Building a house in the Somali frontier

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
7C1BC630-F515-49B9-A2FB-CE33AB57E39A.jpeg
Some of you might find this interesting. Only have the enclosure done so far but we’re getting there. This is the Western-most Somali town in Northern Somaliweyn by the way, not very far from the Afar triangle, Oromo heartlands & Amxar kilil. Only my sub-sub-sub tribe lives here. Bonus pic of me grazing some camels on the newly expanded Djibouti-Addis railway that runs near the town.

Insha’allah we reach the fertile highlands in time.
:fittytousand:

5035156F-3961-444D-AF9F-253D35DBFD98.jpeg

9C34D0A7-ADDD-4880-ADB6-00C2002C3E1E.jpeg

6BACF6E2-9ACC-4EAB-8996-7B3ABCCD4F47.jpeg

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Did Somali have trains? I had no idea.

This isn’t a “Somali train” per se, it’s a railway that runs through most of Ethiopia stopping at Djibouti, the red line on this map. It’s the line that connects Ethiopia to its sea ports, so it’s pretty important, and sometimes you see federal police making sure it’s not sabotaged.
FF83FB53-B9A8-4032-BCD3-EE910E05BDCD.png

Attachments

• 27465EC9-F782-4C64-A705-AF29E150EB0B.png
    27465EC9-F782-4C64-A705-AF29E150EB0B.png
    525.6 KB · Views: 259
This isn’t a “Somali train” per se, it’s a railway that runs through most of Ethiopia stopping at Djibouti, the red line on this map. It’s the line that connects Ethiopia to its sea ports, so it’s pretty important, and sometimes you see federal police making sure it’s not sabotaged.
View attachment 74983
It also happens to be where all the “ethnic clashes” happen. Even Moyale where they’re trying to make a trade hub, each of these regions there are campaigns to displace the Somalis and have more ‘loyal’ groups like oromos take over.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
It also happens to be where all the “ethnic clashes” happen. Even Moyale where they’re trying to make a trade hub, each of these regions there are campaigns to displace the Somalis and have more ‘loyal’ groups like oromos take over.

That’s true, the Oromo with the help of the local authorities tried to ethnically cleanse us in the early 2000s and pretend we don’t exist during the census, that’s why even today it’s under “Oromia kilil” even though it’s exclusively Somalis who live there. It didn’t go so well for the Oromos though and we actually gained land during their little hissy fit.
:trumpsmirk:

That’s true, the Oromo with the help of the local authorities tried to ethnically cleanse us in the early 2000s and pretend we don’t exist during the census, that’s why even today it’s under “Oromia kilil” even though it’s exclusively Somalis who live there. It didn’t go so well for the Oromos though and we actually gained land during their little hissy fit.
:trumpsmirk:
MashaAllah. It was happening as recent a few months ago when they were attacking all border regions. I remember seeing people from there speaking about it on fb.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
MashaAllah. It was happening as recent a few months ago when they were attacking all border regions. I remember seeing people from there speaking about it on fb.

People from Mieso or Moyale? I was over in Ethiopia just a few months ago and it had been relatively calm towards the Oromo side for almost a year now. If you want to read about the situation though, and not through fb, it’s become a case study in Ethiopia. It’s not 100% accurate on the sequence of events and it paints Somalis as a coalition when my clan and Ciise fight each other just as if not more often than we fight Oromos.

http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/aethiopien/07698.pdf

Scroll down the table of contents until you reach the section section named:
II. The Role of Local Governments in Conflict Management: The Case of Mieso Woreda, by Dereje Seyoum

World

VIP
The reason why Somalis don’t live in the highlands is because camels can not survive there. They die easily. Hence why Somalis did not compete with Oromos for those lands.

But in jubbaland and NFD where the darood expanded, camels can graze and live there. And Oromos were grazing cattle but were at a disadvantage since it weren’t as well watered as the highlands.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
The reason why Somalis don’t live in the highlands is because camels can not survive there. They die easily. Hence why Somalis did not compete with Oromos for those lands.

But in jubbaland and NFD where the darood expanded, camels can graze and live there. And Oromos were grazing cattle but were at a disadvantage since it weren’t as well watered as the highlands.

Camels die in the highlands? First I’ve heard of this. But I can believe it, it’s not an animal suited for the temperate climate of the highlands.

It doesn’t matter though, once we reach the highlands we can easily switch over to being agropastoralists like some of my relatives and Rahanweyn(?) in the south I think. It provides better food security as well.

Camels die in the highlands? First I’ve heard of this. But I can believe it, it’s not an animal suited for the temperate climate of the highlands.

It doesn’t matter though, once we reach the highlands we can easily switch over to being agropastoralists like some of my relatives and Rahanweyn(?) in the south I think. It provides better food security as well.
He’s just making assumptions. Most of the Somalis in those regions are agropastoralists, many swallowed up and incorporated into other ethnic groups sadly.

World

VIP
He’s just making assumptions. Most of the Somalis in those regions are agropastoralists, many swallowed up and incorporated into other ethnic groups sadly.
The people around Jigjiga are agropastoralists, but that’s because their land was being occupied by Oromo peasants after Ethiopian occupation, they did not farm before that. They were forced to or else they would have been kicked off the land.

Last edited:

World

VIP

Camels can survive in many different climates and regions, it’s a very adapt animal. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Somali camel is adapted to semi arid deserts in the lowland. The highlands are too wet, too cold, and have many diseases that the camel is not adapted to. You could probably breed a camel that would survive in the highlands, but why hasn’t anyone then?

The people around Jigjiga are agropastoralists, but that’s because their land was being occupied by Oromo peasants after Ethiopian occupation, they did not farm before that. They were forced to or else they would have been kicked off the land.
That’s all of Hararge

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
Did Somali have trains? I had no idea.

We had one built by the Italians in the 1920s, but after WW2 it was destroyed by the Allied occupying forces, since they feared it would be used by Somali nationalists to transport weapons and people. Barre tried to rebuild it, but was side tracked by the Ogaden war and since then......Well, you know what happened.

Everyone and their mother is armed here :mjlol:
Good. I like to swing first, of course i dont own guns here in crazy maurica, but if I were living in border areas with savages such as oromo and pagan afars, i would arm myself for self defense and strike first at the slightest trouble from them.:manny:

somalis need to adopt this mentality, instead of being sitting ducks and taking a beating maalin walba.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Good. I like to swing first, of course i dont own guns here in crazy maurica, but if I were living in border areas with savages such as oromo and pagan afars, i would arm myself for self defense and strike first at the slightest trouble from them.:manny:

somalis need to adopt this mentality, instead of being sitting ducks and taking a beating maalin walba.

Actually the biggest reason we arm ourselves is because of Ciise that can’t stick to their side. We’re the small Gugundhabe in the Northwest in this map, though we’ve expanded a fair bit since this. Just relatively recently when I was away in 2011 they had a big fight and killed about 200 Ciise, which they’re still mad about and demanding blood money. The Oromos have been subdued since we invaded a town of theirs in 2008. It’s all in the study I posted somewhere in this thread, but where my people live is one of the bloodiest areas in the horn.
97C2910B-4CAE-457F-8C7C-AF61D7DE2442.jpeg

Trending