Arabic loanwords in the Somali language thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
aqli, caadi, cajeeb, saxib, miskeen, qaali

The only thing I don't like is the fact that ayrabs like to eavesdrop whenever they hear Somalis speak. Makes me wish I could speak swahili with my friends.

VIP
That's Northern Somali dialect Djibouti / Sonalilland and a bit of North East Somalia

The more South you go the language changes and is completely different when you reach Kenya.

But good and bad news our superior Northern dialect is being spread by their government in the South by their State TV. I kinda hate this because our differences make us stronger and more fun to laugh at each other using certain words

Yo they speak the northern dialect when they're trying to sound fancy. Says it all lool, we win

aqli, caadi, cajeeb, saxib, miskeen, qaali

The only thing I don't like is the fact that ayrabs like to eavesdrop whenever they hear Somalis speak. Makes me wish I could speak swahili with my friends.

Swahili is more Arab like than Somali.

Somalis at least changed the words a bit, Kenyans just copy and pasted Arab words and use it.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
One somali region with more arabic loan words doesn't make Somali language full of loan words, there are other places with almost all the things said in somali language

One somali region with more arabic loan words doesn't make Somali language full of loan words, there are other places with almost all the things said in somali language

This is a stupid premise.

Somalis have been using Arab loan words for centuries, as with Kenyans and Tanzanians.

Maybe SL uses Arabic a lot more but that does not mean that Arabic isn't a major part of the Somali language.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Guys I created this thread so we could list all
Arabic loanwords we have in our Somali language.

Such as

Milx
Muwaadiin
etc.etc. there are many

Add more to the list let's go.
Milix Cusbo
kursi (chair)
Kursi fadhi ama gambar= even tho it's three legged chair
caadi
albaab
Albaab heard there's another word for this, Irid:ayaanswag:

Caadi fcn lol
so
These were good ones. Never heared the other ones much.

NacAllah - لعنة الله
Dariiq - طريق
Dariiq jid ama wadda... There's also dhabo

Digaag
Maraq
Sacad
Farxad
Xaaqin
Macaliin
And many more here is a PDF that includes 300 Arabic loan words
http://www.academia.edu/4874976/300_Arabic_Loan_Verbs_in_Somali
I'll only try the ones Ik.. I'm not expert on this, so bear with me, lol
Digaag there are some people who use doorey.. idk
Maraq suugo
Macalin wadaad... it seems to be macalin, cause of Islam influence

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
This is a stupid premise.

Somalis have been using Arab loan words for centuries, as with Kenyans and Tanzanians.

Maybe SL uses Arabic a lot more but that does not mean that Arabic isn't a major part of the Somali language.
Do all the Somalis speak Arabised Somali?:cosbyhmm: don't jump to conclusion... what about the miyi/baadiyo people.... they use their own words, c'mon don't be a foolish:draketf: some I'd seen even had oromo-like words and not arabic..

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
They even call the Imam who leads Prayers:

Iman?!!?!!?

That's when I gave up.
Those are the ones who can't pronounce much, hence they say it like that.. However the word Iman can be used like Imaan.. like Imaanka alla kaa qaad

Those who know say it right which is Imaam/imam..

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Swahili is more Arab like than Somali.

Somalis at least changed the words a bit, Kenyans just copy and pasted Arab words and use it.
You're right with this one.. I speak swahili too, so I know what you mean by that.. however tanzanian swahili is more accurate than the one in Kenya..

Do all the Somalis speak Arabised Somali?:cosbyhmm: don't jump to conclusion... what about the miyi/baadiyo people.... they use their own words, c'mon don't be a foolish:draketf: some I'd seen even had oromo-like words and not arabic..

I am from Mudug, the heartland of traditional Somali.

My parents sent me to Mudug at 6 for 2 weeks and for 3 months when I was 15 to learn Soomali rasmi.

I noticed that there are 4 ways of speaking Somali:

1. Arabic based Somali: Spoken by most Somalis (Either knowingly or unknowningly)

2. English based Somali: The future of Somali (diaspora are already mixing English w Somali)

3. Italian based Somali: The language of the kacaan generation and Xamar residents (almost dead)

4. Oromo based Somali: What reer baadiyo are starting to speak (worst case scenario)

Out of all of these options, I would prefer Somali with Arabic loan words.

Status
Not open for further replies.