Can/should Somalis say the N word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
It's probably late at night or mid day on that train, it's always empty during those times, especially when it's going towards the center.

It's always full during peak hours
You guys have them sky trains don't you? Mad views or nah?

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
You'll almost never hear people refer or greet each other with the term 'nigga' here in the U.K and for the record I'd say that the same applies
to other European countries including the ones from down under (@Adheer Warsame @Transparent @TheLibertarianQuiche). We use it on the internet an what not I guess but outside of it it just comes off weird since it's almost never used/or unintelligible when you have to connect it with every other word. That's not to say that we don't throw it around in a comical sense from time to time though, it's not a term of endearment for us.

We don't habitually throw the word around like you mans across the pond that said you'll find a handful of people who do to be "hip".

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat said, I find the whole 'only black people' could say it thing preposterous.

Haa la isku waasho!

:russ:
I say it anyways and my mates use it all the time.We have adopted our own somali madoow culture.Words like xaayi c*nt and nigga has become part of our vocabulary.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
You'll almost never hear people refer or greet each other with the term 'nigga' here in the U.K and for the record I'd say that the same applies
to other European countries including the ones from down under (@Adheer Warsame @Transparent @TheLibertarianQuiche). We use it on the internet an what not I guess but outside of it it just comes off weird since it's almost never used/or unintelligible when you have to connect it with every other word. That's not to say that we don't throw it around in a comical sense from time to time though, it's not a term of endearment for us.

We don't habitually throw the word around like you mans across the pond that said you'll find a handful of people who do to be "hip".

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat said, I find the whole 'only black people' could say it thing preposterous.

Haa la isku waasho!

:russ:

This wallahi. I used to live with this American-Nigerian guy, I caught it from him so I had a lil phase where I'd drop it frequently and it stuck with me for a while. In turn I infected a Somali friend of mine. He kept saying with a hard er in public, shit was mad awkward especially because he kinda looked cad cad/asian-ish. I went to get food with him once and there were a group of Nigerian/WA girls sitting on the next table over. I was trolling him about Mayweather having a good chance against Jon Jones in the octagon or some shit like that and he got bare annoyed so he goes: "Yooo, you are one dumb , how can he even get in striking range? How?" I glanced over at their table and they were so fucking confused, they just stopped talking. I'm sitting there like
:ohno:

Now it's almost exclusive to my AfAm online persona and shenanigans.:lolbron:

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I say it anyways and my mates use it all the time.We have adopted our own somali madoow culture.Words like xaayi c*nt and nigga has become part of our vocabulary.
I get what you mean sometimes you have to switch it up y'know, you're get greeted by the local hoodrat and you have to drop his luuqad.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
This wallahi. I used to live with this American-Nigerian guy, I caught it from him so I had a lil phase where I'd drop it frequently and it stuck with me for a while. In turn I infected a Somali friend of mine. He kept saying with a hard er in public, shit was mad awkward especially because he kinda looked cad cad/asian-ish. I went to get food with him once and there were a group of Nigerian/WA girls sitting on the next table over. I was trolling him about Mayweather having a good chance against Jon Jones in the octagon or some shit like that and he got bare annoyed so he goes: "Yooo, you are one dumb , how can he even get in striking range? How?" I glanced over at their table and they were so fucking confused, they just stopped talking. I'm sitting there like
:ohno:

Now it's almost exclusive to my AfAm online persona and shenanigans.:lolbron:
When that loud '-er' slips out and people turn around
:drakekidding:

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
neither madow nor Madow is offensive.

Pretty sure Madow was used interchangeably with adoon.

Madow isn't offensive it's just used to define Africans who aren't from the horn making it more...dumb than anything else.

Pretty sure Madow was used interchangeably with adoon.

Madow isn't offensive it's just used to define Africans who aren't from the horn making it more...dumb than anything else.

Madow is neutral. They are even called Madowweyn in Somalia. And madow isn't used to describe africans, just new world blacks. But it depends on the context most of the time, you'll hear somali parents saying something like "Adi may ku qaadan lahayen, oo madow oo hadana ba muslim ah"

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
It's how it's said that makes the difference. Both can be said in a nasty way which can change the meaning.

Madow is also used to describe hair. Timo adeg or timo Madow. The later is offensive.
How is the latter offensive?
I've only ever heard it used to describe Somalis who have that hair texture in a joking way, even when used seriously it's just an alternative to timo adeg

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Madow is neutral. They are even called Madowweyn in Somalia. And madow isn't used to describe africans, just new world blacks. But it depends on the context most of the time, you'll hear somali parents saying something like "Adi may ku qaadan lahayen, oo madow oo hadana ba muslim ah"

Nah I've seen Somalis use madow for everyone under the sun. It's primarily used for new world blacks but they use it for West and Central Africans too.

And Madow definitely has a more ominous noting than simply a neutral word. At least historically.

It's how the word is used. When we use it for somebody outside our community it's not really neutral. We're denoting a characteristic we routinely separate ourselves from.

Nah I've seen Somalis use madow for everyone under the sun. It's primarily used for new world blacks but they use it for West and Central Africans too.

And Madow definitely has a more ominous noting than simply a neutral word. At least historically.

It's how the word is used. When we use it for somebody outside our community it's not really neutral. We're denoting a characteristic we routinely separate ourselves from.

It's used negatively but so it the word black, but people still use it. Even ask the older generation, Madow is a neutral term, even they refer to themselves as Madowweyn is Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.