, eating just about enough protein, and a minimal caloric deficit helps with anti-aging.

CICO works for healthy people and my starting condition was good. People have insulin resistance or terrible glycogen use and blame CICO when they need to change their eating/exercise habits.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I’ve counted calories for nearly 4 years and made great progress in the gym. I also use time restricted eating so maybe a 4-5 hour window. Time restricted eating, eating just about enough protein, and a minimal caloric deficit helps with anti-aging.

CICO works for healthy people and my starting condition was good. People have insulin resistance or terrible glycogen use and blame CICO when they need to change their eating/exercise habits.

I am skeptical, saxiib. Everything I've read in the biochem and overall mechanistic data implies that folks doing this are definitely low-grade toxifying themselves and their organs with all the excess carbs and it will catch up with them once they're older and they're definitely aging themselves up and don't realize how much better they could feel without the carbs, fiber and whatnot. It's also usually just not as nutritious. Most of these CICO types know very little about micronutrients and won't eat nutrient dense, quality foods like liver, a good steak or quality eggs and think it's just fine getting their protein from something like beans, for example.

But kudos to you on time-restricted eating. I can't argue with your points there. I've done that myself at various points. Excellent stuff. How much does your weight fluctuate all year round? And honestly, it seems incredibly tedious to have to count calories even if you've gotten good enough to eyeball it. I just eat to satiety and khalas.

Mozart

You need people like me
I am skeptical, saxiib. Everything I've read in the biochem and overall mechanistic data implies that folks doing this are definitely low-grade toxifying themselves and their organs with all the excess carbs and it will catch up with them once they're older and they're definitely aging themselves up and don't realize how much better they could feel without the carbs, fiber and whatnot. It's also usually just not as nutritious. Most of these CICO types know very little about micronutrients and won't eat nutrient dense, quality foods like liver, a good steak or quality eggs and think it's just fine getting their protein from something like beans, for example.

But kudos to you on time-restricted eating. I can't argue with your points there. I've done that myself at various points. Excellent stuff. How much does your weight fluctuate all year round? And honestly, it seems incredibly tedious to have to count calories even if you've gotten good enough to eyeball it. I just eat to satiety and khalas.
Not much, I hover at around 77-80kg year round. I had cancer as a child so I’m very conscious about weight and gaining too much because of the potential health issues. It’s also why I watch my protein intake.

I agree with the carbs. I think most Somali people over eat them. In my teens I kickboxed to a high level and I’m also still very active which is why I think my body tolerates them well. ‘Siimland’ is a good YouTuber for all of this health/ anti-aging/ cancer stuff

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Not much, I hover at around 77-80kg year round. I had cancer as a child so I’m very conscious about weight and gaining too much because of the potential health issues. It’s also why I watch my protein intake.

I agree with the carbs. I think most Somali people over eat them. In my teens I kickboxed to a high level and I’m also still very active which is why I think my body tolerates them well. ‘Siimland’ is a good YouTuber for all of this health/ anti-aging/ cancer stuff

I'm glad you're okay now, abowe. And I'm familiar with Sliimland. Decent YouTuber. But I wouldn't worry as much about protein. A lot of the alarmism surrounding it is just that; alarmism. In reality, contrary to what people push with keto, old paleolithic folks were not seemingly eating low to moderate protein but high fat but a pretty comparable amount of protein and fat. This always seemed intuitive to me when I looked at most animal foods (the only real sources of protein and fat for most Paleolithic people):

Rib-eye Steak (291g):

63g of Fat
69g of Protein

5-egg Omelette:

35g of Fat
30g of Protein

8 oz Salmon fillet:

20g of Fat
47g of Protein

So they would have been getting pretty comparable amounts of protein and fat. It's honestly pretty hard to eat low to moderate protein but high fat in a natural setting. And, apparently, our ancestors more or less ate one for one protein and fat which allowed them to run in a state of low grade ketosis for most of the year with an insulin to glucagon ratio of 1.3 which is pretty good for longevity and overall long-term health from what I gather.

But I understand, given your history, if you're iffy about experimenting and feel comfy with what works so far.

I had this friend who said to me that training was useless and that a knife or gun could overpower anybody, he ended up getting his ass beaten by a guy in secondary school who was a young bodybuilder :drakelaugh: :drakekidding: poor guy (his age is 20)

Oadkac

I like oodkac!
So far I eat 2,500 calories a day and I consume 50 grams of protein. Alx I have sisters who cook lunch and dinner everyday which I’m grateful for but it’s the same old bariis and basto. I make my own breakfast everyday which is normally just eggs. Meat is also a huge portion of my diet. Do you guys think eating bariis and basto everyday is not healthy? I’m 6’3 and 166 by the way. Also food recommendations would be helpful.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Calorie surplus, .7-1g of protein per lb of body weight, strength train, go sleep/rest, drink water and that’s all.

digaagjecel

SSpots starting point guard
Calorie surplus, .7-1g of protein per lb of body weight, strength train, go sleep/rest, drink water and that’s all.
I appreciate it bro, I’m pretty new to this as you can see. Last time I lifted weights was when I was 15 playing on the football team(American). Even then I had a horrible diet, strength wasn’t really necessary for me since I was pretty fast for my size. @Mozart and @Shimbiris broke down the dieting part well for me. I’m still learning though,
I’m the type to just keep my head down and continue until I see good results.

Oadkac

I like oodkac!
I appreciate it bro, I’m pretty new to this as you can see. Last time I lifted weights was when I was 15 playing on the football team(American). Even then I had a horrible diet, strength wasn’t really necessary for me since I was pretty fast for my size. @Mozart and @Shimbiris broke down the dieting part well for me. I’m still learning though,
I’m the type to just keep my head down and continue until I see good results.
After reading this thread, 90% of it is shit. Let’s say you weigh 160 pounds, eat 160g of protein, or if you weigh 172 pounds, eat 172g of protein. You get the idea, and since you’re in a calorie surplus it’ll be easy. Carbs are very important in your diet, you can’t just exclude a whole food group like these idiots recommend. Right before you workout, eat an apple or a granola bar or something. During breakfast, eat some carbs and have some carbs in your post workout meal (along with some protein).

As for your workouts, I recommend a PPL split, however any workout that hits each muscle group twice a week and you can do progressive overload on is fine too (adding weight/reps steadily).

When you’re eating food, try to eat relevantly health but if you got some Mackies here and there it’s not a big deal.

Rest is very important, get at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night.

Drink good water every day, try making sure your pee is clear or something or until you feel hydrated.

You don’t need pre-workout, it can help but it can get addicting. Get used to working out without it, if you need a stimulant, try coffee or something, trust me on this.

Protein powder is decent if you need help getting in protein, but it’s better to get protein from natural/Whole Foods as they contain lots of other micronutrients as well.

Don’t ever even consider taking workout drugs :whew:

Make sure to correct your form in the gym, you don’t want to do an exercise incorrectly and injure yourself. Sure you might need to lower the weight to do the exercise correctly, but it’s better for muscle development and your body.

DONT SKIP LEG DAY. It helps keep your body looking proportional and it releases the most amount of testosterone and HGH (growth hormone).

If you feel too sore one day to workout, take a rest day. But don’t make it a habit.

Honestly that’s all the advice I can give you, ask me any questions you have.

Some supplement such as the protein powder are bogus because the moment u stop taking or the stop the gym routine u will lose weight. What I recommend is eating natural proteins such as eggs, beans and meat. And muscles are creating in the process of tearing and rebuilding so u need a lot of work and rest. Muscle isn't build on how much weight u lift but how consistent are u.

Oadkac

I like oodkac!
Some supplement such as the protein powder are bogus because the moment u stop taking or the stop the gym routine u will lose weight. What I recommend is eating natural proteins such as eggs, beans and meat. And muscles are creating in the process of tearing and rebuilding so u need a lot of work and rest. Muscle isn't build on how much weight u lift but how consistent are u.
That’s not true. You only lose weight when you go in a caloric deficit or you go in a maintenance with high cardio.

digaagjecel

After reading this thread, 90% of it is shit. Let’s say you weigh 160 pounds, eat 160g of protein, or if you weigh 172 pounds, eat 172g of protein. You get the idea, and since you’re in a calorie surplus it’ll be easy. Carbs are very important in your diet, you can’t just exclude a whole food group like these idiots recommend. Right before you workout, eat an apple or a granola bar or something. During breakfast, eat some carbs and have some carbs in your post workout meal (along with some protein).

As for your workouts, I recommend a PPL split, however any workout that hits each muscle group twice a week and you can do progressive overload on is fine too (adding weight/reps steadily).

When you’re eating food, try to eat relevantly health but if you got some Mackies here and there it’s not a big deal.

Rest is very important, get at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night.

Drink good water every day, try making sure your pee is clear or something or until you feel hydrated.

You don’t need pre-workout, it can help but it can get addicting. Get used to working out without it, if you need a stimulant, try coffee or something, trust me on this.

Protein powder is decent if you need help getting in protein, but it’s better to get protein from natural/Whole Foods as they contain lots of other micronutrients as well.

Don’t ever even consider taking workout drugs :whew:

Make sure to correct your form in the gym, you don’t want to do an exercise incorrectly and injure yourself. Sure you might need to lower the weight to do the exercise correctly, but it’s better for muscle development and your body.

