Cast of K'naans new show just announced and most of the main actors aren't Somali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
6 out of 9 main characters will be played by non-Somali actors. Here they are:

Ezana Alem
will play Sameer, the Somali all-American boy, who is described as a handsome, excellent student who is planning to go away to college with his beautiful girlfriend, Lacy. He is devoted to his parents, yet pressured by their hopes and dreams for him.

wZLBLgs2B3fDfbDlmL9Mxdn0upeo0UytJ-9JB7zHUfIyAPhcqkn7gKVwBWk34BkNoYmlgo3dw1IiuhHAgf8pIXroaT-fmjiByENgXpOTVk_x=w324-h454-nc

Selam Tadese will play Bisbaas, a renowned gangster with a friendly laugh and a surprising violent streak. Beloved by his nephew Ali (Abdirahman Abdi), he returns to the neighborhood after years of banishment by his sister and brother.

images

Rif Hutton will play Afrah, Sameer’s (Alem) father, a former professor in Somalia who works at a rental car company since immigrating to the United States, and is preparing to take the American citizenship test. His experience has given him a detached wisdom and a wry sense of humor.

images

Elvis Nolasco will play Liban, Ali’s (Abdirahman Abdi) uncle and proud owner of Liban’s Classy Hookah. He’s an upright citizen who prizes the family’s reputation above all else. He is not pleased when his brother, Bisbaas (Tadese), returns to town. Nolasco is repped by APA and Silver Lining Entertainment.

images

K.C. Collins will play Jamal, who is described as street-wise, mysterious and handsome with an effortless charisma. He fashions himself after revolutionaries and tries to live his life by the book.

images

Liya Kebede will play Maryam, Ali’s (Abdirahman Abdi) mother who is strong-willed, vivacious and is the glue holding her family together. She is deeply troubled by her quarreling brothers.

images

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kathryn-bigelow-hbo-pilot-mogadishu-minnesota-sets-cast-163041387.html

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
This is a treason! Complete opportunist ! In the interviews he gave after the protest the guy said "even my makeup will be done by a Somali and even the construction of the movie setting will be taught to Somalis"

Duchess

VIP
After what those savage reer badiyo reer mn did, why should he cast Somalis?:childplease:

btw Liya is fine as hell.

He's in Minnesota to shoot the pilot and had already decided that the main cast would be non-Somali long before he arrived in the state. He claims his show will help the Somali-American community but the main cast is 2/3's non-Somali and the star of the show is non-Somali? :drakewtf:

Those kids were clearly on to something.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
He's in Minnesota to shoot the pilot and had already decided that the main cast would be non-Somali long before he arrived in the state. He claims his show will help the Somali-American community but the main cast is 2/3's non-Somali and the star of the show is non-Somali? :drakewtf:

Those kids were clearly on to something.

I highly doubt it, coming from you. Anways on his facebook page he said he was doing auditions for Somali actors.

After they acted like a bunch of savages, he properly had a change of heart.:cosbyhmm:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
So what the heck is the story about?

that Uncle is caring about the family reputation while he owns a shisha spot

:mindblown:

Duchess

VIP
This is a treason! Complete opportunist ! In the interviews he gave after the protest the guy said "even my makeup will be done by a Somali and even the construction of the movie setting will be taught to Somalis"

The three Somali actors will play minor/supporting roles. At least 2 of them are from the UK. What was the point of his casting calls in the US and Canada? He specifically asked for Somali actors. Was it all for show?:francis:

Prince Abdi will play Big Man, a spliff-smoking petty thug, who takes care of his blind grandmother. He has filled the void left by Bisbaas’s (Tadese) banishment and is now threatened by his return.

images

Yusra Warsama will play Hawo, Sameer’s (Alem) mother who is a hard-working and loving parent. She holds fast to traditional Somali family values, which often conflict with the agenda of an American teenager.

images

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
This is a complete disaster, it will only bring negative attention to our community. I fucking live here, where the hell can I escape to from all the ceeb? FML

:damn::kendrickcry::mindblown::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop:

Duchess

VIP
So what the heck is the story about?

that Uncle is caring about the family reputation while he owns a shisha spot

:mindblown:

A Somali-American high school student who's from a traditional family but dating a white girl and finding it difficult to balance the two worlds. He's a good kid, but lives in a troubled neighborhood and has some iffy relations. Mix in some ISIS recruiters and that's pretty much the show.

I highly doubt it, coming from you. Anways on his facebook page he said he was doing auditions for Somali actors.

After they acted like a bunch of savages, he properly had a change of heart.:cosbyhmm:

Are you slow? The casting calls were months ago. If he had selected Somali actors, why would he fire them because of an unrelated protest?:drakewtf:

The cast was decided long ago and he is currently in Minnesota to film the pilot. It's only after the pilot that HBO will decide whether the show will make it to air.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Somalis should protest by not watching this show low ratings and this is gone

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
At the end of the day, HBO needs people who can act, and who have at least some kind of acting experince. I doubt theirs many Somalis who can fill that role, especially a lead role.

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
I like Liya but she can't act for shit. Have you seen Desert Flower?
naw, but bad acting is no bueno :idontlike:

who even are any of these actors? the only one i recognize is prince abdi cuz of this youtube clip where ppl are cringing at his stand up :ohlord:

There are plenty of cadaan shows where the people can't act. They just make up for it by being very attractive and having a ridiculous storyline that you can't turn away from. We need a Somali The OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending