Arab Sheikh calls out Somalis for using “Abdi” as a name, says it’s haram

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
says abdi means my slave and the prophet saw prohibited anyone from calling a slave abdi yet somalis use it as a name. I knew Abdi meant my slave and we don’t mean it that way but I’m still embarrassed @Abdisamad @AbdiFreedom :liberaltears:

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Arabs when Somalis come to their countries and introduce themselves as Abdi (+)
1696916202417.jpeg

says abdi means my slave and the prophet saw prohibited anyone from calling a slave abdi yet somalis use it as a name. I knew Abdi meant my slave and we don’t mean it that way but I’m still embarrassed @Abdisamad @AbdiFreedom :liberaltears:
he is telling the truth. We should really stop calling ourselves literal slaves. On the other hand, the word "abdi" lost the slave meaning and doesn't really mean much in the somali world.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
I always wondered why no one pointed it out. Is it due to others feeling second hand embarrassment? I remember in my life when every Somali person falsely kept telling this one Somali guy named Rashid that his identity is haram. Some of those same people were Abdis. How ironic and hypocritical.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Sheikh said it all they should say their full name instead of being lazy and going with abdi.
I remember in high school every other farax would call themselves Abdi
:mjcry:
Maybe having all these cadaan boys call them abdi everyday subconsciously messed with their psych and that’s why they started this Macrobian, we are caucasians, Cadaan bootyclapping shit on the internet
:ohhh:
According to my suugo science,@Lebron James @Gafgin your names have to be Abdi
:patrice::mjlol:

Abdi is used as a prefix followed by a name of Allah (e.g Abdirashid, Abdinasir, Abdullahi)
I've never seen someone name simply abdi lol

I always wondered why no one pointed it out. Is it due to others feeling second hand embarrassment? I remember in my life when every Somali person falsely kept telling this one Somali guy named Rashid that his identity is haram. Some of those same people were Abdis. How ironic and hypocritical.
Looooool

@Bringer of Wisdom Why the qashin? It’s true.
Language is like a chameleon; it doesn't always stick to the rules when it comes to borrowing words and names from different places. This fluidity enables inventive adaptations, serving as a mirror of culture and enhancing the richness of communication. Names such as "Adan" substituting for "Adam" and "Xamse" in place of "Hamza" illustrate this, showcasing the evolutionary aspect of language without sacrificing the core meaning. These variations should be embraced, not criticized, as they represent diverse cultural expressions.

So all in all, we should stick to the Somali versions. As we are at the end of the day Somali.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
he is telling the truth. We should really stop calling ourselves literal slaves. On the other hand, the word "abdi" lost the slave meaning and doesn't really mean much in the somali world.
exactly, even shortening the the names of Abdul+Something is abode, abdah, abod, abdo, etc, never abdi.

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
Language is like a chameleon; it doesn't always stick to the rules when it comes to borrowing words and names from different places. This fluidity enables inventive adaptations, serving as a mirror of culture and enhancing the richness of communication. Names such as "Adan" substituting for "Adam" and "Xamse" in place of "Hamza" illustrate this, showcasing the evolutionary aspect of language without sacrificing the core meaning. These variations should be embraced, not criticized, as they represent diverse cultural expressions.

So all in all, we should stick to the Somali versions. As we are at the end of the day Somali.
I agree except in this case given that the Somali version has unsavoury connotations

Trending