DONT SKIP LEG DAY. It helps keep your body looking proportional and it releases the most amount of testosterone and HGH (growth hormone).

If you feel too sore one day to workout, take a rest day. But don’t make it a habit.

Honestly that’s all the advice I can give you, ask me any questions you have.
Yawaaye brother you know your shit I appreciate it but I still believe what the others have said is useful. I’ve done my own research lately and it’s matching up with what they said as well. What kind of split would you recommend.

Oadkac

I like oodkac!
Yawaaye brother you know your shit I appreciate it but I still believe what the others have said is useful. I’ve done my own research lately and it’s matching up with what they said as well. What kind of split would you recommend.
:kanyeshrug: Take their advice if you’d like, you’re a free man in America after all.

Push/Pull/Legs is by far the best. You can do PPL(rest)PPL, or PPLPPL(rest).

Try incorporating a tiny bit of cardio in a week btw.

Last but not least, at least look into my advice, I watch greg doucette and licensed professionals.

digaagjecel

:kanyeshrug: Take their advice if you’d like, you’re a free man in America after all.

Last but not least, at least look into my advice, I watch greg doucette and licensed professionals.
Of course bro everything you said was copy and pasted into my notes. I’ll try different methods and see how they work. I do ppl(rest) normally, what do you think of doing core everyday?

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP
So far I eat 2,500 calories a day and I consume 50 grams of protein. Alx I have sisters who cook lunch and dinner everyday which I’m grateful for but it’s the same old bariis and basto. I make my own breakfast everyday which is normally just eggs. Meat is also a huge portion of my diet. Do you guys think eating bariis and basto everyday is not healthy? I’m 6’3 and 166 by the way. Also food recommendations would be helpful.
For your height you're kind of a twig, but I''d avoid Baasto and Bariis eating. Eat carbs only on the days you are lifting as Carbs benefit more muscle training and allow you to last longer in workouts. Beyond that if you do a lot of carbs when you're not lifting the body can store it as fat.

Like Arnold Schwarzeneger said, "Shock the Muscle". You gotta keep pumping to Muscle failure, which is the point where your arm falls down after last rep and you feel like you have to carry your arm or arms or can barely walk if it was leg muscles you did. Muscle failure is how body rebuilds dense Muscles.

Also your genetics can determine things too. I can go to Gym and get more Muscular fast because I have stronger muscle performance and strong muscles genetics and capped shoulders, but if I stop lifting I will start losing some Muscle mass.

World

VIP
Train each body part 2x a week, i suggest a program like push pull legs. Eat like 100g protein a day, and 2500 calories a day. If you are not gaining weight on 2500 calories then eat 2700. Don’t gain more than 1lb a week else as the rest will be fat.

I can only speak to what worked for me. Removing cardio which I used to do a lot of and giving myself a rest day between workout days just worked swell alongside full-body weight training. If you're already hitting body parts 3-4 days a week that's 3-4 times more per week than these saxiibs who do splits and show up 5 days a week or more. Anymore than that, especially with heavy compound lifts, is overkill. You're not on the sauce, walaal. Don't fatigue your body.

I would also recommend cutting back on the Carbier dairy products like milk and yogurts once you bulk up enough in order to lean out. Meat, eggs, cheeses and seafood should lean you out good and help you keep the mass gained too. Make sure to eat to satiety.

Dude have you got like a plan for your workout? I really want to bulk now but don't know where to start

Be careful tho all that oodkac will fatten you up
:silanyosmile:

50 grams of protein a day won't build you muscle. regardless of what your goals are

First, define your goal:
1) Build muscle and strength while gaining fat (lean bulk)

Calculate your daily calorie intake and increase it by 200 -300 calories. You will reach a point where you will plateau. either cut at that point or add more calories. Must be following a resistance training split.

2) Losing fat and Building muscle at the same time (body recomp) this is a very slow process and you prob wont see progress until around 3-5 months

Calculate your total daily calorie intake and if your main goal is to lose fat eat 100-200 calories max under it. If your main goal is to build muscle increase maintenance by 100-200 calories max. again, must follow a resistance training split or you won't see results.

3) Maintain current muscle and lose fat (cut)
Calculate your total daily calorie intake and subtract it by 300-500. You must eat 160 grams of protein daily or you will lose your muscle mass. Also, follow a resistance training split.

For all of these your macros will be the following
1 gram of protein per lb of body weight (166 grams)
25-30% fat
rest is carbs

any split works as long as you're hitting all your muscle groups at least twice a week.

I do upper/lower split 4 times a week

Trending

Latest posts