Demonstrating how easily the Arabic script can be repurposed for Soomaali

Apollo

VIP
Hobbits fit better with the Irish language aesthetic or whatever the leprechauns in the rainbow speak. Elves maybe. I don't know, but I guess we're perceived differently.

The linguistic situation in Ireland is another fascinating topic. These guys really disrespect their ethnic language which is hanging by a thin thread on the cliffs of Western Ireland and barely anybody ever uses it. Really sad shit.

Pigeons are cool. My mother's always loved them. I plan to build a pigeon coop on my farm out of love for hooyo.

john wick GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
Respect to that, need to honor our hoyos.

I used to, in the very rare instances, feed bread to pigeons besides the river when I found myself walking past the area (I think my mom used to feed them whenever we used to walk there many years ago). I did not have any particular love for them to be honest.

Apollo

VIP
Same will happen with Somalia, but Af-Maxaa crushing all the laangaab ones.

In Ethiopia, if they remain a country either Amharic will spread like this, or Oromo will spread into SNNPR+Sidama and potentially Somali areas (Dear God..).

2IKRy1v.jpg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Respect to that, need to honor our hoyos.

I used to, in the very rare instances, feed bread to pigeons besides the river when I found myself walking past the area (I think my mom used to feed them whenever we used to walk there many years ago). I did not have any particular love for them to be honest.
I'm getting way off topic in my own thread but I envy other nomadic peoples and their practicing of Falconry. Such a dope cultural practice:

Unfortunately, Cushitic nomads like Somalis seem to have historically scoffed at any form of hunting which is why that activity was left to "low-caste" tribes like the Madhiban who used poison tipped bows and arrows and hunting dogs in some cases too from what I hear.

Our boy @Apollo surely finds it cool as well given his dp and the character he supposedly resembles:

I'm getting way off topic in my own thread but I envy other nomadic peoples and their practicing of Falconry. Such a dope cultural practice:

Unfortunately, Cushitic nomads like Somalis seem to have historically scoffed at any form of hunting which is why that activity was left to "low-caste" tribes like the Madhiban who used poison tipped bows and arrows and hunting dogs in some cases too from what I hear.

Our boy @Apollo surely finds it cool as well given his dp and the character he supposedly resembles:

I will tame one specific rare bird later in my life, Inshallah.

@Apollo

This is what I mean when I say you don't need to respect the conventional rules of the Arabic script (like being an abjad) for Af Soomaali and that it can work perfectly. Here is a Soomaali version made by a rando laymen like myself:

B - ﺏ
T - ﺕ
J - ﺝ
X - ﺡ
Kh - ﺥ
D - د
Dh - ذ
R - ر
S - س
Sh - ش
C - ﻉ
F - ف
Q - ﻕ
K - ﻙ
G - كَ
L - ﻝ
M - ﻡ
N - ن
W - و
H - ه
Y - ﻱ
E - ى
EE - ىَ
I - إ
II - إِ
O - ؤ
OO - ؤَ
U - وُ
UU - وَُ
A - ا
AA - آ

Then you just write phonetically like with the Latin variant of Somali using the above letters and basically insert vowels in a manner you otherwise wouldn't with the Arabic script. Below are examples using news article titles:

Doorashada Soomaaliya: Maxay ka dhigan tahay in askar badan ay noqdaan xubno baarlamaan?

دؤَرؤشادا سؤَمآلإيا: ماحاي كا ذإكَان تاهاي إن اسكار اي نؤقدآن حوُبنؤ بآرلامآن؟

"Wiilkeyga iyo mid aan adeer u ahay ayaa dagaalka lagu dilay haddana nabaddaan ka shaqeynayaa"

وإِكىكَا إيؤ مإد آن ادىَر وُ اياي ايآ داكَآلكا لاكَوُ دإلاي هادانا نابادآن كا شاقىينايآ

Ruushka: Muxuu damacsan yahay Putin, waa kan ciidammadiisa heeganka geliyee?

