Arabization of Eritrea

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP

Eritrean Muslim elite who represent half of the Eritrean population are promoting the Arabization of the Muslims. Eritrean Muslims look to Sudan, their neighbors, and are trying to Arabize the diverse Muslim tribes of the Eritrean lowlands into becoming Arabic speakers. Already Muslim ethnic groups like Saho have a Arab ancestry story, once they become completely Arabized and lose their tongue, they'll identify as solely Arab.

I've noticed this trend as well amongst Eritrean Muslims.

I think the driving motivation behind this Arabisation is the desire of Eritrean Muslims to coalesce into one New Ethnic Group & they view Arabic as the best neutral language that can unify the Muslims of Eritrea. On top of that, Eritrean Muslims have deep love for the Arabic language.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
I've noticed this trend as well amongst Eritrean Muslims.

I think the driving motivation behind this Arabisation is the desire of Eritrean Muslims to coalesce into one New Ethnic Group & they view Arabic as the best neutral language that can unify the Muslims of Eritrea.

The two most important things are Nasab and Mother tongue. Many Muslim ethnic groups in the Horn claim Arab forefather but what's preventing them from identifying as Arab is that they don't speak Arabic as their mother language.

Once you lose your tongue however and adopt Arabic language as your mother tongue you'll begin to identify yourself as an Arab since Horners already have created an Arabian Nasab. Once they become linguistically Arabized, the Arab identification will soon follow.

Doesn’t sound bad imo. What’s the point in teaching your son Saho when there’s barely any speakers and no media that uses Saho :manny: rather teach my son Arabic

Last edited:
The two most important things are Nasab and Mother tongue. Many Muslim ethnic groups in the Horn claim Arab forefather but what's preventing them from identifying as Arab is that they don't speak Arabic as their mother language.

Once you lose your tongue however and adopt Arabic language as your mother tongue you'll begin to identify yourself as an Arab since Horners already have created an Arabian Nasab. Once they become linguistically Arabized, the Arab identification will soon follow.
Beja people are also undergoing Arabisation, although it's gradual. More of them are adopting Arabic as their first language and are assimilating into the Sudanese Arab Ethnic group.

ibn Yahya Al-Sooli

Anti-Qabiilism & Anti-Nationalism
I’m strongly against arabization. There’s strength in diversity and imo as an ummah the more diverse we are the stronger we are. Preserve the good in your culture and legacy of your forefathers that don’t contradict Islam. Arabic as a language however should be a second official language in every Muslim country and be mandatory to learn in schools, that’s my opinion

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
I’m strongly against arabization. There’s strength in diversity and imo as an ummah the more diverse we are the stronger we are. Preserve the good in your culture and legacy of your forefathers that don’t contradict Islam. Arabic as a language however should be a second official language in every Muslim country and be mandatory to learn in schools, that’s my opinion
bro wallahi the first time i saw your name i thought you were pro shawarma

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Mashallah Tabarakallah Yaa Habibi
Yaa Rab thank you for spreading the beautiful language of Arabic.
Beja guys have always identified largely as Arabs.

Eritrean Muslim elite who represent half of the Eritrean population are promoting the Arabization of the Muslims. Eritrean Muslims look to Sudan, their neighbors, and are trying to Arabize the diverse Muslim tribes of the Eritrean lowlands into becoming Arabic speakers. Already Muslim ethnic groups like Saho have a Arab ancestry story, once they become completely Arabized and lose their tongue, they'll identify as solely Arab.

Dont bring Sudan into this debate . Most Eris unless they grew up in Sudan don't speak Arabic, even the ones who do, speak it with a broken accent.

Those Eris on that Twitter thread are nothing more than Arab begs like @Cyrus

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Dont bring Sudan into this debate ******. Most Eris unless they grew up in Sudan don't speak Arabic, even the ones who do speak it with a broken accent

Its not meant to be offensive, I just said that since Sudan is their country neighbour and many Eritreans go to Sudan they naturally get influenced. Relax, no need to be so aggressive.

Also many Eritreans speak Arabic even those that have never stepped foot in Sudan. Eritrean presence in the Arab World is widespread

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Dont bring Sudan into this debate ******. Most Eris unless they grew up in Sudan don't speak Arabic, even the ones who do, speak it with a broken accent.

Those Eris on that Twitter thread are nothing more than Arab begs like @Cyrus

I have an Eri bedrin who speaks fasiix carabi, very well spoken. I wonder if Somalis spoke it as a first language, would we be more developed? :cosbyhmm:

Trending

Latest posts