British Parliamentary Papers on Somalis, during the colonial age.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
A spin of thread of my Ottomon-Arab-Brittish thread.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-4f63d5b2-c40f-4673-a861-a48ef2ca3fa0

Again, if you are going to give gracious favour and protection to one tribe, you have to bombard and kill the others, because, although the fighting is not of a severe character, there are inter-tribal disputes in which a good deal of ammunition is fired off in Somaliland most of the time. There have been these disputes from the earliest times, and I presume there will be so long as tribes exist in that part of the world. We have, we believe, done our very best to fulfil our engagement by putting the Friendlies in a position to defend themselves, but the very people with whom we have made treaties are not always very much concerned with them. The people in the province of Warsangli do not like our protection. In fact it is not a very safe place to go to at any time, and probably not now. With regard to the others who have our gracious favour and protection, Habr-Toljaala, Habr-Gerhajis, and Habr-Awal, they are all behind the lines which the Friendlies now hold. There are few who take part in this combination which is now concentrated on the Mullah's force 140 miles from Burao. I think the House may rest assured there is no breach of obligation. I do not think the late Government would have taken the action they did if there was likely to be any breach of obligation to the friendly tribes, and I can assure the House we have no intention of evading our obligations. What we want is to do what is right in the best interests of the Empire

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Somalia And Kenya NFD DEBATE
02 December 1965

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords...ribution-3f3b1a11-2ba9-4294-80a3-7798bf4bc634

The people came out openly on both sides, some saying that they detested the notion of a secession to the Somali Republic, but the vast majority being in favour of so doing. This result having been proclaimed by one Commission and endorsed by another—the Regional Boundaries Commission—Her Majesty's Government decided that they would not allow the principle of self-determination to apply to this region, but would hand it over to Kenya where these views had already been proclaimed "treason" by Mr. Kenyatta and other Kenya leaders. This is what produced the breach, and this is why I am asking tonight for the few of your Lordships who are here to recognise the injury that the' Somali people everywhere must have felt when this happened, and to do what is now possible to repair the damage.

Mr. Kenyatta, of course, has repeatedly said "Not an inch". What can he say except that? He is pledged to the Emperor who, when Mr. Kenyatta's destinies were still uncertain, pointed to him, publicly handed him a cheque for flood relief, a cheque which would normally have gone through the Ambassador through some other diplomatic channels, to help Kenya in her difficulties in a time of flood. I am not suggesting that this was a bribe. Of course it was not. It was merely the choice of Mr. Kenyatta as the Emperor's messenger, with his gift to Kenya. That was the indication to all that Mr. Kenyatta was the Emperor's choice. How could he now grant facilities for self-determination, even if he wished to do so, without betraying his word to the Emperor? That is the difficulty.

I want to say a few words on this business of the Shifta. What happened after we handed the N.F.D. to Kenya? One of the first things was that the Emperor of Ethiopia began taking taxes from the Ethiopian Somali colony of Ogaden. This resulted in a rebellion, which I followed in the few ways I could from the top of Porlock Hill: from an informed article in the New York Tinley of March 19, 1964, from numerous monitored radio broadcasts from Addis Ababa, and so on. The rebellion was followed by an assault by Ethiopian regular troops across the frontier. That, at least, was the view of the New York Times who cited many other

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Somaliland (Independence) Debate
25 July 1960
Volume 627
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-3a0a12d7-e92e-410d-a1b9-7eeb451e4c97

Mr. R. Allan

The union between Somaliland and Somalia to form the Somali Republic was acclaimed on 1st July and Mr. T. E. Bromley presented his credentials as first British Ambassador to the Republic on that date. The Somali Republic have not yet appointed a diplomatic representative in London.

As regards the second part of the Question, it is impossible to give a precise figure. But we believe that the number of Somalis in the country who, by virtue of the Somaliland Protectorate's attainment of independence, became aliens on 26th June, 1960, is about 1,500.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Somali Seamen in England complaining of unemployment
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-bdb1de61-caf2-4818-8e47-5e8c1fb799f8

Mr. Callaghan

asked the Minister of Labour if he is aware of the growth of unemployment among Somali seamen resident in Great Britain; and what action he is taking to find them employment.

Mr. Iain Macleod

No, Sir, I am not aware of any significant change recently in the number of Somali seamen unemployed. The employment exchange service is doing everything possible to assist those who are seeking work ashore.

Mr. Callaghan

Will the Minister take my word for it that there is a considerable growth of unemployment among these seamen in Cardiff? Is he aware that although these are British seamen registered with the Shipping Federation, British shipowners are flying foreign seamen over here in order to take jobs that the Somali seamen could otherwise occupy? Will he take this matter up with British shipowners and see that this problem does not become more serious?

Mr. Macleod

I should be very glad to do that. In view of the Question, I did not neglect the precaution of checking the figures for Somali seamen in Cardiff. I am told—from the investigations made there—that there is no increase in the number of Somali seamen unemployed there, and, with the exception of Liverpool, that is the general position in respect of all the ports of which I have been able to take a spot check. But I will take note of what the hon. Member has said.

Mr. Callaghan

I am extremely surprised to hear that, because I was in contact with the appropriate authorities only last Saturday, and they gave me an entirely different picture.

Mr. Macleod

Perhaps I have been in contact with them even more recently than that. I will send the hon. Gentleman the figures I have, and he can compare them with his.

Mr. Page

Can my right hon. Friend confirm that there is an increase in unemployment of Somali seamen in Liverpool?

Mr. Macleod

That is what I said.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Somaliland: Attack On Camel Corps
13 August 1913
Volume 56

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-f685862f-3f08-4529-96b1-6f0430abd8be

Mr. BONAR LAW

May I ask the Colonial Secretary if he has any further information in regard to Somaliland?

Mr. HARCOURT

Yes, I have received two telegrams this morning. The first is, from the Acting Administrator at Berbera:—

"August 12, Berbera.—Three hundred troops arrived this morning from Aden. At Berbera all is quiet.— POWELL."The second telegram is as follows:—"August 12, Sheikh.—I have withdrawn from Burao in good order, and arrived at Sheikh with all wounded (twenty-two altogether), Government stores and rations.Burao traders and others were given twenty-four hours' notice to quit before the main party left.The Indian contingent, 130 strong, with one officer and Maxim and stores, arrived here at mid-day. In addition I have twenty men with me here. I will decide later, in consultation with Summers and Kingdon, whether it is necessary to order one of the companies on their arrival from Aden to strengthen this fort.Sheikh Fort is in good repair. Signalling communication will be established as soon as possible with Berbera. The senior medical officer is on the spot.Summers is progressing favourably, and is in no danger.The Dervishes have driven off practically all the stock of the following tribes: Habr Yunis, Musa Ismail, Dolvahanta, Barkat, Rer Haggar, and Khalid, Habr Togudla, and Rer Yusuf. This must inevitably cause almost unprecedented destitution among the Friendlies.The situation generally, however, is well in hand, and there is no cause for alarm or any further emergency measures.—ARCHER."

Mr. DILLON

May I ask the right hon. Gentleman whether he can give the House an assurance that there will be no forward movement of the punitive expedition until the House has an opportunity of discussing this matter?

Mr. HARCOURT

It is contrary to the whole policy of the British Government to do more than occupy the coast and a small radius from the coast of Somaliland.

Mr. D I LLON

How, then, did the Camel Corps come to be a hundred miles from the coast?

Mr. HARCOURT

I am totally unable to say why the Corps was at Idoweina until I get further information.

Colonel YATE

Will the right hon. Gentleman take the necessary steps to protect the Friendlies who have come to our assistance?

Mr. HARCOURT

Yes; all necessary steps will be taken.