British explorer about somalia

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Stars

This English man seems not a reliable oberservanist . He seems to admire the Arabs leaningly, I have a feeling he was not fair to Somalis in this observations. But truths are truths, his words and observations are very valuable.

World

VIP
I believe most of his colleagues were killed by Somalis and he barely escaped with his life, and was speared in the face. So that’s why he hates Somalis.

Stars

This English man seems not a reliable oberservanist . He seems to admire the Arabs leaningly, I have a feeling he was not fair to Somalis in this observations. But truths are truths, his words and observations are very valuable.
I see what you did there:deadrose:
I believe most of his colleagues were killed by Somalis and he barely escaped with his life, and was speared in the face. So that’s why he hates Somalis.
Majority of what he wrote is what somalis told him:dead:
Hard to blame him for being honest he rarely gave his opinion on the book:dead:

NAAFO

VALOR MORGHULIS
"In character, the Eesa are childish and docile, cunning, and deficient in judgment, kind and
fickle, good-humoured and irascible, warm-hearted, and infamous for cruelty and treachery"

This description has had me scared sh!tless. Because It fits like a cute button the Somali man and woman persona! The "cunning" part hiding in all those none suspecting innocent adjectives had me scared.

@Basra Instead of listening to this orientalist propaganda you should read and listen to Gerard Hanley's Warriors Life and Death among the Somali's this man was a colonial officer that professed his admiration, love, for all the attributes that make a somali the pride, resilience, loyalty, etc and the famed somali valour especially in the face of danger including the cunning of somali's

Somalia is one of the world's most desolate, sun-scorched lands, inhabited by fierce and independent-minded tribesmen. It was here that Gerald Hanley spent the Second World War, charged with preventing bloodshed between feuding tribes at a remote out-station. Rations were scarce, pay infrequent and his detachment of native soldiers near-mutinous.
In these extreme conditions seven British officers committed suicide, but Hanley describes the period as the 'most valuable time' of his life. With intense curiosity and open-mindedness, he explores the effects of loneliness. He comes to understand the Somalis' love of fighting and to admire their contempt for death. 'Of all the races of Africa,' he says, 'there cannot be one better to live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest: the Somalis.'

which are his words

So maantaaydtha iyo malabqayga don't give heed to racist vile propaganda

World

VIP
I see what you did there:deadrose:

Majority of what he wrote is what somalis told him:dead:
Hard to blame him for being honest he rarely gave his opinion on the book:dead:
The only thing I agree with him is what he said about the gadabursi

It’s true that were weak and non martial people. He even insulted their horses and their horsemanship. Then he praised dhulbahante because we have much better horses and were a strong formidable cavalry army.

@sared

@saredochani10 walaal I don't understand you said you wanted books on somalia that were fair, balanced, respectful basically objective and that's what Gerard Hanley's book is, I don't understand what more you could seek in a literary contribution also from my recollection not many somali's are actually aware of his book. Why would you find richard burton's book a known anti somali racist to be preferable than a man who professed his love for somali's and their way of life as I said Gerard's book will make you so proud to be somali its incredibly uplifting to hear this from this man who has no ulterior motives nor agenda's but genuine respect and love, is amazing and reaffirming wallahi. please give it a try you won't regret orientalist and their offensive propaganda isn't worth it.

I mean I already know about his work. I want to read from different sources as well.

The only thing I agree with him is what he said about the gadabursi

It’s true that were weak and non martial people. He even insulted their horses and their horsemanship. Then he praised dhulbahante because we have much better horses and were a strong formidable cavalry army.
You just added that on they weren't weaker than there average neighbors although I read the cisse madoobe group who surprisingly are said to be the best fighters without horses:ehh:
Your confusing this guy called swayne to the guy the thread is about who's called burton his partner was called speke(he was the one who met dhulos)
Burton never went into details about fighting capability. His opinion of gudabirsi had more broad opinion that had nothing to do with fighting.
Also Kind of stretch to use mohamud garad as measuring stick even other dhulos were :whoa: in the books and cavalry was nearly always them.

Last edited:
@saredochani10 Have you tried Ibn Battuta's account of the somali sultanates as well as Zheng He the notable chinese muslim admiral their accounts are worth a read
I don't recall Ibn Battuta stating anything worthy about Somalia. Apart from talking about the richness of Muqdisho, the fabrics and rich traders at the coast he said that the people were fat lol.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Dear God How will our Eesa and Gadabursi brothers ever recover

16892898.jpg

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra Instead of listening to this orientalist propaganda you should read and listen to Gerard Hanley's Warriors Life and Death among the Somali's this man was a colonial officer that professed his admiration, love, for all the attributes that make a somali the pride, resilience, loyalty, etc and the famed somali valour especially in the face of danger including the cunning of somali's

Somalia is one of the world's most desolate, sun-scorched lands, inhabited by fierce and independent-minded tribesmen. It was here that Gerald Hanley spent the Second World War, charged with preventing bloodshed between feuding tribes at a remote out-station. Rations were scarce, pay infrequent and his detachment of native soldiers near-mutinous.
In these extreme conditions seven British officers committed suicide, but Hanley describes the period as the 'most valuable time' of his life. With intense curiosity and open-mindedness, he explores the effects of loneliness. He comes to understand the Somalis' love of fighting and to admire their contempt for death. 'Of all the races of Africa,' he says, 'there cannot be one better to live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest: the Somalis.'

which are his words

So maantaaydtha iyo malabqayga don't give heed to racist vile propaganda

Interesting NAAFO, thanks for the share. Well what he said about Somalis are true and characteristic. But huuno, always dont just drink coolaid. I like to hear from the haters and the praise-ers and then filter in between. The truth lies in btw there.

Both the English White hater and the Admirer White agreed Somalis are "Cunning" and that is the truth I hanged on when I processed them earlier in my head. It left me scared of the Somali eyes. Dont judge by the book with Somalis, they might sneak with Inaa adeers and come around your neck and slaughter u, and drink your blood.

What caught my attention from the paragraph u posted is "seven British Officers committed suicide" from the sahara deathly environment that is Somali? Inaa lilaah waa ina ilaahi rajiiuun

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Also....NAAFO the hater English man was describing the Gardubisi and The Essas, who are exclusively Djiboutian native qabils, they seemed Savages yet they do hold some characteristics of the Somalis.

Your English man is describing the real Somalis, ie Darawaiish….who have Sultanates and are more civilized .

Essas and Gadubirsi technically are Djiboutians & not Somalis

@Starscream @angelplan @saredochani10 @Steamdevolopment @Waaqo of Punt

Last edited:
I don't recall Ibn Battuta stating anything worthy about Somalia. Apart from talking about the richness of Muqdisho, the fabrics and rich traders at the coast he said that the people were fat lol.

It's still info on how the somalis lived in the 14th century. The problem is that somalis did not write anything because everything was orally transmitted ( or maybe I'm mistaken and they did). So we have to rely on ajnabis who travelled there.

Trending

Latest posts