روَُشكا: موُحوَُ داماعسان ياهاي بوُتإن، وآ كان عإِدامادإِسا هىَكَانكا كَالإيىَ؟

And here are some Somali names:

Male names
Rooble رؤَبلى
Warsame وارسامى
Samatar ساماتار
Faroole فارؤلى
Liibaan لإِبآن

Female names
Asili اسإلإ
Ladan لادان
Hodan هؤدان
Ayaan ايآن
Sagal ساكَال

You telling me you prefer Latin goofery to this? And look at the calligraphy waiting for us, niyahow:

pbYq5u3.jpg
FJ7Uy9o.jpg
xl5OMNk.jpg

:banderas:

Not to mention that this is the writing script our ancestors used both for its original Arabic and for Af-Soomaali for about a millennia at least:

When Ibn Battuta came to our peninsula in 1331 he describes how the people from Saylac (سايلاع) down to just south of Xamar (حامار) are dark-skinned Shafi'i Muslims who herd camels and sheep (obviously Somalis) and that the Sultan of Xamar at the time who is one of these people speaks "Mogadishan" (Somali) and "Arabic" and clearly recounts an instance where the Sultan writes things down in Arabic:

Alongside the extremely early evidence of masjids along the Somali coast:

And the fact that to this day, like in the 1800s and 1900s below- :

-even many rural Somalis know how to read the script despite being illiterate in the Latin script and their own language as they get taught how to read the Qur'an using those wooden boards you see. There's so much history and culture between us and this script, niyahow. Not to mention how beautiful it is and now that you can see it can easily be repurposed for Soomaali I hope you will cease this Latin coonery. Allah bless!

Negative affects of arabic script on Afghanistan.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Negative affects of arabic script on Afghanistan.
Doesn't apply here, walaal. You're using examples where people foolishly insist on using archaic, not very well altered forms of the script for languages it is inappropriate for like actually keeping the script an abjad while using it for an Iranic language which is extremely foolish; of course you're going to have economic and educational problems when you insist on using an abjad for a vowel heavy language. I've shown you plain as day that you can EASILY make the Arabic script vowel friendly and use it phonetically for a language like Somali.

Now, I ask that you explain why the example I showed you itself wouldn't work, walaal. For example, Apollo shared a valid criticism earlier when he said that people can be prone to not using diacritics which can make entire letters disappear for the example I showed but I find even that questionable as there are diacritic heavy Latin variants like Turkish and it's not like there's some massive problem with people forgetting to insert the diacritics.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The linguistic situation in Ireland is another fascinating topic. These guys really disrespect their ethnic language which is hanging by a thin thread on the cliffs of Western Ireland and barely anybody ever uses it. Really sad shit.
It's so weird how passionate they get about anti-English sentiment and stuff like the liberation of Northern Ireland while prattling away in English and showing very little interest in knowing their mother tongue.

Imagine Somalis in Somalia/Somaliland speaking Somali like they're hooyo mataalo reer qurbos while being fluent in Amharic. Subxanallah. What an unbelievable L.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
@Shimbiris @The alchemist

Similar things are happening to many of the other laangaab languages in Europe, especially in France, Germany, and Italy. The youth there no longer speak minority languages or dialects any longer (some exception though, but in general true).

The Neolithic killed genetic diversity due to a small number of agriculturalists expanding.

Nowadays, modernity is killing minority languages. I don't think the world will ever speak one language, but a handful of languages will dominate with all the laangaab ones dying off.

RIP Beja. RIP Iraqw. RIP Rendille. RIP Afar.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Similar things are happening to many of the other laangaab languages in Europe, especially in France, Germany, and Italy. The youth there no longer speak minority languages or dialects any longer (some exception though, but in general true).

The Neolithic killed genetic diversity due to a small number of agriculturalists expanding.

Nowadays, modernity is killing minority languages. I don't think the world will ever speak one language, but a handful of languages will dominate with all the laangaab ones dying off.

Hmmmm, I feel like this won't really happen in Ethiopia if it maintains its current federal slant and survives the current turbulence. These ethnic regions its created, which it is creating more of like how the Sidama recently got their own region outside of the SNNP region, are practically like countries within a country and if the local ethnic groups play their cards right they can easily keep maintaining their languages as co-official with the Amharic lingua franca.

Even when the Horn someday becomes wealthier and developed, there won't be as much incentive to abandon their native tongues for groups like Somalis, Afars and Oromos as they may still see the benefit in maintaing strong ties with members of their ethnic groups in other neighboring countries, especially in the case of Somalis who run two of the neighboring countries.

Al Muslim

الموت لامريكا الموت لإسرائيل
It's so weird how passionate they get about anti-English sentiment and stuff like the liberation of Northern Ireland while prattling away in English and showing very little interest in knowing their mother tongue.

Imagine Somalis in Somalia/Somaliland speaking Somali like they're hooyo mataalo reer qurbos while being fluent in Amharic. Subxanallah. What an unbelievable L.
It's cause Irish people and westerners in general don't care all that much about culture or heritage. Most western nations are now the same indistinguishable crowd of consumerist liberal atheists who don't think further than the next dopamine hit.

In the past Irish people used to hide in forests from the British authorities just so they could be taught in their language.

Now you get youths complaining about having to do it in secondary school, treating it like a chore instead of a valuable part of their identity.

You see the same thing with Scotland, Wales the Isle of man and cornwall. Cornish got completely wiped out, Scottish Gaelic is fledgling and Manx and Welsh are actually being revived somewhat.

Som

VIP
1)the only non Arabs who use Arabic based scripts are Pakistanis, Afghans and iranians. All of these countries have a long written tradition in their Arabic based script. The earliest evidence of somali being written with the Arabic script are fairly recent, we are talking about late 19th century to early 20th century. Before this time literate somalis would just use Arabic to write letters and documents.If we are going to use a new script she should chose something that was created by somalis themselves like the Osmaniya script which is also easy to learn and was created specifically for af Somali.
2) the latin script is easier and much more useful than the Arabic one, latin based af somali is already widespread switching everything would be difficult and would cost money and resources that we don't have. Adopting the Arabic script is also a sign of surrending to Arab culture. Somalis don't need more arabization and cultural colonialism

What affected the loss or decline of linguistic diversity in ethnolinguistic association in pre-agriculture has changed considerably ever since the end of the ice age. The association between the distribution and diversity as well as density of ethnolinguistic groups have had multi-faceted relationships with the subsistence strategies and how those patterns of lifestyles in variant capacities got shaped in the manner of covariance and sometimes direct correlations with the environmental conduciveness for productivity. Agriculture in many ways is more resilient against ecological stressors while the forager lifestyles are strongly affected by climatic variables, as consequence, this will set ethnolinguistic spatial restrictions in the group area range.

You can put it this way, areas with low speech diversity experienced a higher level of replacement, and on the contrary places with linguistic diversity generally underwent long-time settlement, possibly relying on systematic niches for survival, which can have regulated population size per group as well. We observe political complexity in high area coverage by low ethnolinguistic diversity. One is not wrong to draw a relationship between societal advancement and distribution as well.

It's important to be aware of the stark unequal distribution of linguistic diversity quantified by population size by each ethnicity. Under five percent of the world's population speak above 90% of the existing diversity in the world, furthermore, 2000 languages are spoken by less than 1000 native speakers. Things like centralization and standardization in a regional and national structural level make it economically stifling to not learn other languages. Learning new languages for them opens new possibilities, in fact, to put it bluntly, that is the only way in the majority of instances.

It is said that around 50-90% of the worlds linguistic diversity will become extinct and with that a lot of ethnolinguistic groups, the majority in those 2000 I mentioned earlier will experience ethnopathosis, that is, the majority of the principal native speakers will die while many assimilate to other dominant speech communities forgetting their heritage.

I believe that on average, the people on the edges (low population/high diversity), from this line of discussion, speak more languages than people normally adhering to a mainstream culture even in pluralistic societies. Like the people consisting of a small ethnolinguistic group might learn the languages of co-affiliated populations that live in geographic proximity (that often share cultural traits, have higher inter-marriage rates), a broader-reaching sub-regional dominant language, and as well as the official language of the country, and it can go further to the most spoken languages as well of which you learn through educations as well.

And not to forget to emphasize the ever-changing impact of globalization, advancement in transportation, people are a lot more mobile than ever and ethnic boundaries blurred by those movements, instant communication, the internet, etc.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
1)the only non Arabs who use Arabic based scripts are Pakistanis, Afghans and iranians. All of these countries have a long written tradition in their Arabic based script. The earliest evidence of somali being written with the Arabic script are fairly recent, we are talking about late 19th century to early 20th century. Before this time literate somalis would just use Arabic to write letters and documents.If we are going to use a new script she should chose something that was created by somalis themselves like the Osmaniya script which is also easy to learn and was created specifically for af Somali.

That's not true. It seems the practice of using the Arabic script to transcribe Somali or impromptu throwing Somali words into Arabic written sentences existed as far back as the 1100s given that it's origin is commonly attributed to a well-known and accounted for Somali ("Barbari") man from that period by the local Somalis who greeted western scholars during periods like the 19th and 20th centuries. If you're going to then leap up and claim there's no proof of this then I don't know what to tell you. The Somalis of periods like the 18th-19th centuries claim as much and were already clearly using Arabic to transcribe Somali in a manner that didn't look like they just made it up on the spot. You're just going to look like some dude with cuqdad if you claim they were apparently lying. Honestly, I think types like you would deny Wadaad's writing existed at all if we didn't have clear, undeniable examples that it did like below:

Trending

Latest posts