Citizenship law in Somalia/somaliland

I don't want Somalia citizenship, it will only spoil my American citizenship and undermine my future political plans. The law granting all ethnic Somalis citizenship needs to be scrapped if it's still on the books.

We Somalis want to be citizens of every nation and yet, we want to exclude all non Somalis to become Somali citizens. The world is kinder to these sort of people. You’ve to admire Donald Trump to classify us rightfully as a trash country with trashy people. That’s where me and Trump ends in our agreement. Waryaada isku xishooda because as we discuss this issue, there are tens of thousands of Somalis applying for citizenships of other countries. It’s something a person with low iq Somali would discuss it given our predicament.

Som

VIP
We need to distinguish ethnicity and nationality.
In my opinion half Somalis should get automatic citizenship no matter which parent is somali, citizens should also be allowed to foreigners who have lived in Somalia for some years.

Apollo

VIP
We need to distinguish ethnicity and nationality.
In my opinion half Somalis should get automatic citizenship no matter which parent is somali, citizens should also be allowed to foreigners who have lived in Somalia for some years.

I don't want to do gender warring in here, but Somali women tend to get lower quality men when they intermarry than what Somali men get when they marry out.

Som

VIP
I don't want to do gender warring in here, but Somali women tend to get lower quality men when they intermarry than what Somali men get when they marry out.

Well, I dont know if that's true.
The point is that half Somalis on their mother side and half Somalis on their dad side have the same relationship with the Somali people.
There is no practical difference between them.

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
Are we going to allow half Somalis to get Somali nationality?

I think only if the farther is Somali and a muslim. And is capable of providing evidence of his lineage up to his grandparents. On the other hand, if the mother is Somali, she must of lived and raised the child in Somalia for at least 10 years before the child can claim a Somali citizenship.

IMO, most half Somalis don't want to be associated with Somalia, at least from what I've seen they usually avoid talking about it and express frustration/anger when they do.

In this case, we should just follow Xeer law and deal with it like that.

Som

VIP
I think only if the farther is Somali and a muslim. And is capable of providing evidence of his lineage up to his grandparents. On the other hand, if the mother is Somali, she must of lived and raised the child in Somalia for at least 10 years before the child can claim a Somali citizenship.

IMO, most half Somalis don't want to be associated with Somalia, at least from what I've seen they usually avoid talking about it and express frustration/anger when they do.

In this case, we should just follow Xeer law and deal with it like that.

Romans used to say " mater semper certa est "which means that you are always certain of who you mom is.
Maternal ancestry is a safer way to determine ethnicity, jews also use this system.

Som

VIP
I've heard somaliland follows the five year rule of anyone that settles can be an SL passport holder citizen. Need to confirm that

Because when you're registering to view you gotta get confirmed by your caaqil if you're par of the clans history within the Somaliland territories

What if some is half isaaq or half dhulbahante ect.
Is such a person allowed to have somaliland nationality based on maternal ancestry?

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
What if some is half isaaq or half dhulbahante ect.
Is such a person allowed to have somaliland nationality based on maternal ancestry?
No where in the world is maternal ancestry taken seriously. Even in Judaism, The High Priest has to trace his lineage paternally

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
Romans used to say " mater semper certa est "which means that you are always certain of who you mom is.
Maternal ancestry is a safer way to determine ethnicity, jews also use this system.

Somalia has always used the paternal lineage, whether or not this changes depends on the future.

No where in the world is maternal ancestry taken seriously. Even in Judaism, The High Priest has to trace his lineage paternally
Correct.

In Jewish tradition, a Jew inherits his faith(Judaism) from his Mother & his ethnic identity from his Father.

Hence why when a Ethnic Jewish man who is practising his Faith marries out, he encourages his foreign wife to convert to Judaism to ensure his children remain Jewish in Faith.

If his foreign wife doesn't convert, then his children will still be Jewish/Hebrew ethnically.

Last edited:

Tbh, even when a Somali woman gets a high quality man from a different race, she is still trashed and shamed. Many Somali men are having illegitimate and legitimate children with chavy white women who raise them to be non Muslim and without a trace of Somali culture. Yet the men of sspot eagerly embrace them.

From my time on sspot it is evident that the real reason has not much to do with the quality of the man, but plain old misogyny and entitlement at play here. Its primitive thinking, along the lines of we can have their women, but they can't have ours. But women are not objects to be taken or stolen.

If women were actually seen as people who make choices like engaging in interracial marriages the same reason a Somali man might, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Apollo

VIP
Tbh, even when a Somali woman gets a high quality man from a different race, she is still trashed and shamed. Many Somali men are having illegitimate and legitimate children with chavy white women who raise them to be non Muslim and without a trace of Somali culture. Yet the men of sspot eagerly embrace them.

From my time on sspot it is evident that the real reason has not much to do with the quality of the man, but plain old misogyny and entitlement at play here. Its primitive thinking, along the lines of we can have their women, but they can't have ours. But women are not objects to be taken or stolen.

If women were actually seen as people who engage in interracial marriages the same reason a Somali man might, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not even basing it on SomaliSpot, but basing it on personal experiences. I knew this would be controversial, but agree to disagree.

I'm not even basing it on SomaliSpot, but basing it on personal experiences. I knew this would be controversial, but agree to disagree.

I'm not debating with the fact that a few Somali women that engage in interracial marriages choose trash men. I see and understand what you are talking about. But can you honestly say their reaction would be different if the man was of a higher status? From my observations on sspot, i don't think so even though real life is very different.

This isn't a gender war btw. I feel as though you are the few I can have a civilised convo with and genuinely respect your opinions.

I honestly agree with you, but this place has beaten that horse to death, twice over. Of course, all anecdotal.

To contribute to this thread, in my opinion anyone with a Somali parent should be entitled to a Somali nationality.

I honestly agree with you, but this place has beaten that horse to death, twice over. Of course, all anecdotal.

To contribute to this thread, in my opinion anyone with a Somali parent should be entitled to a Somali nationality.

Bro, are u somali?