Are Half-Somalis considered as "Somalis"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
This is a sentiment alot of Somalis have within the Somali community. This is what I was trying to say, that alot of Somalis don't care if the dad is Somali and carries the qabiil, as long as the mom isn't Somali, then the kid ain't Somali :kanyeshrug:.

So WE IZZ MATRILINEAL now

:russ::russ::russ:

i see dhaqdhaqaaqa xoraynta dumarka is being embraced by somali wayn

:dead::dead1::dead1::deadmanny:

ii sheeg abtirsigada & i'll tell you abaayo

Reer xamar ya katahay ?

Try asking people who're knowledgeable about your history they might be able to help out more, i'm not certain but from the little that i know you guys have diverse backgrounds like carab, persian, swahili etc.

@XamarCade ina adeerta caawis bay uu bahantahay sxb ee kale

The tribal name is Al-Amoudi and then to be more specific I think the name is Shaq-Amoudi for my dad's side from Banadir and my mum is Abdallo mixed with Bin Berek, ever heard of these names???
My parents always say that, originally, we are from Yemen but over time, because our ancestors mixed with Somalis we became mixed. So, basically, I would be half Somali half Yemen something like that. I'm not sure, but it's very confusing. I never know what to tell people when they ask me where I'm from.

SuldaanGuled

The tribal name is Al-Amoudi and then to be more specific I think the name is Shaq-Amoudi for my dad's side from Banadir and my mum is Abdallo mixed with Bin Berek, ever heard of these names???
My parents always say that, originally, we are from Yemen but over time, because our ancestors mixed with Somalis we became mixed. So, basically, I would be half Somali half Yemen something like that. I'm not sure, but it's very confusing. I never know what to tell people when they ask me where I'm from.

No i haven't but there's a sub tribe of sacad called cabdalle, laakin is cabdallo a sub tribe of reer xamar ? judging from what you've said so far your lineage is of arab descent because somalis as far as i know don't have clan/tribes names like Al-amoudi, this are names of arab tribes. Again even with the mixing it depends on gender if it was with a somali man then the children inherit the fathers lineage & are considered to be somali, if it's the opposite(somali woman) the children inherit the arab lineage.

Because you guys have probably stayed along time you've adopted the somali culture & language you see yourselves as somalis but if it happens that you know your lineage & it's not of somali descent then according to islam you can't say you're somali. However this doesn't mean you can't enjoy what both cultures have to offer. Being of a specific background has different aspects to it but the defining aspect is that you trace your ancestry from that background.

So even if you're not of somali descent this doesn't exclude you from taking part in the cultural traditions associated with somalis and enjoying them, tbh it's up to you how much you want to immerse yourself in somali culture. They're a lot of somalis who are of somali descent but culture wise they don't see themselves as somalis because they've adopted cultures from their host nations. They're somali in lineage only that's about it

Inshallah don't worry walaal as i know how challenging it must be but at the end of the day you don't have to tell them anything just go about your own business. One thing i would suggest it that you do as much research as you can asking parents etc once you've gotten a convincing answer then decide from there how you're going to respond to people when they ask you about your lineage. Sometimes people aren't bothered to know that much a simple answer will do. In your case if you were born in the west but your parents were born in somalia then just tell you're from somalia. Have you ever visited yemen ? how connected are you with yemeni culture ? maybe asking yourself such questions may prove to be beneficial.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Considering a lot of Reer xamars have been in Somalia for hundreds of years and have some Somali ancestry, I think it's pretty fair to call them Somali

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Considering a lot of Reer xamars have been in Somalia for hundreds of years and have some Somali ancestry, I think it's pretty fair to call them Somali
Most I've seen are usually 60 % Somali - 20 % Arab - 20 % South Asian or roughly that.

They're reer magaal so it's not like lineage matters as much to them. It's not like Syrians, or Algerians are all ethnically Arab.

I think the consensus is that Somalis are still divided on this topic. Some consider them Somali, some don't consider them Somali. Very interesting, but I do understand both sides.

However, I find it disgusting when Half-Somalis become hard-lined qabilists. That's when they need to STFU when it comes to qabyaalad. I don't care if your dad has a qabiil, you have no right to speak on qabiil with your half-breed self.

SuldaanGuled

It's a bit more complex than that as there are a number of factors that must be considered, the most important being having somali genealogy & this is traced through the father. Living hundreds of years in somalia doesn't make one a somali as this isn't the way how ancestry is determined. Having said this there are exceptions to this rule but this only applies to those who've forgotten their original ancestry & have adopted the somali ancestry. This category of people are different than those who still retain their origins.

Somali is both a reference to ethnicity and nationality you can be a somali national without being ethnically somali.

No i haven't but there's a sub tribe of sacad called cabdalle, laakin is cabdallo a sub tribe of reer xamar ? judging from what you've said so far your lineage is of arab descent because somalis as far as i know don't have clan/tribes names like Al-amoudi, this are names of arab tribes. Again even with the mixing it depends on gender if it was with a somali man then the children inherit the fathers lineage & are considered to be somali, if it's the opposite(somali woman) the children inherit the arab lineage.

Because you guys have probably stayed along time you've adopted the somali culture & language you see yourselves as somalis but if it happens that you know your lineage & it's not of somali descent then according to islam you can't say you're somali. However this doesn't mean you can't enjoy what both cultures have to offer. Being of a specific background has different aspects to it but the defining aspect is that you trace your ancestry from that background.

So even if you're not of somali descent this doesn't exclude you from taking part in the cultural traditions associated with somalis and enjoying them, tbh it's up to you how much you want to immerse yourself in somali culture. They're a lot of somalis who are of somali descent but culture wise they don't see themselves as somalis because they've adopted cultures from their host nations. They're somali in lineage only that's about it

Inshallah don't worry walaal as i know how challenging it must be but at the end of the day you don't have to tell them anything just go about your own business. One thing i would suggest it that you do as much research as you can asking parents etc once you've gotten a convincing answer then decide from there how you're going to respond to people when they ask you about your lineage. Sometimes people aren't bothered to know that much a simple answer will do. In your case if you were born in the west but your parents were born in somalia then just tell you're from somalia. Have you ever visited yemen ? how connected are you with yemeni culture ? maybe asking yourself such questions may prove to be beneficial.

Thank you for your answer :)

It is quite problematic to not know your lineage for certain. I will do my best to do research, but my asking my parents is quite confusing.
They were both born and raised in Somalia, but the way I was raised is not completely Somali and most of my family doesn't look Somali at all. Then again, we speak a dialect that is most close to Reer Xamar. For example: my name is Sabriin, I was born in Holland and I live in Holland = an magacaay waxa yaheey Saabriin, waxa ka dhalti Hollanda iyo waxa degenihi Hollanda. Very confusing :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:

It is quite problematic to not know your lineage for certain. I will do my best to do research, but my asking my parents is quite confusing.
They were both born and raised in Somalia, but the way I was raised is not completely Somali and most of my family doesn't look Somali at all. Then again, we speak a dialect that is most close to Reer Xamar. For example: my name is Sabriin, I was born in Holland and I live in Holland = an magacaay waxa yaheey Saabriin, waxa ka dhalti Hollanda iyo waxa degenihi Hollanda. Very confusing :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:

I will always consider you Somali, Saabriin macaan like caramel cheesecake :damedamn:

SuldaanGuled

I think the consensus is that Somalis are still divided on this topic. Some consider them Somali, some don't consider them Somali. Very interesting, but I do understand both sides.

However, I find it disgusting when Half-Somalis become hard-lined qabilists. That's when they need to STFU when it comes to qabyaalad. I don't care if your dad has a qabiil, you have no right to speak on qabiil with your half-breed self.

Sxb demuqraadi miyaa uu malaysa, arintaan consensus ma lahan ee iska iloow

:pachah1::pachah1:

You're threatning thounsands of years of traditions sxb ee noloosha khatar ha galiniin sxb

As long as they've the qabil blood that they've inherited from their father flowing through their veins they've the green light. That's what matters

:manny::manny::manny:

SuldaanGuled

Dhib male walaal

Ilaahay haku sahlo, with time it will get easier inshallah

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
If the father is Somali then yes they're a Somali but if your mother is Somali & your father is from Calcutta then you're a hindu Hindi baba ding ding mongrel red dot having statue worshipping mofo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts