Arranged marriage & honor killing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garaad Darawiish

Astra incliant sed non obligant
For first time cousin marriage, the risk is very low. I've given you the receipt. Where's yours?

I only found one study that says the chances of birth defects is doubled with cousin marriage. Guess what that study is about? Study on Pakistani marriages. It's literally part of their culture to marry cousins. Whatever person they did a study on, their parents are probably cousins.

That study is worthless for us Somalis.

Yes, we have close extended family but we're still Muslims. We don't interact with opposite genders of our extended family much. Unlike Pakistanis who do relative visits almost daily and they still do cousin marriages. They don't often respect the non-mahram rule
There is always the risk though. Most somali parents set their sons/daughters up with their cousins. So the study isnt necessarily confined to pakistanis but anyone.

For first time cousin marriage, the risk is very low. I've given you the receipt. Where's yours?

I only found one study that says the chances of birth defects is doubled with cousin marriage. Guess what that study is about? Study on Pakistani marriages. It's literally part of their culture to marry cousins. Whatever person they did a study on, their parents are probably cousins.

That study is worthless for us Somalis.

Yes, we have close extended family but we're still Muslims. We don't interact with opposite genders of our extended family much. Unlike Pakistanis who do relative visits almost daily and they still do cousin marriages. They don't often respect the non-mahram rule

What you are saying is correct genetically. However your way of thinking is dangerous, It's evolutionarily advantageous for us to keep cousin marriages as a taboo. Once the taboo is gone, more and more people will marry their cousins leading to more genetic diseases. This will only lead us to become the next Pakistan, the xoolo who "punished" a rapist by having his sister raped by the victims brother, while the council of elders watched. This type of retarded thinking only comes from generation upon generation of cousin marriages producing braindead vegetables, which come up with these type of rulings.

Malcolm X

The price of freedom is death
What you are saying is correct genetically. However your way of thinking is dangerous, It's evolutionarily advantageous for us to keep cousin marriages as a taboo. Once the taboo is gone, more and more people will marry their cousins leading to more genetic diseases. This will only lead us to become the next Pakistan, the xoolo who "punished" a rapist by having his sister raped by the victims brother, while the council of elders watched. This type of retarded thinking only comes from generation upon generation of cousin marriages producing braindead vegetables, which come up with these type of rulings.
Entire world used to allow cousin marriages and it wasn't taboo. Cousin marriage rate was low. It was viewed as a final/last resort just like we do now.

There was no danger of making it a mandatory. We survived thousands of years this way.

We aren't dumb enough to integrate this into our culture.

Benjamin

någon :)
Entire world used to allow cousin marriages and it wasn't taboo. Cousin marriage rate was low. It was viewed as a final/last resort just like we do now.

There was no danger of making it a mandatory. We survived thousands of years this way.

We aren't dumb enough to integrate this into our culture.

Stop trying to defend a backward practice, it doesn't make it moral.

Malcolm X

Stop trying to defend a backward practice, it doesn't make it moral.
The backward practice who Prophet Muhammad himself participated in? He married a cousin.

Just because cadaans told you it's backward practice doesn't make it so.

Benjamin

The backward practice who Prophet Muhammad himself participated in? He married a cousin.

Just because cadaans told you it's backward practice doesn't make it so.

I didn't know that, but it doesn't change the fact that it's disgusting. And cadaans didn't tell me, every person with brain know that it's wrong & backward.

Gojo Satoru

Staff Member
@MalcolmX
Why are you trying to defend cousin marriages? Biologically speaking it's beneficial when you mate with someone that's far away from your gene pool.

Malcolm X

@MalcolmX
Why are you trying to defend cousin marriages? Biologically speaking it's beneficial when you mate with someone that's far away from your gene pool.
What I'm saying is that, it's not bad to have a cousin marriage.

Of course, non-cousin marriages are better and you should seek for it.

It's not end of the world if you cousin-marry.

Malcolm X

I didn't know that, but it doesn't change the fact that it's disgusting. And cadaans didn't tell me, every person with brain know that it's wrong & backward.
You were raised in cadaan culture. You only know what is right and wrong from that culture and other cultures you were also raised in.

Morality depends on the culture.

I find raw meat disgusting and occasionally tease Ethiopians for it. It doesn't mean they're wrong. It's just their culture.

Most ex-Muslims I know wouldn't eat pork meat even they don't believe in Islam any more. They were raised thinking it's disgusting. They wouldn't even dare to touch the meat.

Prophet Muhammad didn't think cousin marriages were wrong or backward. He advised that we should seek marriages from other tribes.

This is the view we should hold for it is sunnah.

Benjamin

You were raised in cadaan culture. You only know what is right and wrong from that culture and other cultures you were also raised in.

I find raw meat disgusting and occasionally tease Ethiopians for it. It doesn't mean they're wrong. It's just their culture.

Most ex-Muslims I know wouldn't eat pork meat even they don't believe in Islam any more. They were raised thinking it's disgusting. They wouldn't even dare to touch the meat.

Prophet Muhammad didn't think cousin marriages were wrong or backward. He advised that we should seek marriages from other tribes.

So you're judging me by my name? I have been raised between two cultures m8, & I have met different people who have this opinion.
Just because you think it normal doesn't make it normal or morally. We all know it's disgusting, & we don't have to agree with each other. It's OK to have different opinion.

Malcolm X

So you're judging me by my name? I have been raised between two cultures m8, & I have met different people who have this opinion.
Just because you think it normal doesn't make it normal or morally. We all know it's disgusting, & we don't have to agree with each other. It's OK to have different opinion.
I only brought up the culture because you apparently said all people think it's disgusting.

The fact is, morality and normality depends on culture.

You absolutely have no right to claim that all people think like you do.

Benjamin

I only brought up the culture because you apparently said all people think it's disgusting.

The fact is, morality and normality depends on culture.

You absolutely have no right to claim that all people think like you do.

Most people with a functioning brain do. :axvmm9o:

With arrange marriage assuming the Somali model not the forced Desi model, is the greatest thing for both the males and females as well as the wider society.

The reasons for this is because the average male/female are too obtuse and thick to know what's best for them never mind be able to dissect the suitability of a partner, they pick based on flimsy emotions and mere whims hence the record divorce rates we see today and all the subsequent broken homes.

But when the above tradition was followed the majority of those households stood firm because no one knows your better then your own parents whom want what's best for you and they also have far greater wisdom in 99% of the cases then yourself.

The proofs are in the pudding here, when you leave a thick/average or even a slightly above average (male/female) to make their own choices, what happens is that the majority of them simply make very bad ones that affect the wider society as we see today.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe

Ok. cadaan culture aside, do you accept that wide spread cousin marriage in a country brings many genetic problems and should be avoided?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Cousin marriage is not advantageous. Gone are the days of Cain and Abel. Now you have options. :mybusiness: Also, some of us grew up with cousins and even family friends (that are unrelated Somalis) of the opposite sex and we'd rather commit a samurai death than entertain the thought.:wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending