Crazy Family Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a trade to consider. :lol:

The part where I reduced toying with them about the incoherence of their idealogy and moral framework might have something to do with my own self-preservation as well. You know, the bit you said about that they would cut your throats in a heartbeat is true. So now I'm back to the point where even though I'm not practicing, I think their assumption is that I've 'seen' the light. It helps that I'm an adult now, so I don't have to interact with them anymore.

But you know, like @VixR I was a Salafi when I was young. I pretty much held any extremist belief you may encounter with them, and with some conviction. Things began to unravel because I loved science too much, and reconciling it with the Koran was too much of mental gymnastics. I realised I wasn't talented enough for the Naik-Yahya Olympics. But I can imagine if I wasn't into science or reading, that would have been me.
Oh, so you're an atheist too? I'm not surprised. Anyone who gets his understanding of Islam from Zakir Naik is pretty much headed for atheism. Nike, as we call him, or Mr Just Do It, is a low IQ neanderthal who can be demolished by any moderately intelligent teenager. He's anti-science, anti-freedom, and anti-reason. He preaches that non-Muslims cannot build places of worship in Muslim countries whilst crying about the fact he was banned from the West. Never occurs to him that if you deprive others of freedom, you will lose your freedom. He's responsible for the bogus Scientific Miracles in the Quran narrative which he stole from Christian and Hindu missionaries who made similar claims about their holy books. When you look up his quotes they bear no resemblance to any scientific theory you care to name. And classical scholars of tafsir never understood the Quran in that way. Even Salafis like Hamza Zortis and Muhammad Hijab have spoken out against this bogus narrative.

And when he does encounter a genuine scientific fact, like evolution, he claims it is a western conspiracy even though science trained Muslim theologians have accepted its validity. There's an arrest warrant for him by the Indian authorities who've banned his extremist nonsense. He will get raped in jail very soon.

I have a couple of extremists in my family. Very hardcore. They dress in frocks even though they are men and use a broken twig to clean their teeth because toothbrush is for Westerners. They never quote from the Quran. They quote Ibn Taymiyyah and Muhammad Abdul Wahab. I tell them I'm Shia just to piss them off. I carry a whip around at all times and start flagellating my back for Hassan and Hussein when I see them coming. Really destabalizes them.

I don't know how I'm related to these guys. Do we really have the same genes? I've pretty much cut them off. I'm closer to my idol worshippin', pork eatin', beer drinkin', elephant god veneratin' Indian neighbor with the nice sari. I asked her what the significance of the red dot on her head is. "It means", she told me, "that my head is empty." God bless her. Empty or not she has more brains than my fundamentalist relations.

Did I mention they never stop cleaning their teeth with twigs? Day or night, indoors or outdoors, they've got a miswak jammed in their mouth. I won't lie, their teeth is not as jaad stained as mine as a result, but how can you put a stick in your mouth when you're at the supermarket? Cringe making.

They say that friends are God's apology for family. I wonder if every family is torn apart by similar differences. It's not just religious kooks. I have a younger brother who's a conspiracy nut. He believes the Apollo moon landings were faked and that men never walked on the moon. "How can the US flag astronauts planted there move when there is no wind on the moon?" he says with the triumphant air of a goose that's laid a golden egg. Go ask an astronomer you little muppet instead of regurgitating the Alex Jones school of science. And then he bangs on about the "Holohoax" and the "fake 6 million". Scientific ignorance and antisemitism, how charming. I don't talk to the guy any more. It's too painful.

Do you guys have family members with totally alien beliefs? How do you manage?

Your hilarious :pachah1:

When you look up his quotes they bear no resemblance to any scientific theory you care to name. And classical scholars of tafsir never understood the Quran in that way.
Couldn't agree more. All most all of the translations of the Koran curve fitted to agree with science were done in the 20th century, and classical tafsirs contain no such things. I had to show people Tafsir Ibn Kathir, and how his interpretations are so different from those provided by these modern translators. The funniest bit is that these later translations were done by people like former musician Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam now).

1035x732-catstevens-5-1800-1386940771.jpg

:lol:

Couldn't agree more. All most all of the translations of the Koran curve fitted to agree with science were done in the 20th century, and classical tafsirs contain no such things. I had to show people Tafsir Ibn Kathir, and how his interpretations are so different from those provided by these modern translators. The funniest bit is that these later translations were done by people like former musician Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam now).

1035x732-catstevens-5-1800-1386940771.jpg

:lol:
Yusuf Islam is a punk. He endorsed the fatwa against Rushdie. Later he was talking about how the white man has misunderstood Islam. Yes, Mr Stevens, because there's no connection between murdering novelists and alarm about the religion in whose name he is murdered. What a moron.

Looks like he's put Wahabbism behind him these days though because he's returned to music after deeming it haram. That's progress of a sort I suppose. It's hopelessly sappy stuff though. Wouldn't care to disgrace my iPod with that junk.

It always happens to these fanatics - the moderation, they become Salafi burnouts. They realize, after ranting and raving like a dhoocil who's been sexually abused by Netanyahu, that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in their philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending