Are most of somalis mixed with levantine?

Som

VIP
I've seen dozens upon dozens of reer Koonfur samples from all over in my time. I have yet to see anyone who has more than the 0.something I mentioned. There's honestly more who show trace amounts of South Asian, rofl.
Reer Koonfur is a broad term. Nomadic southern clans like Gedo Mareexaan, Murusade, Habar Gidir, nomadic Abgaal etc probably never interacted much with Bantus so they never mixed, however some settled or agricultural southern clans may have intermixed. There's nothing wrong with that, people mix all the time. I would be surprised if it didn't happen

Som

VIP
That's not true. Those outliers are usually complete outliers as in straight-up "Somali Bantus" or Cadcads. I have yet to see much of any actual reer Koonfur with Bantu admixture even in minute amounts. Take that one study we shared a while back with both reer Waqooyi iyo reer Koonfur. At first it looked like the reer Koonfur had Bantu admixture until you looked at the individual ADMIX results or the PCA and noticed like 90% of the reer Konnfur samples were identical to the reer Waqooyi samples and there were just a handful of complete outliers clustering with Kikuyus which were obviously Bantus.
Bantus show significant ethnic somali ancestry though. In this thread a somali bantu girl showed 14% Somali ancestry. If she has that it means mixing happened and maybe she has some distant causing who went on to become majority Somali after a few centuries

Apollo

VIP
Many European scholars alleged that Rahanweyn have Bantu admixture, I've never seen any claim of any other ethic southern clan having Bantu admixture though. Historically Rahanweyn and some Abgaal subclans were more likely to adopt Bantus in their clans, occasional mixing may have happened. I also suspect that some Bantu admixture is actually due to mixing with barwanis and other benadiris who have Arab+Swahili roots. If someone is Hawiye with a barwani mother it's likely this person will get 2-3% bantu

It is not present in all of them. I think it is like what you see with Khaleejis in studies. Many with 0%, while here and there outliers with a lot more.

reer

VIP
It is not present in all of them. I think it is like what you see with Khaleejis in studies. Many with 0%, while here and there outliers with a lot more.
its true. d&m have a different dhaqan than nomad clans. the phenotype is enough to see bantu admixture. they have more bantu blood than the rest of the geeljire race apart from maybe abgaal. but they lack a diaspora.

Apollo

VIP
its true. d&m have a different dhaqan than nomad clans. the phenotype is enough to see bantu admixture. they have more bantu blood than the rest of the geeljire race apart from maybe abgaal. but they lack a diaspora.

The Levant vs Khaleejis have a weird pattern when it comes to recent SSA.

In the Levant it is spread out through the entire population at a low percentage, except in the Christian Arabs (who weren't allowed to hold slaves), while in Khaleejis it is highly random, some tribes and regions with practically none and then all of a sudden places and tribes with a lot more (even when not including Afro-Arabs, but people who see themselves as ethnic majority Khaleeji).

Nalaaye floxks

Life is like a sandwich, the bread comes first💰💯
I’ve noticed that most of the DNA company’s like Gedmatch, Yourdnaportal, G25 etc show Levantine for most of the somali DNA results that I have seen online.
Yk how the habeshas have south arabian connections and their Afro sides coming from the indigenous agaws and the south indians being darker or browner because of their andamanese ancestors and the polynesians having ancient chinese genes? Yeah somalis are kinda the same thing, the ancient nilotes weren’t like the dinkas but they were probably darker than the nilotes today

Yk how the habeshas have south arabian connections and their Afro sides coming from the indigenous agaws and the south indians being darker or browner because of their andamanese ancestors and the polynesians having ancient chinese genes? Yeah somalis are kinda the same thing, the ancient nilotes weren’t like the dinkas but they were probably darker than the nilotes today

What do you base that on?

The Gumuz are 90% proto-Nilotic and they don't look that different to the 80% proto-Nilotic Dinka-Nuer; in fact the Dinka are taller and slimmer.

Here's a Gumuz lady and a child

ds-2-2.jpg

Nalaaye floxks

What do you base that on?

The Gumuz are 90% proto-Nilotic and they don't look that different to the 80% proto-Nilotic Dinka-Nuer; in fact the Dinka are taller and slimmer.

Here's a Gumuz lady and a child

View attachment 213496
So you saying that the Somali’s Nilotic side came from the gumuz people? That might be bilal’s people since he’s ethiopian

Apollo

VIP
The Gumuz are half or a quarter Ethiopian hunter-gatherer (without Eurasian). They may be more East African ancestrally than the Dinka due to geography, but I am not sure if they are necessarily more Nilote.

I think the Kunama are the closest to the Nilote ancestry in Cushites, but they are no longer pure and likely are all a quarter-Habesha or something.

