Are somalis a combination of different groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered about this. we all have some features that can be considered "somali" but a lot of the other cushitic groups in the horn and even in the rest of east africa share this. is it possible that we all absorbed multiple tribes that still exist today and a lot more that went extinct? i honestly dont think were a homogenous group that share the same bloodline.

also do we as an ethnic group number MORE then ethiopian groups? i think the oromo might be the only ones close to outnumbering us. but their gypsies so.......

is that qabil thing somewhat correct? not in that we descend from horny yemenites that stubbled upon somalia and decided "well, let me impregnate a couple skinnies and birth a entire ethnic group". but in that, each tribe might have been a seprate group of people that started mixing or integrated within other cushitic groups, and with time became a group of their own (still divided along "tribal" lines and born with stories that were saltbae sprinkled with alternative muslamic truths overtime).

Last edited:

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
I've always wondered about this. we all have some features that can be considered "somali" but a lot of the other cushitic groups in the horn and even in the rest of east africa share this. is it possible that we all absorbed multiple tribes that still exist today and a lot more that went extinct? i honestly dont think were a homogenous group that share the same bloodline.

also do we as an ethnic group number MORE then ethiopian groups? i think the oromo might be the only ones close to outnumbering us. but their gypsies so.......

is that qabil thing somewhat correct? not in that we depend from horny yemenites that stubbled upon somalia and decided "well, let me impregnate a couple skinnies and birth a entire ethnic group". but in that, each tribe might have been a seprate group of people that started mixing or integrated within other cushitic groups, and with time became a group of their own (still divided along "tribal" lines and born with stories that were saltbae sprinkled with alternative muslamic truths overtime).

No.

We are a relatively homogeneous group that are closely related to the Oromo people.

is that qabil thing somewhat correct? not in that we depend from horny yemenites that stubbled upon somalia and decided "well, let me impregnate a couple skinnies and birth a entire ethnic group". but in that, each tribe might have been a seprate group of people that started mixing or integrated within other cushitic groups, and with time became a group of their own (still divided along "tribal" lines and born with stories that were saltbae sprinkled with alternative muslamic truths overtime).
You need to take the jamaacatu DNa Suugo science course .

No. Most Somalis carry one haplogroup and the remaining 15% carry another. That's crazy homogeneous.

We're the most homogeneous in the East and North Africa, if not all of Africa. The Oromo are heterogeneous, which means they have many different lineages. We have none of their except one, E-V32 aka Hamitic lineage.

You're giving your uneducated pure guess.

Holding a PhD in Somali Ancestry Studies, the short answer is no.
how do you explain somalis looking extremely different to each other? some looking bantu adjacent, some looking yemeni adjacent, some looking like a habash, some having very stereotypically somali faces but with a inbred twist.

No, genetic studies have shown that we are in fact one people and share a same common origin. This is supported by Somali oral history, culture, tradition, and so forth. Although Qabil is a myth, it's based off family ties, hence why almost all Somalis can trace their ancestry to brothers, Sab and Samaale.
______
Source:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3148.2006.00694_52.x/abstract

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
how do you explain somalis looking extremely different to each other? some looking bantu adjacent, some looking yemeni adjacent, some looking like a habash, some having very stereotypically somali faces but with a inbred twist.
Because Bantus arent somali, By nationality yes but they aren't Somali
Next Yemeni looking somalis are the mixed ones from when the arabs came to somalia
Basically xamar cad cad
And many habashi looking somalis are not somalis, same like bantu they have been in Somalia a long time but they are not our people

Apollo

VIP

I knew that was the main thing that sparked this thread and it was answered above (post #8).

A group with the same origin can have individuals that look rather different. Using Ireland as an example, they have blond, red, and black haired individuals all with the exact same origin.

Because Bantus arent somali, By nationality yes but they aren't Somali
Next Yemeni looking somalis are the mixed ones from when the arabs came to somalia
Basically xamar cad cad
And many habashi looking somalis are not somalis, same like bantu they have been in Somalia a long time but they are not our people
no I'm talking about 100% native somalis. who share features with the groups. their somali but dont "look" somali if that makes sense.

Somalis have alot of distinct looks and phenotypes. Our biggest variable is skin tone.

Just because there are a few that look different doesn't mean Somalis as a whole are mixed. Every Somali knows they could easily see if someone is Somali or not.

lol being shocked Somalis looking like Habeshas is like being shocked some Brits look like Norwegians.

And no Somali looks Bantu, and those who look somewhat Yemeni have mixed heritage.

Only a minority of Somalis look like Bantu or Yemeni half -caste .the remaining 80-90 percent of Somalis have similar looks and gain similar results on DNA testing .

Apollo

VIP
There are even Somali families where the siblings don't look anything like each other. This exact same phenomenon also exists on a macro level (within ethnicity).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending