can we fix Somalia with our western education?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muji

VIP
Learn something useful like medicine, engineering (no liberal arts please) and go back and start a clinic/engineering firm. You can also teach at local universities to help the local youth.

No liberal arts?

Who’s going to make policies?
Who’s going to write the constitution?
Who’s going to write the books?

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
When our country have the money to build up the country they will be looking for people that are educated, if you are from the west you have a higher chance to get a role of building up the country. I have been in Sweden almost all my life but i still feel uncomfortable till this day, knowing that the people of the country wants you to leave their country.

Muji

VIP
Lemme guess, you’re doing liberal arts and felt personally attacked :hemad:

Nope

I just hate this jerking off on stem degrees all the time. There is so much employment opportunity in the creative arts but people are put off by the opinions of sheep so they become nurses and shit.

La Xawla

Long Live the Somali Republic
Nope

I just hate this jerking off on stem degrees all the time. There is so much employment opportunity in the creative arts but people are put off by the opinions of sheep so they become nurses and shit.
STEM degrees have practical uses unlike your African Studies and Political Science. Stop lying about employment as well. Some naive kid might believe you. You know damn well most of them work at shitty jobs like Starbucks/Walmart with tons of debt.

Somalia has to be fixed by the locals.
Not sure why diaspora feel like they know the needs of them better then the locals themselves. There are many bright young individuals (Somalia is a very young country median age) that have the same hopes and dreams as you.

It’s better to invest from afar.

Muji

VIP
STEM degrees have practical uses unlike your African Studies and Political Science. Stop lying about employment as well. Some naive kid might believe you. You know damn well most of them work at shitty jobs like Starbucks/Walmart with tons of debt.

:drakelaugh:

There is a limit ofcourse

I would prefer someone who studied policy making or politics to write our constitution not some autistic engineer. Somali definitely needs more intellectuals. Btw an African studies degree would be useful if you’re from a country in Africa .

La Xawla

I would prefer someone who studied policy making or politics to write our constitution not some autistic engineer. Somali definitely needs more intellectuals.
You really hate STEM huh :mjlol:
Btw an African studies degree would be useful if you’re from a country in Africa .
How :kodaksmiley:
upload_2018-7-5_18-6-19.gif

If 100 thousand western diaspora geeljires organized themselves, we could literally take over Somalia and transform it, sadly often diaspora based Somalis are the worst when it comes to clanism, nepotism, narcissism. But don't give up
First we need to form our own movement and hold meetings to discuss and plan for the future. No offence but that's not gonna happen over the internet and i've noticed that no one (even rich somalis kids) wants to take on that role of leading such a organisation or lodge.

:manny:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
My parents have western education like myself. I was born in the west and raised here. Coming in with a saviour complex will not help the people. The sheer fact that you were brought up in the west makes you a psychological hybrid of sorts. Try to speak their language, do not impose and go with good intentions, compassion, and some capital. There are tuugs and zero-sum types in high places back home. Be prepared for push back.

La Xawla

My parents have western education like myself. I was born in the west and raised here. Coming in with a saviour complex will not help the people. The sheer fact that you were brought up in the west makes you a psychological hybrid of sorts. Try to speak their language, do not impose and go with good intentions, compassion, and some capital. There are tuugs and zero-sum types in high places back home. Be prepared for push back.
Exactly. If there’s a mass migration back, there will be fights between diaspora and locals.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Exactly. If there’s a mass migration back, there will be fights between diaspora and locals.

Hostility is a natural byproduct. Especially, when you come in with your personal biases and expect others to be converted to your way of things without trying to figure out what drives along with their approach at problem solving. I think we must acknowledge the skills and intellect of the locals back home. Who tried to do the best the could despite challenges facing them. Honestly, if we switched fortunes and upbringing they might have done more than us.

La Xawla

Hostility is a natural byproduct. Especially, when you come in with your personal biases and expect others to be converted to your way of things without trying to figure out what drives along with their approach at problem solving. I think we must acknowledge the skills and intellect of the locals back home. Who tried to do the best the could despite challenges facing them. Honestly, if we switched fortunes and upbringing they might have done more than us.
The I-am-holier-than-thou attitude eh

The odayaal/elders rule the place, it’s not parliamentary system in action

They’ve got nabadoon, sultan, boqor, ugaas, and many other informal titles

It’s not a meritocracy as some think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending