Buur Heybe Ancients

Apollo

VIP
What's the significance of these finds? What will we learn?

Are the Buur Heybe fossils related to this guy?

https://www.pnas.org/content/105/31/10693

Nah, highly unlikely E-M293 is from pastoralist Red Sea Cushites, not (South) HOA hunter-gatherers like the Buur Heybe HGs. See this quote on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-Z827#E-V1515 (V15V15 is the ancestral version of M293).

I personally think they will have paternal haplogroup E-V16/E-M281, which was detected in our honorable @Geeljire Sandheer.

Nah, highly unlikely E-M293 is from pastoralist Red Sea Cushites, not (South) HOA hunter-gatherers like the Buur Heybe HGs. See this quote on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-Z827#E-V1515 (V15V15 is the ancestral version of M293).

I personally think they will have paternal haplogroup E-V16/E-M281, which was detected in our honorable @Geeljire Sandheer.

Were the Buur Heybe hunter-gatherers Cushites? Or simply ancient east-africans carrying cushitic y lineage due to admixture?

Who are the Red Sea Cushites? Ancestors of Somalis or Bejas/Afars?

Were the Buur Heybe hunter-gatherers Cushites? Or simply ancient east-africans carrying cushitic y lineage due to admixture?

Who are the Red Sea Cushites? Ancestors of Somalis or Bejas/Afars?

Buur Heybe preceded cushities by thousands of years.

The skeletal remains are dated 7000bp, earliest Cushitic evidence in Somalia is 5500bp.

Buur Heybe preceded cushities by thousands of years.

The skeletal remains are dated 7000bp, earliest Cushitic evidence in Somalia is 5500bp.

Let me rephrase the question: Are they likely to have substantial ancient Eurasian ancestry like the Cushitic-speakers (maybe from a preceding migration)?

Otherwise, I don't see how they could have the T-haplogroup E-V16/E-M281, like @Apollo said.

Let me rephrase the question: Are they likely to have substantial ancient Eurasian ancestry like the Cushitic-speakers (maybe from a preceding migration)?

Otherwise, I don't see how they could have the T-haplogroup E-V16/E-M281, like @Apollo said.

E-M281 is an African lineage. Don't see as to why they would need to have Eurasian admixture.

E1b1b and it's descendents E-M281 and E-M35 originated in Africa and it's spread tied to ANA the population that admixed with Iberomaurasians and Natufians.

ANA = Ancestral North African?

Was that an intermediate group between Iberomaurasians and Natufians or a basal group?

Apollo

VIP
E1b1b and it's descendents E-M281 and E-M35 originated in Africa and it's spread tied to ANA the population that admixed with Iberomaurasians and Natufians.
I thought all E1b1b wasn't native to Africa, but the Afro-Asiatic marker?

E-M35 is (autosomally) the odd one out in the E group in that it is often associated with (South)West Eurasian autosomal admixture. IMO, I think it is because this group encountered M1, N1, R0, and U6 females early on at the transition phase between the late Paleolithic and early Neolithic (there's even mt N* found in archaic samples from Libya, likely in E-M35 carriers). E-M281/E-V16 & E-M329 (both Paleo HOA, non-AA) likely did not and remained in the Horn while E-M35 traveled more northwards and then back.

E-M35 is (autosomally) the odd one out in the E group in that it is often associated with (South)West Eurasian autosomal admixture. IMO, I think it is because this group encountered M1, N1, R0, and U6 females early on at the transition phase between the late Paleolithic and early Neolithic (there's even mt N* found in archaic samples from Libya, likely in E-M35 carriers). E-M281/E-V16 & E-M329 (both Paleo HOA, non-AA) likely did not and remained in the Horn while E-M35 traveled more northwards and then back.

1) So E-M35 went to North Africa and Levant, intermingled with the local populations then came back south into North East Africa and East Africa, bringing with it also a whole bunch of Eurasian MtDNA ancestry e.g. M1, N, R etc.?

2) I know Somalis are associated with E-V32, but what were the other Cushitic speakers associated with, particular the South Cushites?

3) So you're predicting these Buur Heybe people to be Ancestral East African with some hunter-gather San-like archaic African genes?

Apollo

VIP
1) So E-M35 went to North Africa and Levant, intermingled with the local populations then came back south into North East Africa and East Africa, bringing with it also a whole bunch of Eurasian MtDNA ancestry e.g. M1, N, R etc.?

2) I know Somalis are associated with E-V32, but what were the other Cushitic speakers associated with, particular the South Cushites?

3) So you're predicting these Buur Heybe people to be Ancestral East African with some hunter-gather San-like archaic African genes?

First part, yes more or less correct. Second part, South Cushites had E-V32 (confirmed by Prendergast et al. 2019) - the one with E-CTS3282 is an V32 subclade/alternative mutation name (use ISOGG's tree for confirmation), but it was not their dominant lineage, due to paternal bottlenecks in them E-M293 became the dominant one. E-M293 is not to be confused with E-M329, the latter is an Ethiopian hunter-gatherer lineage.

Usually in pastoralist groups only one or two paternal lineages become extremely dominant (see for example how E-M81 took off in Sahara Berbers or J-P58 in Arabian Bedouins), while in more agricultural groups (like Ethiopian highlanders or Egyptian farmers) a more diverse set of paternals remain. It's kinda odd, but that is how things seem to be apparently.

About the Buur Heybe, we have to wait and see, but I don't think they will have anything in common with the South African Khoisan. They are just local proto-Out-of-Africa people that never left the Horn basically. They will likely not be that close to modern Somalis either, similar to how modern Europeans are not close to the hunter-gatherers of their countries.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Is it possible that we partially descend from these ancient horners or we’re almost entirely from more northerly ancien EAfricans/Proto-nilotes and Proto-ANA ?

Apollo

VIP
Is it possible that we partially descend from these ancient horners or we’re almost entirely from more northerly ancien EAfricans/Proto-nilotes and Proto-ANA ?

I think it is around 8% to 12%. We shall see if my estimate is correct or not. :samwelcome:

Trending