At what point did it become unlikely for Somalia to beat the Ethiopia in an all out war...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffin Stuff

Cheating death in berbera
I've read some history books and am really intrested in the geo-political conflicts of these two nations

I myself believe a united somali lost the ability to crush Ethiopia when somaliland declared or considered herself independent is when the somali nation cease to be strong enough to beat ethiopia in a all out war

The moment the Soviets and got involved in the Ogaden war.
The Soviets/Cubans summarily defeated the Somalis, wich weakened and divided the morally crushed armies. This led to coup attempts and rebels in Somalia, while Ethiopia was consolidating power and rebuilding with the help of their Allie's. Then in 1991 Somalia went into a full blown civil-war which hammered the last nail in the coffin.

Siad Barre made multiple strategic blunders.
1st one being, he shouldn't've gotten passed Somali cities. Nigga was trying to over throw the communist derg and replace them with puppets.

2nd, he should've waited out the Ethiopians civilwar, he interred the war directly only 4 years on. If Siad Barre interred the war after the communist derg was over thrown in the late 80's, then Ethiopia would've been much weaker and more exhausted of the civil war, and the Soviets wouldn't have cared to get involved because the communist derg wouldn't've been in power, plus the Soviet Union itself would've collapsed a couple of years after that.

3rd, he shouldn't have isolated his generals, he was a strong man and a chauvinist which tainted his judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts