British explorer about somalia

I am creating my own library with only books about somalis and one somali guy recommended Richard Burton. Are you serious. The guy has slandered the somalis. I don't know if the somalis in the 19th century trolled him but some parts are intense.
Also an american was bragging about how they should have read it before going to somalia !! I wanted to know your opinion on it. The book is hard to read but I'm halfway through.

Example of what he says :

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I just did a little resume. Obviously the guy is biased since he's white and they considered any other race inferior in the 19th century. There is a need for somali studies and unbiased anthropologist. I can't see that happening in the futur unfortunately as it's not a priority in somalia. Imagine if we dig all the things we could discover if after the war we focused on somali history.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
You're correct in that Burton was anti-Somali and I never read anything positive he's written about the Gadabursi, in particular. I would take what they say with a grain of salt and a skeptical eye. It's always best to read the angel these authors are coming from and the tribal biases they themselves have (particularly from the vantage point of their translators/key informants). Rarely do they take an ethnographic methodology triangulated with multiple or opposing perspectives. I guess some of this stuff is helpful as it gives us a bit of insight about the 19th C. If you are interested in further resources on Somali history I know someone with access.

:samwelcome:

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Knowles said:
tenor.gif

giphy.gif
:russ:

NAAFO

VALOR MORGHULIS
I am creating my own library with only books about somalis and one somali guy recommended Richard Burton. Are you serious. The guy has slandered the somalis. I don't know if the somalis in the 19th century trolled him but some parts are intense.
Also an american was bragging about how they should have read it before going to somalia !! I wanted to know your opinion on it. The book is hard to read but I'm halfway through.

Example of what he says :

I just did a little resume. Obviously the guy is biased since he's white and they considered any other race inferior in the 19th century. There is a need for somali studies and unbiased anthropologist. I can't see that happening in the futur unfortunately as it's not a priority in somalia. Imagine if we dig all the things we could discover if after the war we focused on somali history.

@Crow @sophisticate @saredochani10 You should really read Gerard Hanley's Warriors Life and Death among the Somali's wallahi this book will make you so proud to be a somali to hear this british colonial officer and his admiration or dare I say his love and overall respect for all the attributes that make a somali the pride, resilence, and most importantly the famed somali valour as well as a unhealthy predisposition towerds seeking retribution "2 legit to quit" or as I call it the "get rich or die tryin" mentality

Somalia is one of the world's most desolate, sun-scorched lands, inhabited by fierce and independent-minded tribesmen. It was here that Gerald Hanley spent the Second World War, charged with preventing bloodshed between feuding tribes at a remote out-station. Rations were scarce, pay infrequent and his detachment of native soldiers near-mutinous.
In these extreme conditions seven British officers committed suicide, but Hanley describes the period as the 'most valuable time' of his life. With intense curiosity and open-mindedness, he explores the effects of loneliness. He comes to understand the Somalis' love of fighting and to admire their contempt for death. 'Of all the races of Africa,' he says, 'there cannot be one better to live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest: the Somalis.'

The second book is The East Africa Protectorate by charles eliot where he concedes that we're the most intelligent, cunning, ruthless africans and he states that if their is one thing that the white man can't abide is a black man that thinks himself equally intelligent or superior to the white man basically a black man that isn't meek or docile and advises to not incur the wrath of the somali.

@Crow @sophisticate @saredochani10 You should really read Gerard Hanley's Warriors Life and Death among the Somali's wallahi this book will make you so proud to be a somali to hear this british colonial officer and his admiration or dare I say his love and overall respect for all the attributes that make a somali the pride, resilence, and most importantly the famed somali valour as well as a unhealthy predisposition towerds seeking retribution "2 legit to quit" or as I call it the "get rich or die tryin" mentality

Somalia is one of the world's most desolate, sun-scorched lands, inhabited by fierce and independent-minded tribesmen. It was here that Gerald Hanley spent the Second World War, charged with preventing bloodshed between feuding tribes at a remote out-station. Rations were scarce, pay infrequent and his detachment of native soldiers near-mutinous.
In these extreme conditions seven British officers committed suicide, but Hanley describes the period as the 'most valuable time' of his life. With intense curiosity and open-mindedness, he explores the effects of loneliness. He comes to understand the Somalis' love of fighting and to admire their contempt for death. 'Of all the races of Africa,' he says, 'there cannot be one better to live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest: the Somalis.'

The second book is The East Africa Protectorate by charles eliot where he concedes that we're the most intelligent, cunning, ruthless africans and he states that if their is one thing that the white man can't abide is a black man that thinks himself equally intelligent or superior to the white man basically a black man that isn't meek or docile and advises to not incur the wrath of the somali.

Those are the only reference Somalis talk about. I wanted to search for more.

You're correct in that Burton was anti-Somali and I never read anything positive he's written about the Gadabursi, in particular. I would take what they say with a grain of salt and a skeptical eye. It's always best to read the angel these authors are coming from and the tribal biases they themselves have (particularly from the vantage point of their translators/key informants). Rarely do they take an ethnographic methodology triangulated with multiple or opposing perspectives. I guess some of this stuff is helpful as it gives us a bit of insight about the 19th C. If you are interested in further resources on Somali history I know someone with access.

Yes I am interested!

As subjects they offer a favourable contrast to their kindred, the Arabs of El Yemen, a race untameable as the wolf, and which, subjugated in turn by Abyssinian, Persian, Egyptian, and Turk, has ever preserved an indomitable spirit of freedom
It's true Ethiopians did colonize yemen and went as far as Southern Saudi Arabia. Theres accounts of an ethiopian general called abraha that dominated the quraysh and built a cathedral in San'a' (yemen) known as 'al-Qullays' to rival the Kaaba in Mecca and specifically came with his forces of elephants to destroy the Kaaba (the elephant part is probably skewed)

In muscular strength and endurance the women of the Somal are far superior to their lords. As a general rule Somali women prefer amourettes with strangers, like the Kafirs, they are very prolific, but peculiarly bad mothers, neither loved nor respected by their children.
:ohhh: :mjcry:I have no words.

The rest is him bashing Somalis on all levels
:kanyeshrug:

It may be biased but it's def based on truths.

It's true Ethiopians did colonize yemen and went as far as Southern Saudi Arabia. Theres accounts of an ethiopian general called abraha that dominated the quraysh and built a cathedral in San'a' (yemen) known as 'al-Qullays' to rival the Kaaba in Mecca and specifically came with his forces of elephants to destroy the Kaaba (the elephant part is probably skewed)

:ohhh: :mjcry:I have no words.

The rest is him bashing Somalis on all levels
:kanyeshrug:

It may be biased but it's def based on truths.

My uni has some articles about his trip to Somalia and criticism. I will try to read them.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Who does the English man mean by "Essa"??? Which qabil?

Dude definitely was going in:pachah1:
Probably one of my favorite explorers
:pachah1:
So Somali men are lazy and weak? And the women are far superior :drakelaugh:
Speak for yourself His partner said this when he met me
55d760a494a797f1a5ccd8f158b9f8a8.png

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
:yacadiim:
Pretty sure he's referring to the Issa, sub division of the Dir clan, in Ethiopia, afar region and Djiobuti.

They also claim to have the same descent/heritage as the Gadabursi.

Interesting, so he really was exposed to Gadubirsi and Dir people. Maybe he was in the outskirts of Djibouti and not inland Somalia?

Lets not hate on the English man, he observed some facts. Somali men are bodily weak and jileec. Somali women are lioness and masculine.

But the Somali women hated by their sons/children is a new observations.

Interesting, so he really was exposed to Gadubirsi and Dir people. Maybe he was in the outskirts of Djibouti and not inland Somalia?

Lets not hate on the English man, he observed some facts. Somali men are bodily weak and jileec. Somali women are lioness and masculine.

But the Somali women hated by their sons/children is a new observations.
If you think that's bad you should see what he said about your folks:cryinglaughsmiley:

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
"In character, the Eesa are childish and docile, cunning, and deficient in judgment, kind and
fickle, good-humoured and irascible, warm-hearted, and infamous for cruelty and treachery"

This description has had me scared sh!tless. Because It fits like a cute button the Somali man and woman persona! The "cunning" part hiding in all those none suspecting innocent adjectives had me scared.

NAAFO

VALOR MORGHULIS

@sared

@saredochani10 walaal I don't understand you said you wanted books on somalia that were fair, balanced, respectful basically objective and that's what Gerard Hanley's book is, I don't understand what more you could seek in a literary contribution also from my recollection not many somali's are actually aware of his book. Why would you find richard burton's book a known anti somali racist to be preferable than a man who professed his love for somali's and their way of life as I said Gerard's book will make you so proud to be somali its incredibly uplifting to hear this from this man who has no ulterior motives nor agenda's but genuine respect and love, is amazing and reaffirming wallahi. please give it a try you won't regret orientalist and their offensive propaganda isn't worth it.

Trending