So you saying that the Somali’s Nilotic side came from the gumuz people? That might be bilal’s people since he’s ethiopian

I doubt any of these modern population existed at that time; Bilal was most likely Habesha or Oromo -- not Nilotic... so you shouldn't try to align populations that were forced into an artificial, imperial State like "Ethiopia" with ancient dynamics and populations.

Nalaaye floxks

I doubt any of these modern population existed at that time; Bilal was most likely Habesha or Oromo -- not Nilotic... so you shouldn't try to align populations that were forced into an artificial, imperial State like "Ethiopia" with ancient dynamics and populations.
He was harari atleast

The Gumuz are half or a quarter Ethiopian hunter-gatherer (without Eurasian). They may be more East African ancestrally than the Dinka due to geography, but I am not sure if they are necessarily more Nilote.

I think the Kunama are the closest to the Nilote ancestry in Cushites, but they are no longer pure and likely are all a quarter-Habesha or something.

You could be right about an un-mixed Kunama-Nara population forming the 'proto-Nilotic' component of your ancestry, especially since they only very recently left Sudan and are linguistically the closest to Nobiin -- classical Nubian.

The Kunama-Nara are technically not Nilotic, so perhaps you guys just harbour the Central Saharan ancestry found in the Kunama-Nara and the Darfurians; true Nilotes (Dinka-Nuer) and Central Saharans (Kunama) share some of the same genes.

Apollo

VIP
You could be right about an un-mixed Kunama-Nara population forming the 'proto-Nilotic' component of your ancestry, especially since they only very recently left Sudan and are linguistically the closest to Nobiin -- classical Nubian.

The Kunama-Nara are technically not Nilotic, so perhaps you guys just harbour the Central Saharan ancestry found in the Kunama-Nara and the Darfurians; true Nilotes (Dinka-Nuer) and Central Saharans (Kunama) share some of the same genes.

I wonder if there are any legit Nilo-Saharan loanwords or grammatical structure in Cushitic. I think I saw a paper showing links in Beja, but I haven't seen a linguistic study showing it in Horn Cushitic.

Even in English despite the lack of Welsh vocabulary, they found that the grammatical use of ''to do'' (as in ''Do you need a horse?" - instead of ''You need a cow?" (like in other Germanic languages) came from Brittonic Celts.

I wonder if there are any legit Nilo-Saharan loanwords or grammatical structure in Cushitic. I think I saw a paper showing links in Beja, but I haven't seen a linguistic study showing it in Horn Cushitic.

Even in English despite the lack of Welsh vocabulary, they found that the grammatical use of ''to do'' (as in ''Do you need a horse?" - instead of ''You need a cow?" (like in other Germanic languages) came from Brittonic Celts.

@Apollo

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Beja has some Nilo-Saharan loanwords in light of their proximity to Nilo-Saharan speakers like the Kushites of Meroe and the Nubians of the Western desert.

You see this is yet another reason to be jelly of the Europeans; they have undertaken extensive research on their languages and anthropological and archaeological sites, whereas Africa has completely neglected these tremendously important fields.

chris-farley (1).gif

Last edited:
You only need to see videos of Baidoa and you'll see a lot of mixed looking people. I think its only the 3 mainly nomadic clans that lack bantu admixture, the others probably have many people with some arab/cad-cad admixture and even more Bantu admixture.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Many European scholars alleged that Rahanweyn have Bantu admixture, I've never seen any claim of any other ethic southern clan having Bantu admixture though. Historically Rahanweyn and some Abgaal subclans were more likely to adopt Bantus in their clans, occasional mixing may have happened. I also suspect that some Bantu admixture is actually due to mixing with barwanis and other benadiris who have Arab+Swahili roots. If someone is Hawiye with a barwani mother it's likely this person will get 2-3% bantu
Rahanweyn are not a formal clan, they are a confederation of farmers who banded together to form an umbrella. They will not have unanimous homogenous DNA results, I believe they even have a subclan called Dabarre which is fully Bantu incorporated.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Nearly all those with Bantu Admixture on 23andme also have recent Arab admixture to accompany it. It is essentially a packaged deal in most cases because they have Madow fever.

Though many Somalis are 100% Somali like yours truly some were not as lucky and have trace amounts of kifto, falafel, chapati and fufu. RIP.

Nearly all those with Bantu Admixture on 23andme also have recent Arab admixture to accompany it. It is essentially a packaged deal in most cases because they have Madow fever.

Though many Somalis are 100% Somali like yours truly some were not as lucky and have trace amounts of kifto, falafel, chapati and fufu. RIP.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Naming people after their signature dishes has always cracked me up; putting your fellow Horn Africans on that list is the icing on the cake.

Trending