Apparently the diraac isn’t somali but Oromo

We’ve been bullied by foreign industries since forever. Now we provide the world’s small need for livestock and bananas while we consume their finished products. I’ve considered investing in/creating some clothing with authentic Somali inspirations only to realize it would fold under pressure from cheap cloths made in China or some such. Perhaps relegated to a few purchases from hobbyists. That’s the world we live in I guess.

Don't give up! Just find a way to make it abroad for cheap and import it.
It will still be Somali owned.

Make sure you have a "Somali owned" label so consumers can recognise the effort.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Nah the diraac is Somali, just because a piece of clothing shares similarities with another does not mean it’s said clothing. Hell the guntiino looks a like how the sari was worn in the early 20th century. Obviously the guntiino is not a sari ripoff.
upload_2019-7-13_1-27-0.jpeg

upload_2019-7-13_1-30-33.jpeg

Notice how both pieces of clothing are wrapped near the shoulder? Well that doesn’t necessarily mean they are the same. Correlation doesn’t equal causation or however that saying went.

Diraacs and Batis(because I honestly don’t know the difference :kendrickcry::mjkkk:) today are different from the ones back in the day. The fabric is thinner and longer so women can drap and fold it.
upload_2019-7-13_1-35-47.jpeg

Notice how long and droopy it looks. Well people didn’t have that sort of fabric back in the day. Silk is super expensive especially back then and chiffon and polyester are recent inventions. The average Somali women could not have been able to afford a more flowy fabric like silk. I have my own theory that the diraac today evolved from a more stiff, boxy shape.
upload_2019-7-13_1-39-35.jpeg

Now I don’t know for sure, it’s just a guess after all.

Back to the topic on hand, clothing is different from other aspects of culture. You really don’t know. Some people on this thread have attributed the turban to Arab culture. This is true but only to a certain extent. Many other cultures have their own turbans, so is it solely an Arab thing?

In conclusion everyone here is shaqo la’aan, go find a hobby smh UFFF.

Its Somali, only the Oromos that border us wear it. For obvious reasons.

He's confused.

Lol my dad and his family wore it and are from an area (jimma is where my grand father is from but my parents grew up in adoola which is gujiland) where we actually don't border Somalis. Not sure of its origin though.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Lol my dad and his family wore it and are from an area (jimma is where my grand father is from but my parents grew up in adoola which is gujiland) where we actually don't border Somalis. Not sure of its origin though.
The Dirac is worn by most horn of African cushitic groups like hararis afars oromos

Hararis women
220px-Harar_tradition.jpg

Afar women
images (5).jpeg

That's probably exclusive to the heads of Qabils but that's something I'd like to wear when I have at least the control of my gobol. To show that although I'm not the reer boqor I am equal to or above them. These kind of symbols are very important for someone to assert political control in a population. Something that the governments missed when they adopted western clothing such as suits which make them appear foreign to a large amount of the country.

Why do you fucking care about my tribe? My tribe is of no CONCERN to any Somali who has no personal relations with me. Once I step outside the house, I am Somali. Any nomad who doesn't feel comfortable with me, friendly , or brotherly, because they don't know my clan, THEY CAN GO f*ck THEMSELVES.
We as diaspora shouldn't begin with qabil stuff at all. There's probably half a million of us born in Western.
Although we are called hoyoo mataalo and are the laughing stock according to malnutritioned illiterates in shacks made of scrap steel, we are the future.

One of us amongst a sea of fobs is nothing. We would be insignificant if we're spread out and useless in major cities. What we should do is live in very segregated diaspora only communities at first. I won't accept assimilating to the living standards back home, they will assume our standards and for that you must lead by example.

So I would buy land in the middle of nowhere. Sell the land exclusively to diaspora folk and make miniature functioning government amongst ourselves. For example 100 households would be enough to put in 100 a month for private security. Do the same for other utilities like water and rubbish collection. Employ nearby geeljires and allow 10% of your town to be reer badis. They will live with the same living standards as us, participate in a functioning government and understand the benefits of this standard of living. Their children will go to the same schools as ours so they will have a drastically better life.

That's one of my solutions. I find it weird that we have to become accustomed to their lifestyle as dhaqan celis when it should be the opposite

Dirac is somali, Ogaden gave the culture to oromo after we Ogaden conquered and civilised and islamised many eastern oromo, before that they were barbairans, cawaan, primative, semi naked nomads,

oromo have become like somalis, claim everything, soon they will claim the moon belongs to them, mark my word, they will claim they went to the moon before america thus helium 3 resources should belong online to them,

soon they will also claim baranbur and dhaanto,

Actually Dirac was given to Oromo from Somaliland i evaluated this because of the way they call it, But i agree with you they can wear it if they dont claim it as theirs

Its Somali, only the Oromos that border us wear it. For obvious reasons.

He's confused.

A lot of family are from Jimma, which is nowhere the border with somalis and they wear it, so... Idk? Honestly doesn't matter to me who created it, since we all borrow words, foods, clothes, etc from each other. It's the nature of human interaction..

Trending