Anti-Fasting: I Will not fast . . . said my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
Greetings folks,

I have a friend who has deliberately chosen to not fast this month because she feels like fasting is a cultural-phenomena instead of it being a religious-phenomena.

When i asked her why she's not fasting? She replied that she's been doing it her whole life simply because she was raised to do it, and the taught of never doing it never occurred to her because it was so blasphemous, but now that she's grown she's decided that it is inauthentic for her to do it simply because she's afraid to go against the grain and not do it.

More exactly, she said that she feels the activity of fasting has no higher spiritual meaning for her. It has become, for her, a mindless physical activity that's more like dieting. In fact, she admitted that for the past few years, the main reason why she fasted was because she taught that it would save her money and help her lose some weight.

It seems that she's having a spiritual crisis and is on her way to being an agnostic.
Any advice of how to help her would be appreciated.
Please don't quote hadiths or quran verses, when i tried to do that, she literally said that her main problem isn't with the religion itself, but it is with the disconnection between how the deen says we "should" live and be connected to Allah, and the reality of life wherein most people care more about money, work, reputation, status, culture, than they do about deen. Most people say religious stuff, using the quran and hadith, but they don't really practice it.

In short, she is becoming more and more disillusion with religious people and with her own pretense of being spiritually engaged. Advice?

dr.leorio

death\emitter
I don't have any advice to give you based on my life experiences but it seems to me she has forgotten WHY Muslims fast in the first place. Maybe she needs to relearn and understand the point of it all as western society and cultural expectations being shoved down our throats daily can easily confuse ones purpose in life.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
More exactly, she said that she feels the activity of fasting has no higher spiritual meaning for her. It has become, for her, a mindless physical activity that's more like dieting.

that's her own fault.

Greetings folks,

I have a friend who has deliberately chosen to not fast this month because she feels like fasting is a cultural-phenomena instead of it being a religious-phenomena.

When i asked her why she's not fasting? She replied that she's been doing it her whole life simply because she was raised to do it, and the taught of never doing it never occurred to her because it was so blasphemous, but now that she's grown she's decided that it is inauthentic for her to do it simply because she's afraid to go against the grain and not do it.

More exactly, she said that she feels the activity of fasting has no higher spiritual meaning for her. It has become, for her, a mindless physical activity that's more like dieting. In fact, she admitted that for the past few years, the main reason why she fasted was because she taught that it would save her money and help her lose some weight.

It seems that she's having a spiritual crisis and is on her way to being an agnostic.
Please don't quote hadiths or quran verses, when i tried to do that, she literally said that her main problem isn't with the religion itself, but it is with the disconnection between how the deen says we "should" live and be connected to Allah, and the reality of life wherein most people care more about money, work, reputation, status, culture, than they do about deen. Most people say religious stuff, using the quran and hadith, but they don't really practice it.

In short, she is becoming more and more disillusion with religious people and with her own pretense of being spiritually engaged. Advice?
Tell her to visit Mecca if she is financially capable. Do some part of her Ramadan there. It really lifts the iman to the highest possible levels.

Khalid Hussein

بسم الله الرحمن الر حيم
Greetings folks,

Give her this Ayah

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous
Surah al baqarah Ayah 183

This ayah clearly show why God tol us to fast, he told us to fast because he commanded us, as he commanded the nations before. The parents didn't mention why we have to fast.

When you fast no joke you won't have a second thought to do bad, because God lock away the devils this month.

The problem is her, she doesn't understand she is wrong she is covering her self with a veil of lies.

If she doesn't understand her existance explain it to her,
Allah created Man and jinn to worship him only but she does not understand
I used to a have a philosphical friend who called him self muslim by name he only talked about why god is lie. I always said

وَإِذَا سَمِعُوا اللَّغْوَ أَعْرَضُوا عَنْهُ وَقَالُوا لَنَا أَعْمَالُنَا وَلَكُمْ أَعْمَالُكُمْ سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ لَا نَبْتَغِي الْجَاهِلِينَ

He said to me why do you qoute always on book you heavly rely on.

I said to him How are you muslim if you say god is a lie.

She is going through something huge, she doesn't understand she doesn't know because she is the dumb, deaf and blind from the truth.

Allah revealed the Quran to those who really want to know who their lord is. This a miracle, maybe she might qoute from an ayah and she won't understand the interpreation the Ayah.

Only Allah can guide

You are she friend sister you have a chance to tell her

But she does not understand,

If you are a believer say

وَإِذَا سَمِعُوا اللَّغْوَ أَعْرَضُوا عَنْهُ وَقَالُوا لَنَا أَعْمَالُنَا وَلَكُمْ أَعْمَالُكُمْ سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ لَا نَبْتَغِي الْجَاهِلِينَ

Khalid Hussein

بسم الله الرحمن الر حيم
That's her choice. You can't force an adult to do something they don't want to. It stops being religious and just become coercion.:manny:
I fear consequences but prince atheist wants atheism to spread. It is not your chioce my friend it is God who willed this to happen

Khalid Hussein

بسم الله الرحمن الر حيم
I'm an atheist because I don't worship Arabs? Nice try cabiid.

Go back to the kitchen yaa cabd al aswad and make afur for your master.
I believe in Allah and his messenger who was an Arab.

I worship the only one God, Allah

Yes, I am a cabiid I am a cabiid to Allah.

Some parents just push the deen on their kids with the fear game, of if you don't you'll go to hell; usually the parents with little Islamic knowledge do this. This can push them further away as they grow up not knowing the purpose to things in Islam.
It starts off with who the person socializes with, then goes on to joining group/ taking classes that promote agnostic/athiestic beliefs eg. Marxism groups, feminism groups, Philosophy classes, Gender Studies, Social sciences etc..
Make sure she stays away from the mentioned groups above as well as her being more around practicing muslims. But most importantly to have a full understanding of why she is muslim and her purpose in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts