Biggest shame of somalis in UAE

There's two reasons why UAE bans Somalis working as maid. One reason is because Somalia is a part of the Arab League and the other reason is out of safety for the employer.

Somali women aren't meek and submissive like the Ethiopian and Filipino maids. Emiratis know Somalis are strong fighters. Somali women would literally stab their Arab employer if they mistreat her. Also, a Somali woman will see herself as equal to her Emirati female employer and there will be a dangerous, even fatal, power struggle.

Also, it's usually the desperate impoverished women from the Xamar/Jubaland regions that work as maids in the the Gulf.

Prettymuslim94

A man trying to be successful
So here's the thing, in UAE somalis are not allowed to work as housemaids. You legally can not work as a housemaid in UAE if you're somali. Its the same for arabs. People who work those jobs are indonesians, ethopians , filipinos, and other west africans and south east asians. What happens to these workers is that they are like slaves basically. They work long hours without rest cleaning a huge ass house, cleaning tons of dishes, taking care of kids etc. Its said that the houseowners cant even stand seeing a maid rest, and would give her a job. They are also tortured, mostly filipinos. There are horrific stories out there, from getting burned, to making the maids naked then dipping them in ICE while blasting AC full on. Not to mention the beatings. Now this is the reality of a maid in UAE.

Somali women are migrating there illegally and sometimes legally to work those maid jobs that they are not even allowed to work. Whats worse is somalis are getting hired by people who dont want to pay the high salary of getting a southeast asian maid legally. So they get paid less to do much worse. A lot of them get caught and deported for working as maids. They still degrade themselves by doing it. These guys even decided to get rid of the privileges by asking our government to negotiate with UAE to make working as maids legal for somalis. Why are somalis doing this to themselves? Is the poverty back in the country that bad? Where is our pride?

We need to stop our image from getting worse.
I have no words

Is the poverty back in the country that bad? Where is our pride?
Ridiculous. There's nothing to be prideful for when you have nothing. Just because you grew up pampered and well-fed, doesn't mean other Somalis, especially the ones back home, are. Those doing low-paid or dangerous jobs should not be looked down upon.If you want the Somali "image" to look better, get up and go help those in Somalia, instead of shaming them for being poor.

If it's illegal for Somalis to work as maids in the UAE and are considered to be like Arabs, why aren't they given the same benefits and treatment as Arabs? Why aren't these poor Somali Arab maids taken care of and given better jobs, treatment and respect? They don't give two fucks.

Well said, even arabs I know personally in the west are image and status obssessed. They attach to you when youre doing well and discard you when you hit rough times.

But then again I have family in the UAE and theyre treated like kangs, I want to move there.
It is tempting to just buy a cheap mansion in an Emirate like Sharjah or Ajman, and get 4 wives, and pay 0 income tax.

If they had decent retirement/citizenship laws, I'd live there permanently, but alas, the West is the only place that actually upholds your rights.

It is tempting to just buy a cheap mansion in an Emirate like Sharjah or Ajman, and get 4 wives, and pay 0 income tax.

If they had decent retirement/citizenship laws, I'd live there permanently, but alas, the West is the only place that actually upholds your rights.
I'm not thinking about permanent settle, I'll just do what cadaans do. Make stupid money in the gulf and buy a few houses in the UK.

I'm not thinking about permanent settle, I'll just do what cadaans do. Make stupid money in the gulf and buy a few houses in the UK.

It's really hard to make "stupid" money in the gulf lol. You might be better off in other western countries. Good luck.

Ridiculous. There's nothing to be prideful for when you have nothing. Just because you grew up pampered and well-fed, doesn't mean other Somalis, especially the ones back home, are. Those doing low-paid or dangerous jobs should not be looked down upon.If you want the Somali "image" to look better, get up and go help those in Somalia, instead of shaming them for being poor.

If it's illegal for Somalis to work as maids in the UAE and are considered to be like Arabs, why aren't they given the same benefits and treatment as Arabs? Why aren't these poor Somali Arab maids taken care of and given better jobs, treatment and respect? They don't give two fucks.

First of all i'm not looking down on anyone. This is a real issue I brought up which we could discuss, and to give some people here an idea of what some somalis are doing in UAE. The more you know about the struggles your people are facing, the more you want to do something about it. I bet most somalis living in the west have no idea about this maid issue even.

Second, somalis should have some self-respect. Like I said, most of the people who come here are living normal lives in Somalia. They are not starving. Few really poor come here to work as maids. If you're living a normal life in Somalia why would you come here illegally, to work a degrading job you're not even allowed to work. It costs money to come to UAE, surely that money could be used in better ways. But, that isn't why I asked where is the pride question. All of this is going on, fine. But you can't ask your government to have talks with the UAE government to allow somalis to be treated like slaves. That's why they should have some self-respect.

"If it's illegal for Somalis to work as maids in the UAE and are considered to be like Arabs, why aren't they given the same benefits and treatment as Arabs?" i already said they are given the same treatments and benefits. Not being allowed to work as maids is one of them.

"Why aren't these poor Somali Arab maids taken care of and given better jobs, treatment and respect? They don't give two fucks." Treatment and respect is not lacking. I already told you they are the same as any other arab. And are treated well. UAE government doesn't "take care" of anyone except emirates. Not even arabs. This is not the west, there is no unemployment fee and stuff like that. Not to mention, half of them aren't even known to the authorities because they came illegally to the country. If someone comes to the UAE illegally and gets caught they are deported with no hope of ever coming back again. Despite that, a lot of times somalis are specifically told if they came here illegally, they can leave the country with no consequences to them. Doesn't happen to anyone else. What better treatment do you need?

Same here. Where did you live ?

the Emiratis treat anyone non Emirati like shit esp the Indians.

I didn’t like how they had the whole superiority complex going :francis:

I enjoyed my time in Oman alot more

A lot of Somalis have UAE citizenship there

I live here in dubai i have a housemaid stop spreading lies and hate.

She's from Uganda and we treat her great.

But having a housemaid is difficult therez alot involved trust of the family to this person who you trust with your small babies and your house. Am not denying some bosses are evil but so can maids be evil...

Somalis dont do maid jobs if they do its for somali families ps nobody wants a somali maid they're lazy and careless. Philipino etc work hard and are loyal.

Somalis have too much pride and kibir too clean after someone even if they're dirt poor.

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
A lot of Somalis have UAE citizenship there
Not really..

most of my family there rejected in getting the citizenship the 70s cause somalia was better at the time and now it’s really hard to get citizenship unless you get sponsored or recommended By a royal member I think.

most Somalis in UAE don’t have citizenship so they are stuck in a limbo. Maybe things have changed now? I haven’t been there in awhile

No, they don't, citizenship is nearly impossible to get there. My family has been there since the 1990s and we haven't gotten shit.

Most Somali's in the UAE have Western passports

I personally know of one Somali family that has UAE citizenship. It's usually Isaaqs because they they're the ones who used go trade with the Arabs back in the day. A lot of Isaaqs migrated to the Gulf in the 60's and 70's. There's not a whole lot of them, but there's still a good amount of them though that have UAE passports.

Not really..

most of my family there rejected in getting the citizenship the 70s cause somalia was better at the time and now it’s really hard to get citizenship unless you get sponsored or recommended By a royal member I think.

most Somalis in UAE don’t have citizenship so they are stuck in a limbo. Maybe things have changed now? I haven’t been there in awhile

There's actually a lot of Somalis all over the Khaleej that have the citizenship. I personally know some with UAE, Saudi and Qatari citizeships. They're all living like kings and queens wallahi.
They assimilate extremely well into the gulf arab culture and abandon their somali identity.

Trending

Latest posts